Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 144495 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #480 on: January 10, 2010, 10:32:55 pm »

Im stupid, ignore that

Hey, didn't mean to put you down. It's an easy mistake to make, since almost nothing in vanilla has trapavoid. No civilizations have it.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 13, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »

I love this mod.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 27, 2010, 08:06:04 pm »

To up the ante a bit more, I decided to increase the size of all enemies, including orcs. For the most part I just x3 or added 15 or so onto it.

As such, when building up my military a small group of 8 goblins ambushed me. Size 21 goblins. I thought "Eh, this'll be fine" and sent a group of 4 champions at them. Each of said champions could probably wipe out a small army of regular goblins. 5 seconds later, all 4 champions were dead. The goblins were already inside the fort, and headed straight for the mass of civilians in the main meeting hall.
Naturally, I decided to go out in a blaze of glory, and activated all 70 military-capable dwarfs, and sent the remaining 4 champions towards the goblins.
The dwarves piled onto the gobbos, mostly just punching them or trying to wrestle them to death.
As you might think, since 4 superdwarf champions (legendary wrestler + another weapon) were killed immediately, this civilian militia was somewhat short lived.
In the space of 10 minutes, all but 9 of my dwarfs were dead, and those remaining were either dying or traumatized. They managed to take down 3 gobbos. And it was glorious.
Having spent 4 years building up this fort, nursing it and caring for the inhabitants, I decided to quit and savescum. Now 6 months on from that now non-existent encounter, a force of 16 Orcs have appeared, most of them armed to the teeth, each of them standing at a towering size 32. Which puts them bigger vanilla megabeasts. As such, I am currently employing a cunning tactic. Hiding and hoping they leave soon.
Maybe after another year or so of training my growing army will be able to hold their own against them. Maybe.

Tl;dr, Orcs be awesome, their punches make my guys asplode atm.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 27, 2010, 11:38:38 pm »

BGHFA

I missed removing one natural ramp in my setup. (I decided to turn TRAPAVOID off, having a huge military is too difficult by the time orcs siege.) All the orcs poured in through it, past all the lovely stone-fall traps. My one marksdwarf got torn to shreds, before they turned and tore apart the six other dwarves.

Next time, I'm getting my stockpiles indoors quicker.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 28, 2010, 02:49:34 am »

I missed removing one natural ramp in my setup. (I decided to turn TRAPAVOID off, having a huge military is too difficult by the time orcs siege.)

In Dig Deeper you get your first orc siege with the first merchant and migration.

You just need better traps.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 28, 2010, 03:29:15 am »

Eh, I've heard stories of them turning up before immigration, and for whatever reason my military train rather slowly - normally, about half a year for champion wrestler, than one and a half to two years for shield / armor / weapon.

So yeah, fancy traps with magma / water wasn't feasible, with no visible magma and the river on the other side of the map.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 07, 2010, 08:48:46 am »

I dont know if this came up before, but I just got a orc caravan.
I added [CAN_SPEAK] after I started my fort. Any idea how this is possible?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2010, 09:38:35 am »

I dont know if this came up before, but I just got a orc caravan.
I added [CAN_SPEAK] after I started my fort. Any idea how this is possible?

It happens sometimes. The best way to ensure it doesn't happen is to add CAN_SPEAK after your first encounter. But even then sometimes it happens.

To up the ante a bit more, I decided to increase the size of all enemies, including orcs. For the most part I just x3 or added 15 or so onto it.

As such, when building up my military a small group of 8 goblins ambushed me. Size 21 goblins. I thought "Eh, this'll be fine" and sent a group of 4 champions at them. Each of said champions could probably wipe out a small army of regular goblins. 5 seconds later, all 4 champions were dead. The goblins were already inside the fort, and headed straight for the mass of civilians in the main meeting hall.
Naturally, I decided to go out in a blaze of glory, and activated all 70 military-capable dwarfs, and sent the remaining 4 champions towards the goblins.
The dwarves piled onto the gobbos, mostly just punching them or trying to wrestle them to death.
As you might think, since 4 superdwarf champions (legendary wrestler + another weapon) were killed immediately, this civilian militia was somewhat short lived.
In the space of 10 minutes, all but 9 of my dwarfs were dead, and those remaining were either dying or traumatized. They managed to take down 3 gobbos. And it was glorious.
Having spent 4 years building up this fort, nursing it and caring for the inhabitants, I decided to quit and savescum. Now 6 months on from that now non-existent encounter, a force of 16 Orcs have appeared, most of them armed to the teeth, each of them standing at a towering size 32. Which puts them bigger vanilla megabeasts. As such, I am currently employing a cunning tactic. Hiding and hoping they leave soon.
Maybe after another year or so of training my growing army will be able to hold their own against them. Maybe.

Tl;dr, Orcs be awesome, their punches make my guys asplode atm.

Size is by far the most important combat statistic, as it's a flat damage reduction that is not affected by critical hits (unlike all other forms of damage reduction such as armor and damblock) applied to anything smaller attacking you, and a flat damage increase when attacking something smaller than you.

Basically, the absolute best way to make a creature more dangerous is to make it biggerer.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2010, 09:45:30 am »

Will this be updated for the next release?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2010, 12:01:03 pm »

I think it will be very important to see how challenging the next version is before we jump to inventing new races to make it tougher. The current combat system just isn't a challenge, even with Orcs or other things to make it as tough as we can. It will be quite a large endeavor to write RAWs for the next version and that isn't something people will be jumping into lightly.
The sigs topic:

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 02, 2010, 12:56:01 pm »

>.> I'm gonna make Orcs based on yours for the new version, for personal use.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 07, 2010, 01:12:53 am »

Has anyone made this compatible with 2010? if they have can they throw in some underground orcs to?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 07, 2010, 01:24:46 am »

Wow, chill on the mod-happiness. There are plenty of new options and new enemies to fight, so whats the rush here?

Nothing is going to happen until we have a stable version of the game. Enjoy the new features! Enjoy the increased difficulty! There is no need for orcs anymore. The game has natural difficulty without them, and due to the current bugs you can't even fix minor wounds on your dwarves anyway.

Orcs were to give us something worth fighting in the last version. They served their purpose, and now they have none. Their only value now is nostalgia. Let's wait and see what is needed before shoving out the next half-formed orc mod. There's no point in half-assing it.
The sigs topic:

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 07, 2010, 01:25:21 am »

DF2010 so does not need Orcs.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 07, 2010, 01:40:30 am »

Bah! i sit 2 years with nothing more then a half assed wall and door maybe some cage traps. I miss the days when my dwarves screamed at each other to get a wall and moat built on embark. I miss the carnage and fear the orcs inspired--no matter what the new version throws at me none of them come close to the wonderful orcs.

The underground is a joke compared to the orcs--even the titans dont come close to the constant sieges of 20-30 orcs every season. I remember being forced to up their populations because they would expend their entire local population and eventually stop sieging. I love the challenge that orc mod brought and before i event genned a new world with 2010 i edited the gobbo raws to increase their birth rate and that was not enough!

I dream of breaching a cavern then getting ambushed by dark orcs before i get the defenses built forcing me to build expansive gate houses before i breach anything. My army cant die fast enough to get the desired attrition rates i so crave.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37