Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 144497 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 12:05:57 am »

Not that it matters.

THEY CAME BACK! In the winter, oddly.

...and I almost died.

Also, some major pathfinding issues (read: heavily directed towards entrance from the south, they arrived in the north) saved my skin from the third squad... but, uh, yea.

Shit is so cash.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 02:03:35 am »

Not that it matters.

...and I almost died.

Also, some major pathfinding issues (read: heavily directed towards entrance from the south, they arrived in the north) saved my skin from the third squad... but, uh, yea.

Shit is so cash.

If they killed some of your dwarves, did you see any named ones show up?

I think that the image that sticks in my mind and confirms that orcs can have names is that I remember the first fort that I tried with them (back before I knew what they were capable of) I forgot to remove one of the ramps leading up to my aboveground farming plateau. Anyway, they found their way in, slaughtered my army, and proceeded to wipe out my fort. As I watched the last dwarf in the depths die, I prepared to re-embark, but the "Your strength has been broken" didn't appear. I looked at the unit screen and saw that one of my dwarves was still alive, somehow, and zoomed to it.

He was up at the very top, where they had first come in. He was also unconscious, and being held by two orc wrestlers.

The leader of the orcs, now an axe lord, and definitely with a name, walked up to my one surviving dwarf as they two wrestlers held him down.

At¡r Bomrekidek, Recruit has been struck down.

Yeah. That's around when I decided that I had to post them here.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 06:18:43 am »

sweet, trying this out on a *special* swamp world.... hehe
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2008, 02:22:33 pm »

Not that it matters.

...and I almost died.

Shit is so cash.

If they killed some of your dwarves, did you see any named ones show up?

I think that the image that sticks in my mind and confirms that orcs can have names is that I remember the first fort that I tried with them (back before I knew what they were capable of) I forgot to remove one of the ramps leading up to my aboveground farming plateau. Anyway, they found their way in, slaughtered my army, and proceeded to wipe out my fort. As I watched the last dwarf in the depths die, I prepared to re-embark, but the "Your strength has been broken" didn't appear. I looked at the unit screen and saw that one of my dwarves was still alive, somehow, and zoomed to it.

He was up at the very top, where they had first come in. He was also unconscious, and being held by two orc wrestlers.

The leader of the orcs, now an axe lord, and definitely with a name, walked up to my one surviving dwarf as they two wrestlers held him down.

The ones who get kills get names, yes, though if they don't they just show up as  "the orc" in the kills list.

And that story is pretty epic.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2008, 12:27:12 pm »

Tried reading up a bit on modding, but I fail miserably everytime I touch the RAWs.

I'm supposed to add the Civ text to the top of "entity_default" and the Creatures to "creature_new", and then generate a new world?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2008, 07:08:57 pm »

If you want, I can upload my versions of the entity_default and creature_standard. Though for my next version I'm changing the letter to a capital O, to reflect their terrifying size.

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2008, 01:57:47 am »

Thanks for posting these.  Had a warband of ~15 drop by in my first Autumn, just as I finished the perimeter wall.  Luckily some merchants were around to help fight them off.  These guys are much scarier than the goblins; they go a long way toward satiating the dwarven craving for war.

Very nice.
You have struck Microcline!
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2008, 08:53:09 am »

*bump*

I was thinking about implementing a modified version of this.  I have some questions as to whether some of it could work and how:

1.  How do I make them ride mounts?  I've heard of Goblins and Elves doing this when they siege.  I would like orcs to ride something suitably terrible into battle, like specially modified War Elephants.
2.  Is it possible to have them fight alongside certain monsters?  Specifically, I'd like them to siege with trolls in toe.
3.  Will "Baby_Snatcher" interfere with anything, like say their tendency for perpetual war?
ow did this get here

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2008, 09:36:35 am »

*bump*

I was thinking about implementing a modified version of this.  I have some questions as to whether some of it could work and how:

1.  How do I make them ride mounts?  I've heard of Goblins and Elves doing this when they siege.  I would like orcs to ride something suitably terrible into battle, like specially modified War Elephants.
2.  Is it possible to have them fight alongside certain monsters?  Specifically, I'd like them to siege with trolls in toe.
3.  Will "Baby_Snatcher" interfere with anything, like say their tendency for perpetual war?

1 & 2, which are Goblin behaviors, seem to be out of whack currently, for some reason.

As for 3, the only reason they attack early and often is precisely BECAUSE they lack the BABYSNATCHER tag.

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2008, 09:53:05 am »

Wait. Triple post?  Goddamn. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:55:30 am by i are not good with compu »
ow did this get here
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2008, 09:53:56 am »

Dubble prost  :(
ow did this get here
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2008, 09:54:28 am »

1 & 2, which are Goblin behaviors, seem to be out of whack currently, for some reason.

As for 3, the only reason they attack early and often is precisely BECAUSE they lack the BABYSNATCHER tag.

Well, damn.  How bugged (concerning mounts and ally monsters) are we talking here?  It seems to happen, which is enough for me.  If the behavior is very rare, mounts and cohorts could be made suitably overpowered to compensate.
ow did this get here

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2008, 01:27:17 pm »

Something that I'm going to try as soon as I get them working again (taking away their non-leather clothing seemed to break their ability to wage war effectively. 30 Orcs in year 4 is not good enough!) is adding other creatures to their civ. I read somewhere on here that that makes them pets, and hopefully that means that if I give them pets they will bring them into battle. That's the hope, anyway. Current candidates for pets are a modified GCS or giant wolf, though I could see war elephants with [BUILDINGDESTROYER:1] added and a bunch of DAMBLOCK  ;D.
Try my orc mod!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2008, 03:41:38 pm »

so many orks..... so s-

BEES AND ORKS! A WAR BETWEEN THE BEE'S AND THE ORKS. A horde of unstoppable insects that outnumber the orks 10 to 1 verses an army of uber beasts :P

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2008, 04:47:19 pm »

New version released! Orcs will kill you dead! Updated first post!

Also, when you generate your world, read the legends about the orcs. They do crazy things, like singlehandedly kill giant desert scorpions after losing one of their legs, and fighting off goblins while outnumbered 5:1.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 05:15:53 pm by Rysith »
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37