Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's Obsidian?  (Read 1336 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
What's Obsidian?
« on: November 03, 2008, 11:54:35 pm »

Okay, so magma+water makes obsidian.  Well, what happens if you're playing in a world without obsidian?  As in, it's been taken out of the raws?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: What's Obsidian?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:57:30 pm »

Most likely, horrible explosive glitches.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:00:24 am »

... maybe the lava would just evaporate the water. = temperature of lava comes into effect?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:00:55 am »

Well, yes, but I was looking for something more specific, from someone who is more willing to risk it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:56:01 am »

Too busy/tired to try, but since magma pipes have to be surrounded by something akin to a obsidian stone entry, it would probably just infinitely fail to generate a world if you took obsidian out.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 08:45:42 am »

You can add the [LAVA] tag to another stone and it'll work fine, but you do need to have a stone with LAVA (Haven't tried more than one) or you can't gen a world.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 08:50:21 am »

You can add the [LAVA] tag to another stone and it'll work fine, but you do need to have a stone with LAVA (Haven't tried more than one) or you can't gen a world.
So we could make magma that turn into adamantine when mixed with water?  Nice.
Just so I remember

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 08:52:19 am »

Actually, i think it'd just crash if you tried mixing, but that depends on how much Lava+Water is based off the tag and how much is based off hardcoding.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 08:53:26 am »

I would assume so, I haven't tried it with a metal ore, but I have tried making random types of stone this way.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 09:05:34 am »

I would assume so, I haven't tried it with a metal ore, but I have tried making random types of stone this way.
So, what happens when two stones have [LAVA] at the same time?
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 10:04:49 am »

Checking on that right now.  The magma pipe walls default to obsidian.  I still have to see what happen when it's mixed with water.
Just so I remember

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 11:12:55 am »

Make ice surround the lava, something interesting should happen than.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 11:49:28 am »

Also, what happens if you mod out ice?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 11:50:10 am »

Also, what happens if you mod out ice?
Ice is hardcoded.  You can't get rid of it.
Just so I remember

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 12:30:47 pm »

Final Report:  If there is more that one material with the [LAVA] tag, it defaults to the first stone type with that tag.
It also appears that for adding the [LAVA] tag to have any effect, you need to gen a new world (which I had done for the testing).  So it's not an easy way of getting adamantine in a fort you've already started.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:46:28 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember