Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 145308 times)

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #450 on: November 03, 2009, 08:39:08 pm »

Just a quick question. How long does it take for orcs to starve to death? I got a bunch locked in a room and Im waiting for them to die to get their shit.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #451 on: November 03, 2009, 09:56:47 pm »

Invaders never starve.  Your dwarves are the only thing that needs to eat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 06, 2009, 05:14:51 am »

Alright, been playing the mod, but as it's really the first time for mass seiges, I've kept invaders off till I was established.

Hmmm.. though i think my dual watchtowers packed with 10 marksdwarves in 'em each and hammer/axe/mace lords could take 'em

With full steel :D.

Turn 'em on, first seige came about 3 months later, as well as an ambush of Monkeys....

And the marksmen cut them aaaaaall down... shooting up a mountian, so 80% or so of all the bolts were retrievable.

can't wait for more though

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 15, 2009, 12:10:30 pm »

I downloaded the stuff, but i don't know where to put them i found similiar creature/entiity files and put the orc creature and entity files next to those, but what do i do with the launguage file?

do i delete the old entity default file?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 21, 2009, 01:31:01 am »

I downloaded the stuff, but i don't know where to put them i found similiar creature/entiity files and put the orc creature and entity files next to those, but what do i do with the launguage file?

do i delete the old entity default file?

No, you should be able to just copy the orc files in without touching any of the rest of your files.

Alright, been playing the mod, but as it's really the first time for mass seiges, I've kept invaders off till I was established.

And the marksmen cut them aaaaaall down... shooting up a mountian, so 80% or so of all the bolts were retrievable.

Well, yes. Sufficiently powerful dwarves can take on entire orc sieges naked*. The trick is getting there with orcs showing up twice a year from the beginning. Groups of armored and trained dwarves tend to be able to take on orcs on equal footing, and six of so steel armored/weaponed dwarves can take on entire sieges. I'm hoping that next version I'll have the ability to get finer control over how skilled invaders are, and what quality their weapons/armor are, since (as the civ leaders show) that's really what's holding them back from challenging a late-game mature fortress. That and the current status of traps, drawbridges, and constructed walls.

*do not attempt except for large values of "sufficiently powerful".
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 21, 2009, 09:23:23 am »

What tags would I have to change around to reverse Orcs and goblins? I'd like the goblins to swarm early ant the orcs to show up later.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 23, 2009, 04:41:58 pm »

So, I wanted to congratulate the creator on what is probably the most popular mod of all, and one which has been included in many mods since its release.

Second, I have a question and a hugely entertaining story. The story first, which contains spoilers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The question: I have heard orcs come riding wolf spiders at some point, and that it should amp up the difficulty for my goofing off, and give me something to have a lot of fun with if I manage to capture one. The problem is that I'm at 28 million in my 7th year with 143 dwarves (capped it at 130, then had kiddies) and all I am getting is the occasional local leader. Whats up? Am I missing something?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #457 on: November 23, 2009, 05:51:09 pm »

He he nice one Architect!  ;D

24 mil in 7 years? How the devil?

I think you only get the spiders and war elephants if you had them in the raws at game start and if they are in the areas the orcs attack from. Not 100% sure on that last one though.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:53:56 pm by Xanares »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 23, 2009, 08:03:27 pm »

Ok i just downloaded orcs several times, and am gwtting the message "One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it. Restore from backup if you are able."

It's not corrupted downloads so what is it?

EDIT: The source seems to be the language file... anyone know of anything? PLZ!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:14:45 pm by Micro102 »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 24, 2009, 11:03:54 am »

What tags would I have to change around to reverse Orcs and goblins? I'd like the goblins to swarm early ant the orcs to show up later.

In raw/objects/entity_default.txt, find the section for [ENTITY:EVIL], and change (spoilered for size)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then, in entity_orc.txt you'll find a similar section, change those progress triggers to 2 each.

The question: I have heard orcs come riding wolf spiders at some point, and that it should amp up the difficulty for my goofing off, and give me something to have a lot of fun with if I manage to capture one. The problem is that I'm at 28 million in my 7th year with 143 dwarves (capped it at 130, then had kiddies) and all I am getting is the occasional local leader. Whats up? Am I missing something?

Wolf spiders are like beak dogs, the orcs use them as mounts if there are wolf spiders near any of their fortresses. Dire Wolves from from shrubland, moderate and cold forests, and tundra. Wolf spiders come from evil forests. Elephants come from jungles and tropical shrubland. Thus, you're much more likely to see mounted orcs (since beakdogs came only from evil swamps, which aren't common at all), but you're not guaranteed spiders. If you haven't seen any mounts yet, then your orcs probably don't have any of those nearby. Solutions include increasing the number of evil squares on future maps, as well as decreasing the number of civilizations and making the world gen longer (which gives each one more time and space to spread out in).

I'm not sure what the problem is there. If it's just you, I can privately send you the language file. If it's a global thing, I could reupload the mod.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 24, 2009, 01:08:12 pm »

Can someone download it and tell us if it's just me or not?

I also have a saved game so maybe that's it?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 24, 2009, 09:38:55 pm »

If the mod hasn't been changed within two weeks then it is not global. If it has, then someone will have to reinstall it. Depending on the answer to that question I may do so to answer the question.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 03, 2009, 07:07:24 pm »

Possibly derailing the topic here, but anyways;

I was reading through 'The Hobbit' again and I noticed how Tolkien himself refers to orcs in the book. According to him, basically, goblins, hobgoblins and orcs are interchangable, but usually used (in that order) to give quick reference to the size of the goblins.
i.e. Goblins were the smallest, maybe 4-5 feet, hobgoblins were around humanoid size, maybe 6-7 feet tall, and the bigger ones would be referred to as Orcs, probably 8+ feet.

T'was interesting to me :P

Demolira

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 08, 2009, 01:08:27 am »

Ok i just downloaded orcs several times, and am gwtting the message "One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it. Restore from backup if you are able."

I just tried the mod, and got the same error.  I then discovered I placed the files in the Data/Objects directory, and not the Raw/Objects directory.  Once I fixed that, it worked for me.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 08, 2009, 09:36:40 am »

It works fine for me. Except that my dwarves keep getting brutally murdered, what's up with that?
"It's unpossible!"
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37