Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Online games similar to DF  (Read 5134 times)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Online games similar to DF
« on: April 19, 2008, 06:25:00 am »

These games are dynamic, allow players to alter the environment, have extensive crafting systems, heavy on the social mechanics, etc.

You're probably already familiar with Wurm, but:

Wurm Online
Homepage: http://www.wurmonline.com/
Notes: Java-based, horrible.

It seems as though there are also quite a few promising ones in the works...

LOVE
Homepage: http://www.quelsolaar.com/
Press: Rock-Paper-Shotgun, Massively.com , Games for Windows Apr'08, Computer and Videogames
Notes: Artsy, procedurally-generated, small-town feel, some unique ideas.

Mortal Online
Homepage: http://www.mortalonline.com/
Est. Release: Summer 2009
Notes: Skillbased, sandbox, open PvP, uses Unreal Engine 3.

Darkfall
Homepage: http://www.darkfallonline.com/
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkfall
Trailers: Sites and Cities '08, Gameplay '07
Notes: FPS-like combat, skillbased, PvP, vaporware?

wallish was kind enough to link us this upcoming game:

Atriarch
Homepage: http://www.atriarch.com/
Notes: Sci-fi, dynamic alien world.

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Online games similar to DF
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

I don't see wurmonline as being horrible. It just needs a bit of work. It's surprisingly playable as it is, without any animations or anything (Gasp! Just like Dwarf Fortress!)

And those LOVE screenshots are really trippy.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

I cannot find the download for LOVE?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

Whoa. LOVE looks... dreamy.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I cannot find the download for LOVE?</STRONG>

Its not out yet, sadly.  

I looked at the Darkfall page and it doesn't really look that different from the dozens of other MMO's out there.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Oh. That explains it!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

I'm going to be following LOVE very closely, despite the fact that my computer doesn't meet the requirements.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>I don't see wurmonline as being horrible. It just needs a bit of work.</STRONG>
From what I have heard it won't receive that 'bit of work' because developments continue to slow. And it is horrible - are you really being honest with yourself? Simply being playable does not make a game good.

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I cannot find the download for LOVE?</STRONG>
Did mention it being 'in the works'.   ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Karlito:
<STRONG>I looked at the Darkfall page and it doesn't really look that different from the dozens of other MMO's out there.</STRONG>
All of the games listed above are dynamic, allow players to alter the environment, have extensive crafting systems, heavy on the social mechanics, etc.

The game I find most interesting is LOVE, although Mortal Online also looks nice. Darkfall not so much, but I threw it in anyways since it fit the bill.

[ April 19, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

PloKoon

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

thanks, I was looking for a good list like this.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »

I'm definitely following Mortal Online.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »

Yeah, MO has an interesting take:

quote:
Originally posted by Mortal Online:
"Is your goal to face a legendary monster? Well, that is usually suicide – if you can find one. But if your guild would actually manage to kill one, it’s dead. Gone. Rarermonster and quests do not resurrect or come again, whether it’s an ancient beast, a crumbling temple, an island rising out of the sea or a great ritual that fails or succeeds. You might get away with an item never seen before, or the unique scar that tells about the experience. There are not many of these opportunities but they are usually important enough to affect the whole world and its history. All you have to do is be at the right place at the right time."

"We want you and your character to be one. Your skills as a player combined with the skills of your character will determine the outcome of any PvP or PvE fight. In the first person perspective of Mortal Online you virtually perform every action your character does – there is no such thing as automatic combat or your character doing the job for you. Aim and strike anywhere you want, and experience your characters combat skill increase as well as your own."

"In Mortal Online we want you to be free. We create a world for you with a minimum of rules but with endless possibilities, meaning you decide the path and goals of your progress, and where your actions are reflected back upon the world. As you decide the fate of your characters during their lifetime, responsibilities and consequences arise with many different options to choose from:

Do you want to walk the dangerous path of thieves and assassins? Or would you choose the path of the honorable, using law and strength to prevent the murderers from ruling the world?

Choose to be a lone wolf or hermit by finding a secluded place to build your house for storage or studies. Or form a guild with others that desire a keep and eventually a fortress.

Steal from or slay whoever you want and loot their items, but prepare for the aftermath and watch out for the long arm of the law.

Devote your life to a crafting profession and become famous for your reliable quality goods. Discover new formulas and recipes and explore the lands to find unique tools and resources.

Choose to believe in one of the Gods and watch its power grow. Fight heretics and burn their temples to rob their Gods of power. Or start a new cult: with enough believers your God might be powerful enough to enter the Pantheon.

Explore the world to discover new places and name them. Venture into ancient caves and temples to find the buried history of the world, including its forgotten knowledge, spells and items. New resources are to be found everywhere in flora, fauna and minerals."

"With Mortal Online we aim to take the MMORPG experience to a different level by creating a fantasy world that is believable and cruel, and that vision requires both realistic graphics and sophisticated gameplay.

To meet these highly set standards we use a state of the art engine as well as a comprehensive toolbox. Unreal Engine 3 is our weapon of choice, and together with Grome and Speedtree we are able to make our vision a reality: a world of detailed characters, realistic terrain, lifelike creatures and intricate detail all coming together to immerse you visually."

I considered adding Second Life to the list for its crafting, but that's more a chatroom than a game. Plus, it was difficult to find anything unrelated to stores,  gambling or bizarre adult content.       :(

[ April 21, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

I've been waiting for the bottom 3 for a while... Wurm disappointed me after some time.  :(

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

I don't know when oe even if they're going to finish Darkfall.  It's been in the works with no updates to that site for years now...

This Mortal Online looks interesting though...  I'll need to take a closer peek at it.  However, it looks like something a person would have to pay for, and I don't swing that way.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

New preview for LOVE is out:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187451

this one is a bit goofy.

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>This Mortal Online looks interesting though...  I'll need to take a closer peek at it.  However, it looks like something a person would have to pay for, and I don't swing that way.</STRONG>
All of the games listed above will be paid-to-play. I'm not particularly opposed to paying for something worthwhile.    :)

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »

I swear, the second I can play Love, I will be.

It just is that awesome.

Kayla

Pages: [1] 2