Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 145585 times)

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2008, 12:29:17 pm »

I believe that Tolkien had a specific breed of Mordor orcs which were bigger than humans. I forget the name, though. It wasn't Uruk-Hai; those were Saruman's.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2008, 12:52:38 pm »

I believe that Tolkien had a specific breed of Mordor orcs which were bigger than humans. I forget the name, though. It wasn't Uruk-Hai; those were Saruman's.

I believe that those are the Hobgoblins [A name for the larger kinds of Orc found in Middle-earth in the Third Age], since the "Great Orcs" are the Uruk-hai basically. [A common name for the large soldier-orcs of Mordor and later also Isengard that troubled Gondor and Rohan in the late Third Age. This name is only ever used by Éomer, and may only have been current in Rohan, but the fearsome creatures it described had been known for five hundred years when he spoke these words: creatures whose name in their own Black Speech was Uruk-hai.]

Another possibility:
Orcs of the Mountains
A race of Orcs that inhabited the Misty Mountains. They were of a recognisably different kind to other Orcs, being somewhat larger than most, and well adapted for life in their tunnels beneath the Mountains. Their most important contribution to history was at the beginning of the Third Age, when they descended from their Mountains to attack Isildur as he rode home from the War of the Last Alliance. Thus, the Orcs of the Mountains were directly responsible for the loss of the Ruling Ring that Isildur carried.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2008, 12:54:49 pm »

I've got a problem. The orcs retreat way too fast. How do I get them to fight until the last one of them is dead? It's not that fun to kill off some and see the rest of the huge force running away, as seen in this video.

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-991-championsfendofflargeorcforce
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2008, 01:01:51 pm »

I've got a problem. The orcs retreat way too fast. How do I get them to fight until the last one of them is dead? It's not that fun to kill off some and see the rest of the huge force running away, as seen in this video.

As I said before, the Orcs use the same siege code that the goblins do, since I can't change it. While NO_FEAR should prevent them from running away when injured, it doesn't prevent them from retreating when their squad leader dies, which I suspect is what is happening here.

As I mentioned above when asked about them leaving fairly quickly after the dwarves sealed themselves in, it seems like a reasonable behavior for them to have. You throw overwhelming force at them, and they retreat. If you want them to stay and fight, you might need to do a bit of redirecting and blocking, rather than fighting on an open plain. Walled courtyards with drawbridges and such.

Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2008, 01:38:09 pm »

As I said before, the Orcs use the same siege code that the goblins do, since I can't change it. While NO_FEAR should prevent them from running away when injured, it doesn't prevent them from retreating when their squad leader dies, which I suspect is what is happening here.

As I mentioned above when asked about them leaving fairly quickly after the dwarves sealed themselves in, it seems like a reasonable behavior for them to have. You throw overwhelming force at them, and they retreat. If you want them to stay and fight, you might need to do a bit of redirecting and blocking, rather than fighting on an open plain. Walled courtyards with drawbridges and such.

Aw, damn. I thought NO_FEAR was supposed to make them unretreatable or something. Seems like I was wrong.

I hope there'll be something in the future which makes sieges last longer :)
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2008, 02:59:14 pm »

I believe that those are the Hobgoblins [A name for the larger kinds of Orc found in Middle-earth in the Third Age], since the "Great Orcs" are the Uruk-hai basically. [A common name for the large soldier-orcs of Mordor and later also Isengard that troubled Gondor and Rohan in the late Third Age. This name is only ever used by Éomer, and may only have been current in Rohan, but the fearsome creatures it described had been known for five hundred years when he spoke these words: creatures whose name in their own Black Speech was Uruk-hai.]

Another possibility:
Orcs of the Mountains
A race of Orcs that inhabited the Misty Mountains. They were of a recognisably different kind to other Orcs, being somewhat larger than most, and well adapted for life in their tunnels beneath the Mountains. Their most important contribution to history was at the beginning of the Third Age, when they descended from their Mountains to attack Isildur as he rode home from the War of the Last Alliance. Thus, the Orcs of the Mountains were directly responsible for the loss of the Ruling Ring that Isildur carried.

I don't recall "hobgoblin" ever coming from Tolkien.

Also, since Isildur was basically alone at the time, mugging him has never struck me as a great display of ability.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2008, 04:07:02 pm »

Another possibility:
Orcs of the Mountains

I don't recall "hobgoblin" ever coming from Tolkien.

It does, however they are only mentioned in The Hobbit:

"The term appears so rarely that there is little clear basis for a definition. Its only other occurrence is later in The Hobbit (7, Queer Lodgings) where Gandalf warns Bilbo that the Grey Mountains are 'simply stiff with goblins, hobgoblins, and orcs of the worst description'.
If 'hobgoblin' is just a general term for a large Orc, then their race is old indeed, predating the First Age. If, much less certainly, it refers to the Uruk-hai, then their appearance is more recent: about III 2475. This is recent in terms of the history of Middle-earth, but still five centuries earlier than Bilbo's adventures in The Hobbit.
In fact, 'orcs' appears exactly twice in The Hobbit: once in Gandalf's warning, given above, and once in Chapter 5, Riddles in the Dark: '...even the big ones, orcs of the mountains, go along at great speed...'"

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2008, 07:48:13 am »

Ah, the nomenclature of the orcoids is not really consistent between "The Hobbit" and the more adult Tolkien books. If we take every use of the words "goblin", "orc" and "hobgoblin" as evidence of a different race, then we have to presume that all the misty mountain goblins died out in between "The Hobbit" and LOTR and were supplanted by orcs.

I just take the view that Orcs have about the same variation in size as humans do, and that these uses of different words mean about as much as  "Thugs" and "Ruffians", for example. They  refer to the same people, the different words are just for rhetorical effect.

Uruk Hai are a special case because they explicitly refer to themselves as a specific group ("we are the fighting Uruk-Hai...etc"). Plus, the name means "THE Orcs".

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2008, 09:31:59 am »

If you want a race to fight to the bitter end, make a new race rather than writing over the goblin one. My undead never retreated, always fought to the last.

That's how it seemed anyway - they camp like humans though so it can take a while for them to actually rush your fort.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2008, 01:51:12 pm »

maybe its already been said but in Tolkein ocrs are breed from elves and black magic, so maybe a better language would be elvish?
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Ryan1711

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2008, 05:16:51 pm »

Though those suggestions may all be justified, ultimately these are Rysith's Orcs...NOT Tolkien's.

It's really quite easy to make the modifications yourself, I made some new orcs (though heavily based on these ones) in just minutes from scratch.

ZealTheSavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2008, 06:59:51 pm »

I just made a new world with a slightly modified version of these where their littler is like 4:6 and i have like over 9000 withing year 10

i think this is going to be fun

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2008, 08:02:54 pm »

I think I have a problem. I added the mod, but now when i generate a world and place my fortress i get dotted lines next to goblins and orcs. I think they both died out in the world gen process.
ey

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2008, 08:09:49 pm »

Dotted line just means that you're semi-hostile to both.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2008, 08:26:49 pm »

Dotted line just means that you're semi-hostile to both.

Will they still attack me?
ey
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37