Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tsukihime  (Read 7155 times)

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tsukihime
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

If this game was made by Europeans or (God forbid!) Americans and was a text adventure would you still like it, or do you only like it because it's so omgkawaiidesu?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

Alright, considering no one else (besides the OP) has played this game, I'll take the dive and report my findings. Who knows, it may be as good as umiman is hyping it up to be.

EDIT: Ah, of course. I actually need the original game. This is merely a translation. No thanks then.

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Gaulgath ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

The game seems to be just over a gig. I've got other things taking up my bandwidth, so I can't do it right now.

SpinningCaveman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 08:30:00 pm »

I actually played this shortly after the translation was released ('Oh! This guy plays game that have drawings of boobs in them! GET HIM!').. I'll throw my two cents in.

It's a visual novel revolving around vampires and some other supernatural stuff. That means you read a lot, vampires kill some people, some vampires get killed in return, and you occasionally get the chance to choose between several different options that influence how the story will unfold.

So, basically the 'gameplay' offered is little more than a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' book, with some choices leading to good ends, some bad, others instant doom. The artwork isn't the greatest by any stretch of the imagination, and whatever sound/music involved wasn't worth me remembering. As a result, that 'Lets Play' link mentioned earlier is actually a great alternative to actually downloading, installing, and playing the game (Which takes about 15 or so hours to see all the endings, by my guess).

As exciting as that sounds.. Tsukihime is actually one of the better visual novel games released, as it offers a pretty good story filled with some interesting characters, especially compared to other adult oriented games in the visual novel genre which are generally little more than sex romps.

If I remember correctly, the translation patch (Which is fan made, but is easily professional quality) actually has the option to remove all of the sexually explicit scenes (There's only a handful of them) from the game, which just goes to show that there is an actual story in there that some people consider to be worth reading on it's own.. In fact, the game has actually expanded out into other games, manga, and an animated tv series.

The violence as I recall isn't terribly graphic.. I actually don't remember any horribly violent images in the game (I think there's a scene with a few dead bodies and some blood.. Barely R-rated gore, if that), and the OP's text is easily the most graphic scene in the game, and it's SUPPOSED to be that way. I don't want to throw spoilers into it, but that scene is really supposed to come across as being a horribly violent, barbaric, savage, and cruel. It's supposed to be an uncomfortable scene. It really wouldn't work any other way.

All in all.. Is it a mind shattering, award-worthy tale? Not really.. But it's worth a look. I recommend it if you're interested, provided you're old enough to handle adult content and can muster up the strength to stomach a few drawings of naked ladies. It's hardly the 'butcher people while they're still alive while having sex with nuns atop a pile of rotting corpses' game that some people seem to think it is.

Hell, I think some of the Conan books are more graphic than this game..

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

Vote yes to Guro! Vote no to Yuri and yes to Yaoi!
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

Okay, so definitely NOT on the level of American psycho *shudder*
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>Okay, so definitely NOT on the level of American psycho *shudder*</STRONG>

I ate a handfull of sand....I killed a small dog.  :eek:

Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

And the rest.

All in that bland, blank tone.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

American Psycho would make a great videogame if only for the media shitstorm.
Pages: 1 2 [3]