Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: !![40d]!! Seeds traded from traders do not show up on the plantable crops menu  (Read 5994 times)

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, since there seems to be mass confusion on my situation here I will restate my bug report in a more concise manner.  So as to avoid accusations of editing my post to make others look stupid I will leave the old post at the bottom.  Please read the WHOLE post before you attempt to help.  I'm tired of people who don't understand what is going on replying that I can't grow something out of it's habitat.  This is NOT what is going on here.  Thank you.

Fact 1:  I am currently growing in my outdoor farms the following crops and their biome restrictions:
Code: [Select]
Whip Vines          [SAVAGE][BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
Hide Root           [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
Blade Weed          [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
Rat Weed            [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
Longland Grass      [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
Wild Strawberries   [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
Prickle Berries     [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]

Obviously I am in a Savage Non-freezing biome.

Fact 2:  Elves come to trade bringing a bag of fisher berry seeds and no rope reed.
Code: [Select]
Fisher Berry        [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
Rope Reed           [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]

Fact 3:  I have never had any rope reed or rope reed seeds prior to the elves coming.  The elves have not brought any, and before they came I am unable to choose to plant rope reed at my farms.

Fact 4:  After I buy 20 fisher berry seeds from the elves, my farms do not gain the ability to grow fisher berries.  Instead they can be set to grow rope reed, something I have never seen before at this fort.

Fact 5:  In July 27, 2008, Troas posted:http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21740.0.
Quote from: Troas
After purchasing a bag of sun berry seeds I was unable to plant them for 2 years, until the caravan showed up again with sun berry fruit.  The world was created in 39c, and subsequently upgraded to 39d.  I have before and after saves (small region, aprox 2MB each) if they would be useful.

edit: another oddity - whip vine planting was also turned on, even though I have no whip vine seeds.  However the caravan did bring a bag of whip vine flour.   

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:57:30 PM by Troas » 

Toady downloaded the saves and said he would take a look.
He also said after:
Quote from: Troas
After the elves arrived with a bag of whip vine flour and a cluster of sunberries I was able to plant my existing sunberry seeds and whip vines showed up as plantable even though I did not have any vine seeds.

Fact 6:  The seeds I bought were in a rope reed bag.  While I haven't had the chance to buy fisher berries yet I believe that once I buy the berries, or a berry product, I will be able to plant.

Fact 7:  It has been several releases since then and the fix hasn't been made.  I am alerting Toady to this fact and providing him another save should he need one before and after.

Bug 1:  Having seeds should allow you to plant seeds in an appropriate farm plot if you biome is right.  If I can grow any of the crops I am growing, the raws state that fisher berries should be able to grow as well.

Bug 2:  Buying any sort of product made from a plant incorrectly allows you to select that plant in the fields regardless of whether or not you have seeds.  I do not know if it violates biome restrictions, but I doubt this fact.

I have provided a link to my saved games here: http://www.chthonicone.com:8000/save.zip
If you have any questions, please play with the save and see if I am making a mistake somewhere.  First save is in the beginning of the spring before the elves arrive.  It may be that they won't bring the same stuff this run, but I'm not sure if it's set at the beginning of the year or not.

Please do not repeat the same useless help over and over again.  It is not helpful, and borders on trolling.  I understand it may have been unintentional and hold no grudges, but it aggrivates me all the same.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:57:46 pm by Chthon »
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Crops must be planted in their appropriate biomes.  If you cannot plant a crop in a location, it means that you do not have the correct biome.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really, wow, that explains how I can plant rope reeds that I've never found or traded for at my fortress.  Wow!

I just looked in the raws and this is what I found:

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:BERRIES_FISHER]
[TILE:58][COLOR:7:0:0]
[NAME:fisher berry][NAME_PLURAL:fisher berries]
[WET][BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
[VALUE:2]
[GENPOWER:1]
[DRINK:fisher berry wine:6:0:1]
[DRINKVALUE:2]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:50]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[PREFSTRING:round shape]
[SEED:0:0:1]

They grow in any non-freezing biome which certainly fits my own.  Wet/dry only suggests how far from water they can be found.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:09:31 am by Chthon »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

I'm probably just repeating something you already know, but some crops have to be planted above ground.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, just tried making a plot right on the water to match the [WET] tag but no luck.  After all you grow rope reed outside as well (which also has the [WET] tag)

Frankly this was just to give Toady another set of saves which he could use to attempt reproduction of the bug.  Honestly, I've found wetland crops here too.  According to the biome of where I'm at, the only thing I shouldn't be able to grow is valley herb.  Everything else matches up.  (well, other than the ones that can't be grown)  My main question is why did it add rope reed?  That is bizarre even considering the other posted bug reports.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

40d is on fire?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile

40d is on fire?

Damn you Draco. Always stealing my jokes.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

40d is on fire?

For ages I thought Draco's name was Disco18s.  Don't ask me why, I have no idea.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile

!!rofwof!!

:)

Best advise is to harvest local plants on the desired location of your farm and grow those.
Then check the wiki for plants that fit in the same niche.
Although buying a bag of seed never bankrupted anyone (for trial and error testing).
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am growing seeds that fall into the niche any but freezing and any wetlands both.  Obviously I'm in a non-freezing wetlands.  This fits the niche of the fisher berries.  Still you ignore the fact that it gave me the option to grow something I had neither found seed, nor fruit of when I bought the fisherberry seeds.

My mistake, I am not growing wetlands products as I thought.  Read my edit of the OP for a concise description of the problem.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:58:38 pm by Chthon »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

40d is on fire?

For ages I thought Draco's name was Disco18s.  Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

Draco is the name, 18 is a number, and the s is possessive (hurray for Homestead's URLs being [name].homestead.com).

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am growing seeds that fall into the niche any but freezing and any wetlands both.  Obviously I'm in a non-freezing wetlands.  This fits the niche of the fisher berries.  Still you ignore the fact that it gave me the option to grow something I had neither found seed, nor fruit of when I bought the fisherberry seeds.

My mistake, I am not growing wetlands products as I thought.  Read my edit of the OP for a concise description of the problem.

It does this for all plants which you can plant in your biome. If you have no cave wheat seeds you can set the farm to cave wheats, just nothing will be planted.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I said I'm growing these things.  This means they have been planted and sprouted.

The bug is that I can't set it to plant at all.  It won't show up.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New update:  Buying some fisher berry wine enabled me to plant fisher berries.  My hypothesis is that trading for seeds simply does not generate the event that causes it to become plantable.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

I have become horribly confused at this point.  Will someone pool all the info here into one post stating which is true, false, and unknown?
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2