Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Fogcrystal. A Domestic Comedy with Werewolves  (Read 10397 times)

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another terrifying survival story starring seven peasants.
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 08:58:13 pm »

YAY! Revenge of the Replacement!
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 11:39:28 pm »

[Phew, the goblins are gone. In real life, I mean.

Koji, Ilral is taken, but if you like engravings I can give you Lolol if you like. She's the founder I originally put on smoothing the bedrooms and she's been doing stone detailing on-off ever since. Her details are on the first page.

If you don't want her I can have a look at our migrant engravers, we had two turn up in spring]

Early winter 202

Rickvoid staggered out of his workshop proudly clutching a turtle shell animal trap. That's....interesting. I had a quick check-or rather, I made someone with a smaller nose take a quick check- to ensure he didn't lop off any of his own extremities for extra materials. He seems sane. As sane as he was. His skill appears to have increased enormously as a result of the experience, so much so that I got him to make new leggings and gauntlets for the troops.

All four champions (yes, they've ALL made champion) got better stuff as a result. Although it was a shame none of them picked up the masterpiece werewolf bone gauntlet.

I'll write that down again. MASTERPIECE WEREWOLF BONE GAUNTLET. It feels so good to write. The other one in the pair is merely exceptional.

As a "reward" I've moved Rickvoid's bedroom down to the tomb level. He's now sleeping across from Neo, in a manner of speaking. I figure when he passes on we just swap the bed out for a coffin and call it sewer-brew time.

Oh yeah, Neo's dead.

Which brings me to something that annoyed me slightly. Apparently Neosen did NOT get the credit for killing Anita Pallenberg. He may have been the one that knocked the bitch (hey, it's the correct word) thirty feet. He may have been the one that that closed her eyes forever. But apparently Rovod  delivered the blow that actually killed her. I like Rovod, as much as I like any of these dwarves I'm apparently stuck with for the rest of my life, but it didn't seem fair.

Speaking of Rovod, he officially changed his profession to woodcutter recently, having not touched a pick since last autumn. I really should keep better track on who is wielding the third axe. It WAS Mebsuth the Miller (now Mebsuth the Legendary Champion). Now it isn't. I'll have to check to see who.

Anyway, I said it annoyed me Slightly. It would have annoyed me more except for this:

Our new werewolf, "Poor Dumb Gerald", wasted no time in harassing our woodcutters. Unfortunately he met Neosen.

Neosen checked himself into his room with a broken arm. He'll live. And this time he got the kill.

In boring news, the fortified wall is complete and we're expanding the walkway now. I think our next project will be a central tower around our stairway. But we need to start serious exploratory mining. Thus far, all our mining has been to get living and working space. We've actually been pretty lucky to get the ores we have.

Our raccoons have pupped. We now have five little raccoons frolicking around the meeting hall. I'm very pleased about this. In another couple of seasons we should have enough animals to provide our own leather, plus I'm sure Rickvoid will want something more interesting than fishbone to work with.

Our fisherdwarves have managed to fish out the ponds within the perimeter. I'm told they will need time for the turtles to come back. In the meantime I've given them permission to wander further afield. This is dangerous, but to a very real extent we've all sort of lost our respect for the werewolves, and there's nothing else out there that's actually hostile.

We have some iron crossbows, and I'm stocking up on ammunition. There's been some kobold and goblin thief sightings.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 12:31:51 am »

How am I epic so fast?!
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 01:36:31 am »

[There's some discussion in the wiki about werewolves. Evidentially they do vary quite in power. And a steel battle axe will hurt most things if it hits them. I'm reminded of the time in Trancefortresses when a woodcutter (also a fairly recent immigrant) smashed a Skelk to skash in a blink.

On topic, however, you DO seem to have picked up "Strong" and "Tough" very fast. I'm wondering if you arrived with them. I'm used to 38c where all migrants were pretty much at the same experience level. This doesn't seem to be the case in 40d. Our Bowyer has "Bowyer" as a skill and that's it. On the other hand one of the Planters has minor levels in a whole lot of useless skills I know I didn't turn on.]

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 04:07:06 am »

If there's any glassworthy sand around, I'd like a random peasant who can start glassworking.
If there's no sand...a mechanic, please.

Either sex, name of Fikod.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 05:22:58 am »

No sand. No mechanics.

I've just got a pump operator, will that do?

Nothing around that needs to be pumped.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 07:19:46 am »

I finally got around to reading this, and I must say, it is both interesting, entertaining and generally awesome. :) The size and planning of the fortress is pretty impressive too.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 07:29:06 am »

I've made the Pump operator Daskot's apprentice, and made him your character. Koji, I gave you Lolol.

A shot of Fogcrystal's interior perimeter, from a point on the south wall walkway looking towards the gate. Fogcrystal is a bit big to get in one shot. Besides, it's basically a wall. On flat land. Although, I do get weird Wolfenstein 3D vibes looking at it in 3Dwarf.

ENDWINTER 202

Vitually nothing interesting happens for the remainder of winter.

Except that I'm now a legendary miner. HA! IN YOU FACE KUBUK! You may have beaten me, but I got there ahead of your chums. AND I got all the the floodgates and the bridge working, what did you do?

I must write quieter, I don't want her to hear me.

The last carving out of bedrooms for our migrants left a space that was basically useless for anything else, so I'm having it carved out into an office for myself. At some point, I'm going to be mayor. I might lose that, but I'm going to be stockkeeper and broker for life, however long that is. Better start getting the papers in order so I know what we have and want we need.

I'm putting our spare blacksmith on encrusting furniture. It's a little hit and miss but we've got some bauxite and slate thrones decorated. Now I need to get him to do some tables.

I do NOT want our gems traded away. I want them here. They're ours. The best place for them is in the dining hall. It would be nice if he'd do bauxite and slate tables as well, but that's really difficult to arrange. Mudstone is pretty much the stone of convenience around hear.

I look through the ancient dwarven art of [CENSORED]. Seems mudstone is technically just a form of Slate. So why do we get iron and coal in the one and not in the other? Armok's mysteries still amaze us. Sometimes, I think we should get a better god.

Since I never designated a finished goods stockpile, it seems that our phantom spider silk garments are up for grabs. I'm wearing a robe now. It feels cool against my pigtails.

We've carved out more tomb spaces, and have dug a bit further into the mudstone on the level below residential. Nothing interesting so far, but by Armok there is so much to dig.

I like the tombs level though. I'm planting coffins. I'm ordering smoothing. I've had a coffin put in Rickvoid's room for the sake of convenience. Next to the bed. Now we only have to turn him over when he's done.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:22:46 am by Marlowe »

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008, 02:17:14 pm »

Aww. Shows how good my reading comprehension is.

I'll just take a random dwarf then. Anyone who's not in use. Just assign one to me and let me know what their personality block and job are.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 05:01:14 pm »

From the Elf-Flesh bound Journal of Rickvoid, Lord of the Bones;

My temporary... "enlightenment", appears to have ended, and my mind is once again my own. In the space the Other occupied, I now find a plethora of knowledge dedicated to the art of bonecrafting. In display of my newfound ability, I have taken what remained of Ol' Toby and made some fine bits of armor for the more military minded of us. Dakost seems to be pleased the rest of the bones have finally come to some use. I think I saw him holding one of the gauntlets, weeping silently in a corner. The stress must be getting to him.

My creation troubles me. It's not just that I somehow made a trap without the use of any mechanisms, it the fact that the Other saw fit to have me make a trap. A warning of some sort? Perhaps I'll have it placed outside of my door... assuming I ever set it down. I've grown rather... attached to it.

Speaking of my room, Dakost has seen fit to reward me with my own quarters, down in the crypts. They set a casket next to the bed. I think they intend for it to be my tomb as well. More fools they. We'll see who's laughing when the rituals are completed, and I emerge from my No, I have written to much already. They must not know.

I'll continue this later. I just heard that the spider silk clothes have been completed. I think I'll grab a thong. I just love how the material feels against my [OHDEARARMOKNO!!].

OOC:  ;D Yes, I know that's not what thongs are referring to in-game. Funny as hell though.

Anyway, my little buddy is shaping up nicely. I almost wish Dwarf Companion would let me become the very first Dwarven Lich. But once dwarves are put to rest, they're kind of stuck there. I wonder what they seal these coffins with anyway?  :)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 01:55:34 am »

Spring 203

I saw Rickvoid muttering to himself, his hands up to the wrists in what I swear to Armok looked like a lump of REALLY rotten meat. The blood gnats follow him like a halo. I think I did the right thing moving him downstairs.

I didn't look closely at what he was doing. Looked like he thought he was writing or something. Whatever. Just so long has he keeps doing good work and doesn't try to stand next to me.

[OOC: I think you meant Elf-SKIN. But if it's Elf-FLESH, I'm going with it...]

Lolol has announced that she will henceforth be known as Koji. Never really paid that much attention to her. Good miner. Acceptable smoother. Our two migrants engravers are apparently in the habit of laughing at her detailing skills, but she never asked for the job.

At some point, we've got to get the dining hall engraved. Don't trust any of them to do it right though. I order a whole lot of bedrooms and workshops smoothed. One of the engravers is trying to tell me that workshops don't have to be smoothed. I'm stroking a Kimberlite mechanism (so cool, so deep blue. Not like that crappy microcline stuff.) and not listening. It's not smooth walls on the butcher's shop I want, it's better engravers.

I paid a visit to Neo's old bedroom, wondering if we should give it to Neosen when that fellow heals up. I discover Neo's old clothing (minus his left shoe and sock. Funny that.) strewn all over the floor. I'd forgotten about the superstition about not touching the belongings of the dead. I order it hauled away.

I also find his axe. He's had it with him the whole time. This sort of raises the question of what the various saps I ordered to take on the woodcutting duties after Neo were actually doing.

I think of having a serious talk with Mebsuth about this. Then I remember that Mebsuth, miller, is now Mebsuth the legendary Champion and I think again. Whatever. I find the fish cleaner who was supposed to take over woodcutting and tell him to do it, at least until a more promising sucker turns up.

Speaking of fish cleaning, there's a bit of a problem. We have almost no bones and shells left, and no meat or fish on the accounts. This is a bit of a worry. The food situation is not important because of the amount of plump helmet we have, but we need bones and shells. For moods, and to keep Rickvoid busy. I don't like to think of the possibility of Rickvoid idle.

Initially I'm thinking that we're just not catching any fish, then I'm told otherwise. We got a pretty fair catch of rainbow trout and chad in the winter, and the turtles are back within the perimeter, so where are the bones going?

Then I discover that the saps I've got on cookery duties have been grinding them up to make biscuits. I put a stop to that. The lads will grumble about the lack of prepared meals. Feh. Let them eat tallow.

We really need more animals.

Oh no. I didn't wash and now I have elves! We trade a couple of mechanisms and lots of Ubid's crafts (he's actually getting not too terrifically terrible. Also having more than mudstone to work with helps a little) for some booze of some description, a bin of cloth, and a couple of wooden weapons for sparring. We didn't need the cloth, but let's show willing.

While the Elves are here I put the champions on guard. They turn up holding their crossbows from the wrong end and half of them have empty quivers, but they do turn up. Any goblins will die. And, considering the marksmenship of our gallant defenders, probably very slowly.

Speaking of crossbows, I've put up a workshop for our Bowyer but I can't bear to order anything from him. A crossbow, to me, is a hammer that shoots people. It should be made of iron or better. I don't want wooden hammers. Even if they do shoot people.

One of our children is all grown up, and become a peasant. I explain to him his duties to the community and draft him forthwith.

This is Fogcrystal. Nobody stays a peasant for long here.

After trading with the cannibals I get back to cooking keeping the books. It's a little sad. We are a poor fortress. We just haven't had the right combination of migrants to make real money. We have metalsmiths, blacksmiths when we need armourers. We have amateurs making clothes.

Someone is tugging on my sleeve. It's a leatherworker. He's complaining that the tanner is doing all the leatherworking and that he isn't being given a chance to practice his skill. He's right, of course. It's a pity he wasn't around when we had leather and needed it made into things.
I tell him he'll be doing all future leatherworking.

Someone alerted me to the presence of our new Werewolf, "Angry Arthur", near the southern wall. He isn't making trouble but his presence is disrupting silk-gathering. I send out the boys.

Goden, our ex-trapper, turns up first. It really impressed me how the almost untrained (with a crossbow) Champion waited until Angry Arthur was right on top of him before shooting him point-blank in the nadgers. It would have impressed me more if he'd then hammered the thing to death instead of firing more valuable iron bolts into it with painful slowness. Eventually, our ex-milker turns up and hits the werewolf with the blunt end. That's it.

Some migrants turn up. A gemcutter, another blacksmith, a weaponsmith (useful), several peasants, two woodcrafters (bleah), a pump operator (wait...that's a PROFESSION? I thought it was a predicament), a dyer (we can use that one eventually), a milker (drafted), a trapper.

Owing to the bone shortage I get the woodcrafters on making training bolts. We are not short of wood. I order an iron axe forged and give it to one of the peasants, because clearing the forest from around our walls is taking a while.  Most of the others I put to fishing or general masony/furnace operating/farming tasks. I'd like to draft more, but it's limited by our armour production. I've had to establish a second smelter.

I tell the pump operator that since his shirt's the right colour, he'll be working with me as a mechanic.

Hey, I'm now the mayor. I go mad with power and order all turtle shell exports prohibited. I find myself dissatisfied with my own housing arrangements, and order a new suite of rooms dug out for me. We strike coal while we're at it.

The migrants actually bought some animals this time. There's a she-donkey calf, meaning our donkey can have a child bride, a mule that I can't kill because it's a pet, and a cow and bull calf. Eventually, we can have inbred redneck cows.

Our horse remains a bachelor.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:59:55 am by Marlowe »

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 02:00:42 am »

If any of the newbies like silver, make them mine under "Argentum".  If not, draft a peasant and give him a spear (if that doesn't mess with your evil plans) and name him "Thuellai"
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 08:40:21 am »

Short note on the end of Spring

The two migrant woodcrafters both realised they had the same first name: Bembul. To "avoid confusion and reflect my own individuality", one of them announced he'd be known as "Argentum".

Argentum, because he likes native silver.

Takes all kinds I suppose.

The other one, who I'm tempted to rename "Argentee", I've got helping Ubid on stonecraft duties. We've seriously commenced exploratory mining in the first two mudstone layers. Nothing really good yet. A second magnetite pocket and a native platinum vein. I still want copper.

The trees are definately creeping back north of the gate, the area we cleared in the first autumn. We are still working on hacking the forest back from the south wall. Maybe we need a fifth axe. Problem is that Rovod and the others have a lot on their plate even without woodcutting, and Neosen's still abed.

Another werewolf appeared beyond the brook. They named him "Scrofula Jim". Oh you guys, you crack me up.

I attended to the matter personally.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 01:08:35 pm »

Summer 203

The big news this season is that I lost the mayoralty. To Kubuk. I suppose I should have seen that coming. I'm trying to be a good sport about it, but it annoys me that I never got to sleep in the mayor's quarters before they were fully finished. Kubuk, by the way, is now sleeping with Rovod.

At least I'm still broker and stockkeeper. I still run this place, and nobody's going to forget it.

I give Koji and our migrant engravers a field test-engraving the Founder's bedrooms. They don't do too badly. A couple of masterpieces, a lot of superior ones. There's many images of the symbol of our parent civilisation (the "Coastal Ropes"). Its a table. Sometimes I'm glad we left. We also get quite a few of our own symbol (thin crosses, I suppose it's a step up), a lot of my ascension to mayor, a couple of Neo's death, and one of me trading with the Elves this spring. Plus a number of our founding and the creation of our artifacts. It would have been nice to get a few crossed dead werewolf motifs on a field of werewolf bone gauntlets, but you can't have everything all at once.

In really bigger news, we got traders from the Humans! The "Kingdoms of Flesh" didn't contact us last year, and I'd almost written them off as too scared to come. I'm VERY interested by the circuitous route their wagons take to arrive. Starting from the north-west they moved down the stream  almost to the eastern border of the local area, then struck west to reach us. The lesson is clear. The forest is just getting thicker and we're going to have to attack it heavily if we're not going to find ourselves cut off from trade. I've already ordered an extra axe, and told some sap to use it. Now I sanction another and order woodcutting to concentrate on cutting a clear path to the brook.

With the champions manning the gate (the newer recruits keep to their training) we trade a lot of Ubid's crafts (he made a masterwork ring the other day), some totems, some of Rickvoid's pre-legendary bone items and some silk socks for metal bars, booze, leather bins, some funky ores, barrels, a mare, a dog, and meat. While this is happening another werewolf appears to the south, and panicks a couple of planters out gathering the silk. A couple of champions deal to the problem.

We didn't even bother giving this one a name. We are so getting slack.

While we're carrying the stuff back to the stockpiles I get word that Kubuk, bless her little black heart, has mandated the making of black bronze items! I was afraid of this. Black bronze is gold and copper [EDIT: and silver], two [three] ores we've been conspicuously unable to find, but a panicked look at the stocks shows we got ONE black bronze bar off the human traders. I order it made into goblets. Somebody told me once you get more than one of those from one bar.

While we're fussing over THAT, Datan, the blacksmith I put on armourer duties, gets possessed by unknown forces and kicks everyone out of the forge. That's really awkward, especially since we've build the forge for ease of access and have no way to lock him in if he goes ballistic. However, he grabs some iron bars and some (imported(!)) copper and produces an iron table. Banded with copper. With an image of Ubid's weapons rack on it in iron. Not so bad. I have it put at the head of the dining hall, with a jet throne that menaces with spikes of ruby.

I'm going to have to talk to the jewellers about that last thing.

Our fortress wealth almost doubles this season, exceeding our imported wealth for the first time. The factors behind this appear to be the forging of Platinum and the previously mentioned black bronze goblets, the aforesaid iron table, and the more regular armour production thanks to having two smelters going. Rickvoid, when he's not giggling to himself and talking to the air, is doing a pretty good job in turning our bones and shells into gauntlets and leggings. I feel we could definately equip a larger military, but we have no one we can spare.

However, it's becoming quite clear that fishing catches and silk gathering is getting a bit beyond our ability to process it. I've ordered a second fishery built, and more farmer's workshops and looms. There'll be waste next season I suspect.

The goblets manage to satisfy Kubuk, and she issues another mandate. Vests. Oh dear. Give me something hard.

No, don't.

Some mining probes in the first slate layer (we have enough coal and iron, so I'm giving up on the mudstone for the moment) find another sphalerite vein, but no copper. Got to keep trying.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:22:38 pm by Marlowe »

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 01:11:49 pm »

Elf-Flesh... Elf-Skin...

Crap.  :-[

Since you decided to go with it, guess I will too...  :-X
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9