Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death from above.  (Read 640 times)

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Death from above.
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:33:23 pm »

Been planning some new fortress defenses around the idea of not isolating the fort or going heavy on traps, siege weapons, or anything else to easily wipe out anything that dares step foot on my map. I want a fight, not a slaughter. So far my main idea is having nearly every wall carved into fortifications, and having crossbow dwarves pretty much live in the walls. What I'd like to know is, can dwarves shoot directly down? I'm thinking of putting grates in the ceilings above the walkways I'm planning on drawing invasions through, so I can have dwarves rain down fire from new places.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Death from above.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:45:24 pm »

Well, if you look at the wiki (defense), there is a system that works in a way that suggest that should work.  It involves building a constructed bridge over a long hallway and building fortifications on the bridge that point towards the fort.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:52:45 pm »

Well, if you look at the wiki (defense), there is a system that works in a way that suggest that should work.  It involves building a constructed bridge over a long hallway and building fortifications on the bridge that point towards the fort.

Doesn't look like it. That looks like a standard out and down shot, which is possible. Straight down, such as standing on a grate and shooting through it, is something I haven't seen proven yet.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:21:43 am »

I want a fight, not a slaughter.

I have no idea if dwarves can shoot straight down, but if you've got any sizable amount of marksdwarves at all, it will still be a slaughter.

It should be easy to test, though.  Cage a goblin, pit him in a 1x1 room, have dwarf stand on grate 2 z-levels up, see if dwarf shoots goblin.  My guess is he won't, though.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.