Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any freeware physics based games out there?  (Read 2538 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any freeware physics based games out there?
« on: October 01, 2007, 07:18:00 am »

Are there?

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any freeware physics based games out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:25:00 am »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:48:00 am »

http://www.fun-motion.com/list-of-physics-games/  if you haven't already seen the site. Not all of them are free, but the ones that aren't often have demos.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »

www.orbitersim.com

It's something that I just recently picked up. The engine is based off Newtonian physics, and you can fly around the around the Earth and dock on the ISS and stuff. Completely free!

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

I just tried the orbiter sim it's pretty fun  :)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

I recommend Plasma Pong:  It's got fluid physics.  Can't provide a link right now, but it's an easy web search.  I've spent tons of time just playing with the different visualizations in sandbox mode.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »

Yeah, plamsa pong is fun. Especially with an other player.
Also, not really based on physics, but more on gravity, there's N, a Lode Runner like, wich you can find here.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »

Nothing beats Sumotori Dreams! It's a very funny sumo ragdoll fighting game!   :D

Site Link

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

Already have Cortex Command, it's great, the gore!

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »

I now love this thread, for it brought me Cortex Command.

Though back on ABB I knew about it before, when it was called "DIRT". But I couldn't play it because of my old crappy Win98 system.

The game seems to be missing explosions though. But it makes up for it in the ability to fly a rocket at ultra-high speed into the side of a drop ship, have it spin out of control tearing through the landscape, and smash some poor dude to a million tiny pieces.

It's so fun to stick your brain-bunker underground where they can't get at it, then you can just play as long as you want since the green team just keeps coming. I've had maps with heaps of crashed rockets and dropships, body parts and robot parts spread everywhere, and a whole hill of shell casings!

Did I mention it's fun crashing the rocket into things? Or killing people with the exhaust? :P
Or destroying an engine of a dropship, causing it to spin out of control and squish the guy it just dropped... then roll over on top of me...

[ October 09, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>I now love this thread, for it brought me Cortex Command.

Though back on ABB I knew about it before, when it was called "DIRT". But I couldn't play it because of my old crappy Win98 system.

The game seems to be missing explosions though. But it makes up for it in the ability to fly a rocket at ultra-high speed into the side of a drop ship, have it spin out of control tearing through the landscape, and smash some poor dude to a million tiny pieces.

It's so fun to stick your brain-bunker underground where they can't get at it, then you can just play as long as you want since the green team just keeps coming. I've had maps with heaps of crashed rockets and dropships, body parts and robot parts spread everywhere, and a whole hill of shell casings!

Did I mention it's fun crashing the rocket into things? Or killing people with the exhaust? :P
Or destroying an engine of a dropship, causing it to spin out of control and squish the guy it just dropped... then roll over on top of me...

[ October 09, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]</STRONG>

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Except the part about knowing of it before, because i didn't.
But you forgot to mention the awesome modding capabilities, and the awesome art and music, and all the awesome things in the planing not yet implemented, and the awesome backstory, and lots and lots of other awesome stuff!
Actually, it reminds me of DF, thy are as different as you can get genre and style and gameplay and most other things as well, the only similarities is the level of awesomeness (almost half as awesome as DF, about a quantazilllion times as awesome as anything on the market) and the fact it is free.

the other games in this thread is also great! Orbiter is damn mutsh cooler than any flight simulator and from the site in the third post there comes also some pearls!

Lot and lots of god games, got some new favorites to be sure, I love physics games!

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...