Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reaction+graphics help for colored megaproject  (Read 1596 times)

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reaction+graphics help for colored megaproject
« on: November 05, 2008, 05:55:11 pm »

I want to recreate a small .gif image in pixel-to-floor-tile format for shits and giggles.

The problem is, I'm fantastically impatient and want to see the finished project without having to deal with making a proper fort in the meantime - I just want DF as the creative format. And I'm willing to mod/cheat to do so.

Safety and speed construction are the easy part - tack on [NO_BREATHE] [NO_SLEEP] [NO_EAT] etc tags, wall yourself in, and your only danger is tantrums - unless [NOEMOTION] prevents that too. [SPEED:1] solves any other impatience issues.

The part I'm stuck on is getting the stone/other building material I want that's in the right color. Since I'm pretty sure some of the colors used in the .gif don't exist in the default graphics tileset (and one important color doesn't even have a good approximation), I should probably edit that too.

So basically, I want:
- Tileset colors for stone or other building materials based on an external image's colors
- Reactions or other methods to easily acquire large amounts of these materials

I think I could figure out freebie reactions based on the adamantine cheat on the wiki, but I'm not confident with tileset editing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I'm open to alternatives to using floor tiles for "drawing" the image I'm trying to make; they just seemed most convenient.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction+graphics help for colored megaproject
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 06:01:27 pm »

Honestly, there are only, what, 14 colors possible? You could try using dithering by using both fore- and background color but that's the limit of the engine.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 06:11:57 pm »

So basically, I want:
- Tileset colors for stone or other building materials based on an external image's colors
- Reactions or other methods to easily acquire large amounts of these materials

I think I could figure out freebie reactions based on the adamantine cheat on the wiki, but I'm not confident with tileset editing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I'm open to alternatives to using floor tiles for "drawing" the image I'm trying to make; they just seemed most convenient.

Floor tiles can certainly work, though if you mix in other types (walls, statues, stairs, etc.) you can get tiles other than '+', which might be helpful.

On the modding:
Stone colors are found in matgloss_stone, where they are given as three 0-7 numbers. Details are on the wiki

For the reactions, your intuition towards the free adamantine reaction is correct, you'll want a reaction with
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:COLORED_ROCK]
for each color that you want, after you've made the appropriate stones in the matgloss. You should be able to just copy an existing stone type and modify its name and color, since you'll be making them in the smelter rather than mining them.

If you do decide to go with non-floors/walls, I'd recommend making a reaction that takes them as a reagent too (or one reaction that takes them all as reagents) to make them economic, so you can control what your dwarves make statues/doors/etc. out of.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 07:00:35 pm »

Aha, the colors page helps a lot! Pity I can't just copy+paste the image color data from Photoshop, but the color token list gives me a great selection to estimate from. Thanks a ton.

I don't know about using other tile types, but I don't think I will; I'm not really enough of an artist to know what would be best to use there, especially if they're supposed to match the "curvature" of the image. Maybe I could match it to texture of the image contents...? Well, work for an advanced version, I guess.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 07:07:04 pm »

What is the .gif, dare I ask?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:21:55 pm »

What is the .gif, dare I ask?
I'm a secretive bastard and I try to finish ideas before I reveal them for the surprise factor, even though I never really finish them 90% of the time... mrf.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:18 pm »

DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 08:54:25 pm »

Now why would I go and do something like that?

It'd be too large and require too many shades of tan, anyway...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 12:51:01 am by E-mouse »

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 12:52:13 am »

Er. Wait.
What can color tokens actually be used for? Only dyes? I focused on matching up the colors to that, and I think I'd need them to make it look decent.

Can color tokens be used instead of the (0-7):(0-7):(0-1) format for stones and metals?
Failing that, can reactions make pre-dyed items? Usable dyes? Or just core plants to process a bunch of?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 05:54:41 pm »

Er. Wait.
What can color tokens actually be used for? Only dyes? I focused on matching up the colors to that, and I think I'd need them to make it look decent.

Can color tokens be used instead of the (0-7):(0-7):(0-1) format for stones and metals?
Failing that, can reactions make pre-dyed items? Usable dyes? Or just core plants to process a bunch of?

I think that color tokens can only be used for dyes, unfortunately. And, I think that you'd need to make raw plants and process them yourself. However, at the worst, you could try giving a stone a color token and see what it did. If it worked, i forsee a "more colorful" mod in the near future.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.