Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 144484 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2008, 12:20:31 pm »

These guys are so going in for my next worldgen. But not until I get my Piecemaker mod to work. Though not even 800 GORE damage sounds like it'll be enough...
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Matthias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2008, 12:32:18 pm »

I made this with some conversion to VeryInky's set. Maybe you could use them? I dunno.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2008, 01:13:25 pm »

These guys are so going in for my next worldgen. But not until I get my Piecemaker mod to work. Though not even 800 GORE damage sounds like it'll be enough...
Whatever happened to that thread?
I got it (the piecemaker) to work perfectly by doing exactly what I said to do there...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 02:19:35 pm »

The nameless orcs thing is getting on my nerves; I'm going to add CAN_SPEAK and UNINTELLIGABLE UTTERANCES to see if it gives them names without allowing them to make peace with anything.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 02:32:11 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2008, 02:35:25 pm »

My orc civs have names but none of the orks seem to have any names on the map, which is kind of fitting because if they breed so fast how are you going to tell which orc that one is? I changed my starting config to include 15 dwarves with the proper amount of food/booze/seeds to ensure they dont die before i can get it rolling, i quickly delved into the stone layers and dug out 4 huge chambers so i could build my walls and moat with its drawbridge. I have 15 dwarves my wealth is at 42000(obsian is worth to damn much!) and my first autumn has already seen a siege of 15 orcs marveling at my pretty drawbridge.

I love in the legends screen it details them hanging corpses at their towns and this orky splinter town had over 5 screen lengths of unknown corpses getting strung up and every single human town has like half their populations as guards. Do they attack gobbos? i would love to see a gobbo siege waltzing in then an ork siege right behind them slaughtering them.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2008, 04:13:31 pm »

Whatever happened to that thread?
I got it (the piecemaker) to work perfectly by doing exactly what I said to do there...[/quote]
Maybe it's because I'm still on .40c, but I had problems getting more than one type of ranged weapon to coexist for my dwarves; not sure if that was just because they used the same ammunition or not, but I got a nice fortress going after I ironed it out and didn't want to start playing with the raw files lest I bugger up my existing worldgen. At some point I'll get around to making a second copy of DF to use as a test bed.

Edit: The weapon we're discussing may be found here. Happy orc-splattering!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 04:16:24 pm by Jake »
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2008, 07:10:42 pm »

Why not upgrade to 40d?
..I don't see any reason to wait...  We have like 4 months by Toady estimation before the next version...
I have multiple ranged weapons co-existing perfectly, including ones that use the same ammo: only problem is that the ammo is repeated multiple times in the forges/bow(y?)er's shop.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2008, 11:22:45 am »

Why not upgrade to 40d?
..I don't see any reason to wait...  We have like 4 months by Toady estimation before the next version...
To be honest, I figure it isn't worth the hassle of backing up all my mods and downloading the new version over a mediocre DSL connection just to fix a handful of minor bugs, some of which I hadn't even noticed.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2008, 02:34:27 am »

DO NOT ADD UTTERANCES.

IT CAUSES THEM TO GO TO AT-PEACE.

GOD DAMN I WAS LOVING THIS FORT SO MUCH UNTIL I REALIZED THEY AREN'T GOING TO ATTACK ANYMORE.

I'm giving them 'till autumn to get their shit together. If they don't siege again by then, I'm throwing my hands in the air.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 05:32:13 am »

Uh they arent attacking enough make em more fighty! also any chance of making another race or just making gobbos more fighty also? what about beastmen? I NEED CONSTANT SIEGES- it would just be better to make some special thing you could make that ensures constant sieges and attacks so at a certain point you could just build it and wait for the fun.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 02:43:54 pm »

Uh they arent attacking enough make em more fighty! also any chance of making another race or just making gobbos more fighty also? what about beastmen? I NEED CONSTANT SIEGES- it would just be better to make some special thing you could make that ensures constant sieges and attacks so at a certain point you could just build it and wait for the fun.

Distance to their nearest civ definitely seems to affect their ability to attack you, so you might check where they show up in the embark screen. To help get some close by, you might try increasing the number of civs at worldgen, since it's unlikely that anything will kill them off (so more civs = more orc civs = more sieges). They definitely do attack, though, and are about as fighty as you can get.

In general, the more hostile civs you have, the more sieges you'll get. If you wanted more sieges, you could try making the Orcs more active (adding spring and winter to their active seasons) or creating more non-speaking civs with different active seasons (maybe a winter/spring, spring/summer, summer/fall (Orcs), and fall/winter civ?). I think you want to have many short civs rather than a few long civs so they refresh if you kill a siege off.

Once my current test fort is done (testing if I can get >80 orc sieges, and hopefully if they bring along animals/trolls as well), I'll see if I can think of some well-flavored other civs to throw in. The only problem I can see with constant sieges is that once they start, you'll have no caravans reaching you (I've heard sieges can replace caravans, and even if they didn't, it would likely die getting to your fort), and you'd have liaisons/diplomats dying left and right, which might mess things up a bit too much. As I said, though, I'll see.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 02:46:12 pm »

The nameless orcs thing is getting on my nerves; I'm going to add CAN_SPEAK and UNINTELLIGABLE UTTERANCES to see if it gives them names without allowing them to make peace with anything.

I'm not sure that they are nameless. I've definitely seen named orcs (normally after they have killed off most of my dwarves), so you just might not have activated them enough to get the pre-named ones. First/second goblin sieges normally don't have named goblins, either.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 03:10:45 pm »

I've had sieges replace caravans and i've seen a caravan arrive with a siege behind it- thats when it gets fun when the caravan guards hold off the 60 gobbos long enough for the wagons to get into my walled winding entrance then my marksdwarves begin to thin their numbers. I pretty much only need literally 3-4 planned caravans before im completely self reliant and only need caravans for useless items.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 03:25:09 pm »

EDIT: n/m  :)

Wolenber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2008, 11:59:24 pm »

Warlord, your HORDE entity has it listed as [trANSLATION:GOBLIN] instead of [trANSLATION:GOBLIN].

I'm not sure if that matters, but it's the only thing I can think of for the whole nameless thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37