Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Online games similar to DF  (Read 5138 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Online games similar to DF
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

quote:
That latest interview: Then he fires a gun at the side of a wall and it's blown away - digging a cave into the side of a cliff. He then trots through this tunnel, dropping into pastures on the far side.

Freakish randomly mutated monsters and... digging? I'm sold. "Welcome to @#*!ing Boatmurdered!"

Though I'm slightly worried. Game developers that are also artists with an extraordinary vision either put out something incredibly fantastic or something that meets what they wanted to see but not what the community was expecting, or hoping for. Though I doubt this developer is going to do the latter.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

The graphics look a bit funky as of right now, if the screenshots are any indication...   I think it's possible for them to have artistic creativity while sitll retaining simple things like depth perception, isn't it?  Let's hope they fix that up.

Mortal Online looks wicked sick, but I've so far only seen the promo vid, which obviously can't be taken as an indicator for anything in the actual game.  I'll need to do a little more reading up on it when I get some time.

Paying for a game is one thing, but paying to play the game is entirely different.  I have no problem with paying fifty or sixty bucks for a copy of one of these things, but regular payments just to continue playing it?  Hell no.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 12:22:00 am »

Kagus,

The Massively.com link that Red Jackard posted has a video, while low resolution, should give you a better glimpse into what Love looks like in motion. I think it's one of those things that look better in motion versus a simple snapshot. Especially concerning that, from what I've gathered of it, the entire world will change dramatically as the players play through it.

I believe I read on the developers blog that he was developing a tectonics system, if that gives any indication of the possible change.

Kayla

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 08:45:00 am »

I cant find any link to a video anywhere in that article.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 08:47:00 am »

It's a handheld recording of a laptop with light shining on it.  You can't see much aside from the guy sitting there anyways.

And are you looking at the massively.com link in the first post, or the praising interview link in the latest post?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 09:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>I cant find any link to a video anywhere in that article.</STRONG>

Are you using NoScript? Will need to enable blip.tv, the video is in the center of the article, ya know.

The art style seems similar to Another World. (Although much nicer and smoother, ya know.)

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »

The first post. If you look at the video, you can see a good deal of what it looks like. At least I can.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

There's a game that I've been following for a long time, waiting for it to be released: Atriarch.  From their features page:

quote:

Truly Massive - Join hundreds of thousands of other beings in exploring and cohabitating the spherical planet of Atriana which covers over 1 million square kilometers.

Player Housing and Customized Player Construction - Build your own home in exquisite detail, or a whole town, or perhaps become famous for pioneering your own architectural style.  You can sell your designs to other players who would rather focus their efforts elsewhere.

RPG and Strategy and Empire Building all integrated into one cohesive game world.  Build an empire.  Run the local market.  Adventure through the untamed wilderness.  It's the best of all worlds.

Choose a Simple Path or a Complex Path - Live a simple life and enjoy the basic and fun gameplay Atriarch has to offer; or dive deep into the politics and story while trying to expand your characters influence.  Either way, Atriarch will provide a rewarding and worthwhile experience.

Persistent Characters - Whether you have 1 hour a week or 20 hours a week to play Atriarch, your character will always have the opportunity to make progress, even when you are offline.  You no longer need to worry about your friends passing you up just because you don't have as much time to play as someone else.  Practice skills, gather resources, travel, or decide to play it safe.  The choice is yours.

Dynamic Quests - Quests will be meaningful events, extension of political, economic, environmental, or personal factors. As Atriana changes, so does its needs and its means to achieve those needs. Quests will take many forms, from legendary to obscure, and from massive to unique. Adventure is never far from those who seek it... and in some cases it may follow you home.

Advance Your Character without Killing -  If you prefer a more peaceful lifestyle, then your character can advance and build up cities without the need to kill.  Atriarch will have robust trade skills for the craftsman... craftsalien.

Players Affect the Environment and Story  - You can't change the past, but player actions can change the future of Atriana's environment, story, and politics.  The future of an alien world is in your hands.

Support for Factions & Guilds - Band with your allies to create minor and major factions.  Work as a team or as an individual.

Riding Creatures and Air Transports - Your character can travel by riding on any of a host of unique creatures, including ones that soar through the air, slither on the ground, or gallop across the plains.

Fun & Exciting Combat - There are several fighting styles your character can learn, each with its own unique set of fighting moves.  You can set your character to auto fight or control each individual maneuver.

Atriana is a Round World and No Zones - if you had enough time, you could walk completely around the world while gazing into a real horizon and never pass through a zone once.  You never have to zone even to go underground, into the air, or into a building.  When we say seamless, we mean it!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

Wow. That game Atriarch or however it's spelled seems to good to be true... I must play that once it comes out.
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

I was really hoping Mortal Online would offer a perma-death server. :[ (Yes, I'm one of those sadists.)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:
<STRONG>I was really hoping Mortal Online would offer a perma-death server. :[ (Yes, I'm one of those sadists.)</STRONG>
Best servers in NWN were like this.   :)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 02:42:00 am »

If the LOVE video still is not showing for you, someone also hosted it on Gametrailers.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/194525.html

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »

Wow, I have to say, LOVE screenshots do not do the game any justice. It looks a thousand times better when you actually see it. The creator clearly has a vision and he knows what he's doing, I can see.
Pages: 1 [2]