Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Fogcrystal. A Domestic Comedy with Werewolves  (Read 10400 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fogcrystal. A Domestic Comedy with Werewolves
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:00:07 am »

[I'm posting from work, because I have no classes on Tuesday afternoons, and all the goblins children are at class instead of reading over my shoulder or asking to using the computer to play K-pop videos. But this mean I don't have my notes so I may have to edit in the names later]

Prologue: A woman was the start, I suppose it usually is. She was sleek with the grey robes of a metalworker and had a silky beard to die for. We'd been partying for hours at the Basalt table and everything had gone the mistiness of drink long before. I should have wondered; but peasants must take their luck when they can.I never saw it when she put the--the whatever into the +brass goblet+ before sliding it across the table to me, but when I felt the  dark flooding up into my eyes I gave her one last look and I knew.

"I'm sorry, Dastot, or whatever your name is", she whispered. "It's you or my husband..."

I woke up to the chill of the outside, and a boot against my ribs.
"You'd better get up", said someone. "They said you're in charge".
I arose. In all directions, Trees. Dark, dense trees as far as the eye could see. Web-tangled and ancient. In the distance to the north the gleam of a brook. Nearer, ponds sit still. Waiting. With me are six other dwarves around a wagon, wearing the teal of peasanthood and haunted expressions. "Where are we?"
 The dwarf who'd awoken me gave me a pitying look; "The Dour Forest".
 I laughed. "The Dour Forest? Don't be silly. If we were in THAT hellhole we'd be dead already".
 On cue, the unmistakable howl of a werewolf came from the south. The Dwarf winced. "For Armok's sake don't say things like that. We're here. We need to do....something!".
 I inhaled. Then did it again, because it felt good and I wasn't sure how many other times I'd get to do it. "They didn't just leave us here to die? We have SOME supplies?"
 Another dwarf waved from the wagon. "Seven picks. Couple of axes. Anvil. Food. Booze. Seeds.", he shrugged. "I figure we have an excellent chance to survive long enough to get eaten."
 "What are those spiderwebs over everything?" I wanted to change the subject. "They look---wrong".
 "Phantom Spider Webs", intoned someone.
 The wind was pretty loud for a moment.
 "What are phantom spiders like?"
 "Don't know", shrugged a dwarf. "Shall we wait here and find out?"

Spring We started by digging a channel around us. I've been in enough fortresses that regretted not doing this as a first thing and then couldn't do it later. With a werewolf around I want a nice big ditch between him and myself. We manage to carve out a pretty sizable defended area around the wagon[OOC: about 1.5 screens in each direction]. Sometimes trees got in the way of the channel-line, we left them be. They'll block movement just as well as the ditch (and if you saw these trees, you wouldn't want to squeeze past them either). All the spiderwebs we keep outside the ditch, but we get some decent-sized ponds inside. Also numerous trees. I don't want anyone leaving the perimeter any more than necessary.

Well, actually, we nick a pond at the north-west corner and in floods part of the channel before getting stopped by tree-breaks. We don't want water in the channel in case there's a winter freeze.

Inevitably, one of us (a certain Nils) manages to find himself outside the channel on completion, which means we have to build a bridge from the remains of the wagon to let him back in. We dismantle it soon as he's over, and turn ourselves to digging down. Fortunately, our donkey, horse and two cats remain within the perimeter.

The first layer is Silty clay. Useful, but we'll have to go through it to get some stockpile space, too many ponds around. Plus our ditch getting in the way

Second level is Clay Loam. We dig an intersection radiating out from the stairs and start digging out big rooms. A farm can go to the south east, a wood storage to the south-west, a furniture stockpile to the north-west and a food storage to the other direction that you can probably figure out for your own damned selves. It's fast work, but it seems to take forever because we're digging UNDER the ponds, and every swing feels like an invitation to get flooded.

We go down another layer and hit mudstone. Not the prettiest of rocks, but it's rock and it's got a good chance of having iron. We repeat the 4-way intersection in the rock layer and start digging out workshop space. I want beds. Doors. Tables. Chairs. MECHANISMS. Mechanisms. For some reason we really want mechanisms. Oh, that's right. We're surrounded by a ditch now. That means a bridge. And because of where we are, that means a bridge we can RAISE.

One of us saw a carpenter at work once: it was he who dismantled the wagon and put up the bridgette for Nils. While the rest of us are mining, he's up top taking tentative axe-swipes at trees. [EDIT: Daskot's memory is foggy. Nils (now Neo) himself was out toying with axes. It was another dwarf who built the bridge. Neo got his carpenter job when he was left behind to dismantle it, and I threw woodcutting at him the same time). I tell him to collect enough wood for beds and then get to making a farm. A little mean to put three big jobs on one dwarf, but I want as many of us as possible mining.

Well, that and carrying things down to the new stockpiles. I keep the refuse zone on the surface. The Blood Gnats won't mind the smell. I'm really trying hard not to look at the things the cats are catching.

That werewolf is out there still.

We all collapse from exhaustion while the workshops are being put up. Farm's planted. Mechanics shop, Masonry, and Carpenter's shop are underway. I took on mechanic duties myself Need bedrooms.

Oh yeah, we hit Picture Jasper. Cute.

Another layer of stone shows us  more mudstone. I order the 4-way motif repeated [EDIT: Whoops, no I didn't]and have 4x1 bedrooms dug out of the eastern [currently only] branch. Beyond them, I designate a nice big area to be our dining hall.

The rest of the season it's just work. I put axe-person on making beds (and farming, and brewing as well. Something tells me I should be spreading the effort a bit and tell a few of the others to help with the farming in between bashing the mudstone. I announce everyone's jointly responsible for masonry duties (except me, I want as much time to make mechanisms as possible.)

We hit more picture jasper and Jet clearing out the dining hall. Oh, and Limonite. If only we weren't such klutzes at mining. I don't dare order the vein dug right now, we'd lose too much ore.

When our bridge is sited, it's going to be a race between the Werewolf realising we're here and me getting the mechanisms installed and the bridge raised. So, must keep making mechanisms.

[To be continued]

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:09:29 am by Marlowe »

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another terrifying survival story starring seven peasants.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:44:10 am »

If It's a Community Fortress I'll take Nils - Later sheriff maybe?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 02:01:07 am »

[uh, sure. He hasn't done anything stupid since then though.]

[For the record, it's a Terrifying Temperate Conifer Forest, no aquifer. Forgotten what the other stone layers are. Hopefully Schitz and Granite, but I know there's no flux. 6x6 area but dead flat. I don't seem to be able to take screenies on my laptop, but I can make some notes on the other dwarves when I get home and post them.]

[Not to spoil anyone's fun, but I have played up until late autumn and nobody's dead yet]

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 02:15:40 am »

Do you work a night shift or are you just in a very different time zone from me cuz it's 11:15 PM here?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:20:19 am »

[My students like K-pop. Think about it.]

[OK, This is me wrestling with Photobucket. I figured out that my print screen is keyed by the [fn] key(?} but these might need editing as they don't want to crop properly and Photobucket doesn't seem to accept my edits]

[Also, these are for late autumn[EDIT: NO! These are early summer! That's strange. Seems I've lost some time] I'll need to finish writing up until then]

The Unit list, seems I've been lazy. Also Neo it seems YOU are our axe-person/bedmaker. HA.

Seems you never did get to use the Still, which is funny since I'm sure it was you who assembled it.

This is me. Seems I got my own name wrong.

[up for grabs. I'll try and paste some images of the FORT when I stop wanting to kill photobucket]

[We are the PILLAR OF WANDERERS and the fort is called FOGCRYSTAL]

[Earth damn well struck already]

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:42:16 am by Marlowe »

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 05:06:55 am »

OK, something strange is happening.

For some reason, my current game and the summer autosave appear to have swapped folders. What you see above is the summer autosave(masquerading as the current game), so yeah, about where my story broke off. You'll notice we have a craftsdwarves workshop I didn't bother mentioning on account of it being insanely boring.

I hope this corrects itself, and that it doesn't mean the save is corrupted.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 07:44:04 am »

[It appears to be saving normally, but under the "sum-201" folder. The main save folder remains stuck in early summer. The other autosave folders are now getting names like sum-aut-201 and sum-aut-win-201. Weird.]

Summer

We have a some progress as summer rolls around, we have beds and bedrooms and a few mudstone table/chair sets. We're even making some stone crafts. They are lumpy, shapeless things but they're trade goods. Udib is on it. We're trying to encourage him in his work, so I won't mention them any more.

I've got Lolor smoothing the bedrooms. If you're going to live in a blank, narrow cubical you might as well have one that doesn't cut your boots to shreds.

The big drama is going to be with the bridge. Getting it rigged and lifted before the werewolf notices we're here. Some of the others tell me a werewolf can be hunted down by a few brave dwarves-I propose to do this when we've got a few brave dwarves with armour and weapons.

We had some discussion about which side to place the bridge, since it's important that caravans be able to reach us. The west and east sides appear shorter and clearer, but the werewolf spends most of it's time to the south, cavorting with the foxes, so the north it is.

[UNDECYPHERABLE]-death-merchant Ilral put up the bridge while I was SLEEPING! AND with the werewolf sniffing around close! I just had time to get topside and attend to the situation. Fortunately the Werewolf is not showing much interest. I got cheers when I turned and pulled the lever. Not bad work for dabbling mechanic.

The others express an interest in putting up a curtain-wall behind the ditch. We'll need more than a ditch against Goblins, but after they've had fun putting up enough mudstone walls to guard the flooded channel to the northwest (thinking of winter) I realise that we REALLY need mining practice.

We've hit Limonite in the dining room, and Butinimous coal while expanding the corridors nearby, but it's not going to do us much good if we destroy half the oar we find while digging it out. I set people to work lengthening the corridors and building more workshop spaces.

I tell Neo he's our jeweller as well now, and put him to work building a workshop. Might as well do something with the picture jasper, and the tube agate we're finding.

We need a trade depot. I have one set up (and built out of Jet, to match the bridge). I'm been really concerned that traders might have trouble getting through the trees, and am VERY relieved when after construction (and raising the bridge) it tests as accessible using the ancient dwarven art of [UNTRANSLATABLE]

Shortly after this, Kubuk (the dwarf who originally woke me up) came and made a suggestion.

"You know, when autumn comes, we'll have drop the bridge to wait for the caravan"

I nodded. There was always a caravan, and the possibility of migrants.

"That means we'll be sitting around exposed for the longest time, but if we build fortifications to either side of the bridge, leaving just enough space for the wagons; THEN lay cage traps in the middle, we can not only deal with Ol' Toby (this is what they are calling the werewolf) but capture him."

I nodded, because this seemed like a good idea.

"But it's mid-summer already, so we have to start doing this, NOW!".

So I got Neo to knock up some wooden cages (I hate using wood, because it will be dangerous to get more, but it's really the only thing available) and set the others to work getting fortifications to flank the entrance. I turn my hand to setting up the traps.

There's nothing to be said but that this gets done. So my part in the job was finished last. I have the burder of responsibility. And I had to wait for Neo.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 09:36:16 am »

Getting ahead of myself, but these are from spring of the second year, right after the Horrible Thing That Happened To Neo.

I won't print the surface level. Much too big. 6x6, flat, covered with trees, brook to the north, ditch-and-wall fort in the middle. Got it? Good. Well that's us.

The storage level. The level above this is just basically a stairway down. The staircases at either end lead up so we can put some storehouses up their eventually.

The workshop level. Hopefully those F**kers I've got for metalworkers have put the forge up.

The residential level immediately below. Currently we are working at getting bedrooms built for our migrants. The tunnel branching off west of the north corridor is going to be our well site eventually. We need a chain, and the Floodgates in place.

Yes, we have a possession. That's Ubid. He's working on something with some chunks of mudstone and some picture jasper, so HE'S all right.

There's some digging under here but it's basically just a shaft toward the brook to establish a cistern.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:48:11 am by Marlowe »

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:45:14 am »

You know, i really ought to design my forts more like this one. i currently just set stuff down wherever.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 12:47:28 pm »

I'll take Ilral Zokensazir, He's a miner, so he's bound to have a good chance at survival, spending most of his time in the ground and all, but if he gets around to doing other things, professional mason, crafter, smith of some sort, it'd be cool to have him be a broker! he does have the most appropriate god for it "Rakas Sellprice".

just for the love of god, don't let him near any frickin giant cave swallows.

EDIT: also, name him "KLAR!" with the exclamation mark. it just popped into my head and sounds too good to pass up.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:27:02 pm by chaoticjosh »

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 07:05:18 pm »

I'M DEAD!!!??? Already?

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 07:31:58 pm »

Not yet, I'm sure you have a lifetime of excruciatingly painful invalidom still to run. Check yr PMs.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 05:43:13 am »

AUTUMN

Ilral, a formerly blameless if averagely death-seeking dwarf, has now decided to be named KLAR! I think he's gone a bit strange, but it doesn't bother me as long as I get to play with my mechanisms.

I have a bauxite one now. WHeeeeeeEEEeeee!

When the first leaves began to fall we use the traditional dwarvan art of [UNSPEAKABLE] to ascertain the whereabouts of Ol' Toby. He appears to have left the area, and only foxes come gamboling across the land like little mechanisms at play. Little red mechanisms, of Kaolinite or cinnabar or bauxite.

Or bauxite. WHEeEEeeeeEEeee!

We drop the bridge, and I get a very disagreeable surprise when I realise the depot is no longer registering as accessable! What the Hell?

OK. Think Daskot, think. Maybe some mechanisms would-

Ouch. Thanks Kubuk, I needed that.

OK. It can't be the fortifications or the traps. It's a tree. This forest is full of trees, standing around like they belong here. Some sapling as turned into a tree and it's blocked the way in.

But which one?

I rustle up Rovod and Neo, thrust axes into their hands, and send them stumbling out to do battle with the terrifying forest. Meanwhile, I gather up a bunch of my lovelies, and stagger out myself. We've been within this perimeter for almost six months though, this is our first time outside. I think: what would look nice out here? A semi-circle of stone-fall traps in front of the entrance.

Although, considering we're outside, one is inclined to wonder from whence the rock is supposed to fall. I work out a modified pit-trap design that meets standard specifications. basically it's a pit-trap, only instead of falling in and landing on spikes you fall in and then have a rock land on you.

Rovod and Neo go at those trees with commendable commendability, but they don't manage to solve the problem. The wagons by-pass our site, and a meager three merchants arrive on camels. I drag myself away from my traps in time to do some trading.

Ghastly people. It's not only do our trade goods (Ubid's crafts, my mechanisms) not amount to much apparent value, but these idiots didn't even bring anything we might want. We finally got a piece of rope so we can have a watch-animal, an empty barrel because barrels are good, and some plump helmet. We already have plenty, but more is more.

While I'm trading, I'm told that the trade depot is now accessible again. Sigh. I meet with some--dwarf who calls himself the liason. I WANT to ask why my companions and myself were drugged and sent here, but all this idiot wants to do is talk trade. I ask him for wood (a log bought is a log nobody got brutally and gruesomely devoured by a werewolf for, that's my motto), leather, booze, meat, lye (it's a thought), and any metal bars and ore stones they have. He gives me a list of HIS requests which I used later while in a small room.

While we make fools of ourselves out here, the "real miners" (Kubuk and whoever is standing next to Kubuk) strike more Butinimous Coal while extending a corridor for future workshops. That's nice, but as with the limonite I don't dare touch it yet.

The caravan leaves, to my dissappointment not meeting Ol' Toby on the way out.

As I watch them go, a raccoon jumps across a stone-fall trap I haven't had time to load yet and gets nabbed by a cage. Now we have to build another cage. Typical.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:41:20 am by Marlowe »

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 08:15:13 am »

[Somebody else better post in this thread or I cry. And I'll make you feel bad.]

Winter

With the city boys gone I raise the bridge. We've got a good stash of wood from the ground before the gate, and pretty much cleared all the trees for a good distance. I've completed the stone-fall line, now I want to work on more mining and building our defensive wall.

However, not two seconds after the bridge is raised than a fox dies on one of the traps! Botheration. We can't afford to waste leather or bones, so I raise the bridge to see it reclaimed. We put up a butcher's shop and tanner's shop in record time-owing to lack of cleared workshop space I actually have to site the tanner's shop in one of our new corridors. It gets torn down after the job and rebuilt in a more seemly location.

Afterwards, I notice dwarves out in the forest. Apparently, when I gave orders for the fox corpse to be reclaimed, I gave everyone a carte blanche to pick up every damn roach corpse in the area. However, since Ol' Toby's a comfortable distance to the south, I decide to go with it and send Rovod and Neo out for more wood.

Our anvil's looking lonely. I order a wood furnace and smelter put up. Metalworker's forge too, but none of us have metalworking. I could order someone to do it, but we've all got enough odd jobs already. I decide to wait until we get somebody new.

While the bridge is down I'm disturbed by the sight of dwarves running off to the distant brook for a drink. We DO have a booze problem. There's so few of us with so much to do (building the wall mainly), that it's rare when one of us makes some more. We need more spare hands. I, for one, would like to get a fishing industry going. We have no shells. Again, we have to wait for more help. Hopefully we'll get some in the spring.

Our cats have had kittens. One of these I've tied up at the gate as a lookout. The other I find, out in the forest, proudly standing on top of the grossest, smelliest, more disgustingly pretrescent pile of incarnate filth I've ever seen. They looked like dead rats  in the same way that a zombie resembles a human. I'm informed that these were demon rats, and that wiping out a hive of them was not a bad thing. Even for them.

I've already designated one of the ponds within the perimeter a drinking zone, now I order it to be used EXCLUSIVELY. I wonder if anyone will listen.

Holy Booze! Another suicidal fox! Oh well, more leather. Another trap to be repaired. Dum dum DUM.

Building the wall seems to be taking a whole lot of labour. Too many things are going neglected, but I'm too much of a dwarf to call a halt. We have the wall around 3/4 of the perimeter ditch now, and fortifications over the gate. I've ordered the latter to be built from Bauxite. Useless stuff.

Oh yeah, we found some rubies in the bauxite. Wish we hadn't destroyed about 40% of them digging them out.

A tunnel is being built torwards the brook, and a cistern being built to receive the goods, but that's a job to be done very, very carefully.

Got to go. A raccoon just survived an encounter with a stone-fall, and now is stuck in a cage. Not ANOTHER cage we have to make---Neo!

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 08:55:41 am »

How far ahead is the terrible thing? ???
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9