Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Forbidden stuck weapons cause both creatures to freeze up  (Read 1702 times)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Forbidden stuck weapons cause both creatures to freeze up
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:29:16 pm »

This has happened to me a couple of times.  When one of my soldiers gets her weapon stuck and it happens to be forbidden (I forbid them to juggle sparring vs. combat weapons), both the soldier and the creature she's fighting stop fighting.  In fact, they stop doing everything: I just spotted a dehydrated dwarf with her sword stuck in a zombie mountain goat. 

Unforbidding the weapon and switching her to wrestling didn't work.  She finally went off to drink when I sent another dwarf over to kill the goat.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Forbidden stuck weapons cause both creatures to freeze up
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:13:39 pm »

She's twisting the weapon, which is UTTERLY USELESS against zombies, because they do not know pain and don't bleed.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:44:58 am »

I've sent my soldiers out to kill hundreds of zombie creatures, but I've only noticed this happening when their weapons were forbidden.  That could be a coincidence, but.  To test that, I'll switch my main zombie-killer to a sword and make sure it's not forbidden.

It appears the creature stops counterattacking while they're stuck.  Otherwise I believe the dwarves would continue gaining armor/shield/et cetera skill, but they don't.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:59:45 pm »

Okay, I've tested it further, and it doesn't matter if the weapon is forbidden.  It may very well be what (name here) suggested.  Though I'm not sure that fully explains why both creatures stop fighting.

In my most recent test, I observed that the dwarf got unstuck when other creatures wandered over.  She pulled out the sword and attacked them instead, and this time managed to kill them all before getting stuck again.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 08:40:30 pm »

Okay, I'll note it down.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!