Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 145444 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2008, 01:12:29 pm »

If someone else is able to attack them at the very beginning, world gen combat can allow them to die (especially vs. humans, since they end up on approximately equal footing with the humans until they can outbreed them, and we all know the kind of randomness that the world gen will throw in). As long as they are alive, though, you should see two 80-orc sieges a year more or less indefinitely by year two or so.

I can also now confirm that Orcs will bring beak dogs along with them on sieges. Does anyone know if beak dogs as siege mounts are hard-coded somewhere, or if this means that I can add in my spider-and-war-elephant-riding orcs in (since they really need a building destroyer, but I don't want to give it to the average orc. War elephants breaking down doors, though, is completely reasonable).
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2008, 06:48:47 pm »

no clue, but how do I add them into my game?  Noob question I know, but it's one I have to ask since I have 0 experience as any kind of programmer.  Just started classes on it this last quarter though.
Demon of Darkness

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2008, 06:51:47 pm »

You just have to copy_paste the two spoilers at the start of the thread into, respectively, Creature Standard and Entity Default in the raws folder.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2008, 09:48:38 am »

ok tried em out, and while I didn't get an overly large number of them in the first blitz it was certainly a nice change of pace to have to defend myself before I broke 120+ dwarves when most of us have at least a half dozen multichampioned warriors that can slay anything short of a dragon solo.

I lost five people and got some very interesting new ideas for defensive entrances since I refuse to overload my entryway with enough traps to slay gods and their kittens.

Thanks mate :)
Demon of Darkness

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2008, 11:45:45 am »

Yeah... I think I overdid it.

ORC MASTER LASHER: COME BOYS! THEIR MILITARY IS OUTNUMBERED THREE TO ONNNNNNUUUUUURG[Weapontrap][weapontrap]

LASHERS: OK. That wasn't good. Let's just stand here and see what happens.

ORC SPEARMASTER LEADING CARVERS: COME ON BOYS! THE ARROWS DON'T HURT US!

CARVER: Yeah, but didn't I used to have arms?

SPEARMASTER: CHAAAAAAAARGH....[weapontrap][weapontrap]

CARVERS: OK, we're going to just stand over HERE and see what happens.

LASHERS: But YOU are still being shot at.

CARVERS: We fear no arrrrrooooowwwwgh.... [DIE]

MACE LORD LEADING MAULERS: COME ON BOYS!

LASHERS: Ummm. I'd rethink this.....

[Gruesome mechanical carnage]

MACE LORD: Sod me. I've fallen in a ditch. And half my boys are dead.

LASHER FOUR: Have they looked angry yet?

LASHER SEVEN: No. Bored.

LASHER FOUR: Right, lets's just go.

MACE LORD: HEY GUYS! I'M STILL STUCK IN THIS DITCH!

FEY ELITE WRESTLER WITH BOW: Yup. [SQUITCH] Now you're stuck on the refuse stockpile.

Maybe 12 levels of weapon traps was overkill. Nah. What am I saying. There is no overkill. There's just "enemy not dead" and "enemy dead".

Learned some valuable lessons though.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2008, 12:07:45 pm »

Lesson No. 1, Marlowe: Never give them an avenue for escape.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2008, 01:50:45 pm »

Yeah... I think I overdid it.

/*snip gruesome death */

Maybe 12 levels of weapon traps was overkill. Nah. What am I saying. There is no overkill. There's just "enemy not dead" and "enemy dead".

Learned some valuable lessons though.

My only question, I suppose, if how you managed to get 12 layers of weapon traps up before they showed up. I suppose that the first few sieges were spent hiding underground?

There really should be a way to make it more difficult for you to seal yourself without giving them flying and buildingdestroyer. Hopefully the army arc will introduce ways to cross moats and break doors/drawbridges/weapon traps.

As a side note, I try to avoid sealing myself if at all possible, and keep no automatic traps in the entranceway (spikes, retracting drawbridges, etc. are still fine, and quite dwarven). Makes the Orcs much more difficult.
Try my orc mod!

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2008, 03:13:12 pm »

the most I tend to use are the one shots, a few stone traps, and I had a retractable bridge, I just elected not to use it because my military was right there waiting for them... til my squad leader decided a snack was more important than defending the fort :S
Demon of Darkness

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2008, 06:33:06 pm »

It was only the second siege, summer of year three. And no, I didn't hide from the first one.

I spent most of first spring building a channel around a nice big area to defend, with only one way in. Because of all the time this took, plus endless exploratory mining to find coal, our first year wasn't very productive in terms of trade goods. I think this led to them taking longer to turn up. Not that I'm complaining. It worked out well.

The traps themselves are loaded with Flint Greatswords and Green Glass serrated Disks, plus a few flails and such left by the last siege (it must have been one of those that knocked the Mace Lord in the pit. Irony with real iron) and a sprinkling of large daggers. Only 3-4 weapons per trap. With a legendary glassmaker it doesn't take long to put them up, and I had six months.

As hinted at above, [NO_FEAR][NO_PAIN]=not retarded enough to run into the same trapped corridor that just eviscerated your leaders, but retarded enough to stand under bowfire and get picked off one by one.

I don't mind them escaping just how. Hauling corpses is hard work.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:29:21 pm by Marlowe »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2008, 04:55:31 pm »

I'm at 60 dwarves already and no orcs to be seen, is this normal at all? How much wealth do I need to raise their interest?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2008, 05:55:53 pm »

I'm at 60 dwarves already and no orcs to be seen, is this normal at all? How much wealth do I need to raise their interest?

That's not normal at all. They should come at around 1000 exported wealth, 20 dwarves, or roughly 70K fortress wealth, whichever comes first. Some common problems:

Are they neighbors with you (did you see them in the embark screen with a red ------ next to their name?)

Did you regenerate your world after adding them? (if they don't have a civ to attack from, they won't attack at all)

Are you using orcs that have had their professions improperly stripped? (for some reason, the first few attempts at stripping their professions made late-arriving pacifist orcs)
Try my orc mod!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2008, 04:50:12 am »

Yeah, no problems with those. They finally sieged me, with one squad which had crushers and wrestlers. Guess they were just a bit late to the party.

My modified arrows barely damaged them at all (bludgeon, less damage), after around 200 of them were fired, two were dead and half were wounded. So I sent my three melee dwarves: one hammerlord, a macedwarf and a hammerdwarf against them. And they finished the orcs off, although I lost two wardogs.

Can't wait for bigger sieges. I'm so screwed.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 05:05:44 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2008, 05:47:13 am »

That's not normal at all. They should come at around 1000 exported wealth, 20 dwarves, or roughly 70K fortress wealth, whichever comes first. Some common problems:

If that's true then they won't usually arrive in the first year when playing Faerie. The Fey caravan arrives too late to trigger them, and the other conditions aren't usually met by the end of the first year.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2008, 08:13:49 am »

Goblins are SIZE:6, and Humans are SIZE:7 in the vanilla game. I think that Orcs must be SIZE:8 [like a werewolf for example] , but it's your mod, so it's not my business.  :)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2008, 08:48:33 am »

Depends on your definition of "Orc". Tolkien's were supposed to be a little smaller than humans, and in D&D they're about the same. It was Games Workshop that decided Orcs should be green and massive.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37