Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] World file corrupted  (Read 1191 times)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
[40d] World file corrupted
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:01:57 pm »

After abandoning my last fortress, my world data seems to have experienced some kind of corruption. Any attempt to (e)mbark on a new fortress crashes after the Prepare menu.

Reinstalling the software doesn't help. Loading any of my earlier autosaves, abandoning that fortress, and then proceeding also crashes. Generating a new world does not crash.

The error message I receive is "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, Runtime Error! Program: C:\Documents a..."

Which isn't very useful.

I haven't tried playing any of the non-fortress modes yet.

Any suggestions on how to debug this issue further?

Edit: Legend mode and Adventurer mode work fine. I'd really prefer not to have to start an entirely new world. Help, please?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:41:22 pm by Romeofalling »

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] World file corrupted
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:20:24 pm »

Questions for you:
Have you moved the save or game folders recently? Ive seen alot of corruption occur cause people didnt move the whole world only the save.

Have you updated dwarf fortress ontop of anouther dwarf fortress folder? Dwarf fortress needs a clean install directory to avoid wierd thing happening

Have you changed any init or modded anything into/out of game?

These questions should help other in the know to isolate this case. Also would be helpful I guess to provide the region save for analysis but I dont know if Toady or anyone else would need it or not.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 04:44:13 am »

I renamed the folder, and deleted many other folders in the Save folder. I wasn't aware that the save folders were not the entire world. I'm pretty sure I did that after discovering the error, though, not before.

Since the last time I tried to create a new fortress, I believe I've only made one change to the init -- turning on Show All History In Dwarf Mode.

It's pretty moot now. I created a new world and fortress.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:47:29 am »

If you're currently playing a world, the real data should in the "current" folder, otherwise it should all be in the region# folder.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 09:59:46 pm »

So, is it safe to rename a region folder or not?