Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 145552 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #465 on: December 08, 2009, 10:31:02 am »

Possibly derailing the topic here, but anyways;

I was reading through 'The Hobbit' again and I noticed how Tolkien himself refers to orcs in the book. According to him, basically, goblins, hobgoblins and orcs are interchangable, but usually used (in that order) to give quick reference to the size of the goblins.
i.e. Goblins were the smallest, maybe 4-5 feet, hobgoblins were around humanoid size, maybe 6-7 feet tall, and the bigger ones would be referred to as Orcs, probably 8+ feet.

T'was interesting to me :P

I also did some reading, after I read here that the reason DF goblins are immortal is because they are Tolkien's goblins and not DnD goblins.  Tolkien's goblins are corrupted elves, and therefore also immortal.  One of the places I looked on the Internet said that Tolkien realized later that hobgoblins were the smallest rather than goblins, but since he had already written them as being the opposite that he left them that way. 

Gary Gygax's bugbears are described a large, hairy goblins. 

Apparently, the only civilized races my modded DF that did not derive from elves were dwarves, humans, kobolds, and frost giants.  Everything else was varying sizes of goblins, so I stopped playing while I thought over whether I needed four flavors of goblin in my game.

After a couple of days I decided to go ahead and keep them, but I made hobgoblins one size smaller than goblins and gave hobgoblins finite lifespans with litters and faster maturing young.  I figured goblins were the original corrupted elves and so were a little smaller but still immortal, as is true vanilla DF.  I made orcs the same size as elves and left them as immortal, as being superior examples of the original goblin type.  I made bugbears one size larger than elves, with a finite lifespan and litters, but left the maturation age as 12. 

While I was editing things, I made frost giants giant-sized, doubled their maturation age, and removed them from their horses.  Things of size 12 should not be able to ride horses. 

I made them all babysnatchers so I could add the intelligent tag and still have them not come with caravans.  I find it quite amusing to look in legends mode and see the orcs kidnapping from each other as well as from all the other races.

I kind of wonder why DnD needs Dark Elves when it's got all those corrupted-elf goblin types already available, but I suppose they had to circumvent Tolkien's copyright claims as they did with hobbits.  Since Tolkien drew his material from folklore, I'm not sure how much can really be claimed, but that's not my problem.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 08, 2009, 02:54:44 pm »

UN-Derailment!

So I genned a world where the Orcs all have names, but didn't bother to remove the relevant tag when starting my fortress. Predictably, I get Orcish traders instead of Orcish invaders.

I have tried to anger them into declaring war by seizing all their trade goods every time and locking up their merchants until the madness sets in, but so far theft and murder have failed to spark a war.

Any suggestions on how to provoke these civilized Orcs?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 08, 2009, 04:28:35 pm »

Could that just be the extremly rare "goblins Orcs are friendly" world gen?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 08, 2009, 10:54:22 pm »

Delete [Can_speak] from the orc creature, or replace intelligent with can_civ and [can_learn]

no regen needed
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Greg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 15, 2009, 07:15:30 pm »

Could using pregenerated worlds be the reason i have no orcs showing up on the civilizations?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 15, 2009, 09:44:23 pm »

You absolutely have to generate a world afeter adding a new race for it to show up, because civilizations are generated just like everything else. You can download a world generated with the mod, though.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 23, 2009, 02:32:17 pm »

How on earth do I survive this mod.

Fun as it is, 100+ orcs in my second spring with only 35 Dwarfs is pushing it a little.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 23, 2009, 05:01:01 pm »

How on earth do I survive this mod.

Fun as it is, 100+ orcs in my second spring with only 35 Dwarfs is pushing it a little.

I suspect you've only got 80 (5 squads of 16) at most, but...

Quote from: Alpha Centauri, Spartan Battle Manual
Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate.

A dozen trained dwarves in iron armor with iron weapons will take down a squad of orcs, especially if you've brought a competent smith with you. Give them terrain to avoid being swarmed, and you can take them down from your first migrant wave or so.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 23, 2009, 05:05:35 pm »

Aside from not having found sufficient ore as of yet to equip such a squad I must say.
Gians are superior to Spartans.

Although, I'm by no means an expert could you point me in the direction of what tokens it is that makes the sieges so much more severe than Goblins. I'm looking to bring them up to more threatening level on my non-orc folders.

And what effect would adding the orc littersize tokens to the other races have?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:09:38 pm by Ivan Issaccs »
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #474 on: December 24, 2009, 07:40:50 am »

Just wanted to say happy Orcmass in the orc thread.  ;D

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 25, 2009, 02:25:57 pm »

Although, I'm by no means an expert could you point me in the direction of what tokens it is that makes the sieges so much more severe than Goblins. I'm looking to bring them up to more threatening level on my non-orc folders.

And what effect would adding the orc littersize tokens to the other races have?

Mostly, it's the PROGRESSTRIGGER_X:1, in combination with the lack of baby snatching and no CAN_SPEAK. LAck of speaking means they are always at war, progress trigger 1 means that they show up right away (IE before you've had time to assemble an army of unstoppable champions), and lack of baby snatching means that they start out with sieges rather than baby snatching and ambushing. Once they start, the sieges follow a relatively linear ramp-up regardless of other tags.

The Orc littersize was an attempt to make their world gen sites overpopulated and encourage them to take more territory, thus increasing the number of local leaders and mounts available to them. It's unclear how well it worked.

And, Merry Orcmass!

Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 25, 2009, 08:01:31 pm »

When I added the littersize tokens to goblins, only about 250 survived worldgen, but there's six thriving "goblin" civs, composed of several thousand members of other races.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 10, 2010, 09:27:13 pm »

(I haven't read whole thread BTW)
You might want to add in the OP that stonefall traps dont hurt them, as I had like 20 and they ran right through them murdering my "defenses".
Then I recruited everyone and 12 dwarfes lived, though most are dying of thirst in bed because my river is frozen :)

EDIT: LOL spring JUST arrived and now they're dying of thirst

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 10, 2010, 09:35:56 pm »

They have trapavoid. It's displayed for all to see.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 10, 2010, 10:12:38 pm »

Im stupid, ignore that
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 37