Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lashpools [Community Input]  (Read 1308 times)

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lashpools [Community Input]
« on: November 05, 2008, 10:39:13 pm »

Hello all.

What I have here is a bit of a conundrum.

I have what I think is a really cool looking map, but... I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with it.

That cliff side is just begging to be smoothed, but... do I cut off all the stuff in the N/NE corner as well, having a giant cliff taking up just the West side of the map, or do I leave that part alone?

Do I use that "mini spire" as a natural ramp to the entrance of my fortress, complete with massive bridge project, or do I just put the entrance on the ground floor... or even just dig in from the top?

The one thing I do know for sure... there's going to be a waterfall over the entrance if it's on a cliff side. I'm also tempted to have a dining room that's open to the outside... wow, what a view!

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any sand, so I can't have a dining room that juts out with a waterfall pouring over a glass dome around it :(

This isn't going to be a community fort at all, nor can I guarantee a story (though I did get one started at the map archive), but I would like to have your input on what should be done!

I'd like to see what other people come up with as well, so if you would like to embark on this location for yourself:

Spoiler: world gen info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: embark map (click to show/hide)

Oh, yeah, it was genned in 40c, I haven't bothered upgrading to 40d yet. I have history culling turned off, if that makes a difference. If you just want my save, here ya go. (Yeah, there's a bit more food than I suggest at the DFMA, I just said that to give them a reason to make a fortress instead of heading home.)

Spoiler: shh... hidden features (click to show/hide)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Lashpools [Community Input]
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:52:59 pm »

Find a place along the cliff that is slightly flat, then level it off a bit more. Then you can use the flat space to make the entrance to your fortress. And the waterfall bit sounds pretty cool.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!