Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 144486 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:42:38 am »

Please see this post for details on DF2010(0.31.10+) orcs.

Just thought that I'd throw this out there as my first bit of attempted modding, since I've benefited from the mods other people have posted here.

I decided that the goblins didn't come often enough, and ran away too quickly. The goblins from the "better goblins" mod seemed more geared towards adventure mode than fortress mode, since they seemed a bit too powerful to be able to take on a siege of. Or, if they weren't, it was a siege vs. a large, mature fortress who's entrance was covered in more traps than there were dwarves inside.
Enter the orcs, a non-speaking race that will show up in large numbers. Larger and tougher than the average dwarf, they are raiders drawn by tales of wealth in dwarven (or human, or elven, or goblin) fortresses, and once they have arrived they show no fear and feel no pain until they have killed and plundered everything. Unless, of course, they get bored and leave for another fortress to loot and pillage. Assuming you can't drive them away, though, you should be prepared to spend at least 6 months out of the year sealed away underground, not an easy task at all.

Also, unlike non-speaking goblins, I've never had an issue with the orcs dying out during world gen. Fast birth rate and large populations seem to help with that.

Version 0.2 changes!
- Orcs are now faster, so they can chase down your woodcutters and fisherdwarves that are caught outside during sieges
- Orcs are now active summer/winter only, so that they don't interfere with dwarven caravans. I've seen them show up as early as my first winter, though with a fast start they might show up the first summer.
- Orc settlements are much larger, which helps them in world gen combat, because...
- Orcs worship a pantheon of (mostly unpleasant) gods, rather than a demon. Demons seem to have some odd things attached to them in world gen, so I wanted to take them out. Plus, they should put decorations of their gods on their equipment, and who doesn't want an iron shield with an image of an Orcish god of war on it?
- Orcs now eat their kills.
- Orcs are now clad only in armor, leather loincloths, and leather cloaks, as befits their savage nature
- Orcs are less choosy about their fortress locations, and so have a tendency to expand more rapidly during world gen.
- Orcs will no longer send crossbowmen, only bowmen. No bolts for you!
- Custom names for orcish soldiers: Crushers, stabbers, slashers, carvers, maulers, lancers, and snipers.

Version 0.3 changes!
- Orcish language!
- To have non-speaking orcs with names in fortress mode, generate the world and then add the [CAN_SPEAK] tag to their entity file after embarking.
- Added [trAPAVOID]
- Added three mount animals: Dire wolves, Giant Wolf Spiders, and Armored War Elephants
- Minor tweaks that should encourage them to expand well in world-gen.

- Updated first post

Overall, they are now a race of savage barbarians that will raid your fortress twice a year, killing anything that they can path to. They don't need demons to lead them, they do just fine on their own. Goblins need demons because goblins are weak.

Installation:
- Download from http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=877
- Place the three files in your raw\objects directory
- Regenerate the world
- (optionally) add [CAN_SPEAK] after starting fortress mode
- Have Fun!

Edit 2/12: Finally remembered to do this:
Thanks to Jarathor, there are now Orc graphics. I haven't tested them, but the image is here and the instructions are here

Edit: Foxbyte has repackaged Jarathor's Orc graphics into an easy-to-install file, available at the DFFD
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:41:54 am by Rysith »
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 02:04:27 am »

I just made some orcs too - with the same size/damblock lol. I think i put my litter as 1-6.

I like to see hordes of enemies :)

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:16:27 am »

Make    [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:PERSONAL_MATTER]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:PERSONAL_MATTER]
acceptable.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:18:05 am »

Looks like meat's back on the menu, boyz!
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:40:42 am »

Not to poke fun, but you spelled it "Hoard" in the profile. Did you perhaps mean "Horde"?
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 10:50:40 am »

Not to poke fun, but you spelled it "Hoard" in the profile. Did you perhaps mean "Horde"?

yep, my spelling is horrible, but DF doesn't care anyway.
Try my orc mod!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:35:21 pm »

You know, this kind of makes me wish there were more workable clothing tags. I.E. [CLOTHING], [CLOTHING_BARBARIC] (leather only, minimum of stuff, mostly loincloths and cloaks), etc... although to be fair, all you'd really need is a [LEATHER_CLOTHING] tag and you could customize it yourself.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:18:38 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 02:21:53 pm »

I wonder; can you remove applicable jobs and still have them work as a civ? E.G. removing anything that doesn't pertain to hunting, killing, etc?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 02:27:49 pm »

You ought to be able to do that, yes. I don't see why not at least, since the engine isn't that complicated and it's mostly just flavor right now.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 02:47:01 pm »

You ought to be able to do that, yes. I don't see why not at least, since the engine isn't that complicated and it's mostly just flavor right now.

Alright; I was worried it might affect worldgen somehow.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 02:55:17 pm »

So long as you don't remove leatherworking I don't think it will.

Woodcutting and carpentry might make a mess, but if you don't intend to give them it, don't and see what happens. Theories are confirmed and disproved by experiments.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 03:27:27 pm »

I removed all the masonry, glassmaking, lyemaking, etc...left in furnace operating and wood burning for forging, if the game counts that at all. Oh, and added loincloths.

Still trying to get my Oozes to spawn and eat all my food, then I can reset and add both of these in.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:39:46 pm by Warlord255 »

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 03:30:33 pm »

Made a quick-and-dirty modbase package for anyone who wants it.  With the TC's permission, of course.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 03:50:03 pm »

Made a quick-and-dirty modbase package for anyone who wants it.  With the TC's permission, of course.

Modbase is fine with me, I put it out here for redistribution and modification, didn't I?

About the professions: I took them from the goblins, and didn't mess with them too much (for fear of breaking world-gen in ways i didn't understand), but even with those in they seem more than capable of fielding sizable armies: I've seen sieges of 50 come after a 30-dwarf fort, so it didn't seem to be negatively affecting their intended purpose. I just bumped up their MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER to cover for any of the useless ones. Removing weaver and clothier to force them into leather might work, though. I'll try messing with their professions after they wipe out my current fortress in a day or two.
Try my orc mod!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 03:57:53 pm »

Here's my modded version, if you'd like; minor tweaks, including renaming of their fighters.

Entity:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37