Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead Demo!!!  (Read 7744 times)

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead Demo!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 03:56:53 am »

I'm having a grand old time playing these two levels over and over again!

The zombies falling down all slow makes me waste bullets making sure they are dead. It looks too much like a stumble. Those fuckers need to fall down.

Anyways, this game provides epic moments every time. I got dragged by a Smoker thru my own molotov cocktail explosion, into the welcoming arms of a Hunter. Then a Boomer blew up on me and I fell to the ground and defended by teammate til the Horde was wasted and he dragged me to the exit. YESSSS.

Is there a DF Forum Steam group?
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 04:49:42 am »

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 09:16:25 am »

Is it just me?  I don't recognize any names from the DFPlayer group.

I'm joining though, on my usual screenname, Muffles, that was stolen from me by FORUM MADNESS.
Shoes...

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 09:28:14 am »

Yeah, I joined that awhile ago. I'm Silvio.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 12:39:32 pm »

If you play as the zombies, instead of typing director_force_versus_start, type sb_all_bot_team 1

The first one they're really stupid, only move if they see zombies, can't complete the mission, and can't leave the starting room of the subway level; but the second one fixes all of those.

Also, to go into Ghost mode for the zombies, type "ghost" for hunter, "ghost boomer" for boomer and "ghost smoker" for smoker.  z_spawn tank is the only way to play as the tank.

You can get on top of buildings via drainpipes, but the rooftops are untextured, probably to fake a few FPS for the demo.  Sneaky VALVe...
Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 12:39:45 pm »

If there's a gun that shoots sawblades, I'll buy it instead of doing my usual pirating.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 12:59:14 am »

If there's a gun that shoots sawblades, I'll buy it instead of doing my usual pirating.

Good luck pirating Steam games, thing's tighter then Fort Knox

And I'm in that DF group already, some good people in there.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 01:04:02 am »

Good luck pirating Steam games, thing's tighter then Fort Knox

You'd be surprised how skilled some people out there are.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 01:45:37 pm »

Well I have 12 hours logged onto this demo so far, so I guess I'm already getting my money's worth.

I had some dumbass 420xHeadshotxMasta type join my room the other day and he kept spawning tanks from the devconsole. It was pretty annoying, but he spawned one in the safe room which was kind of fun. Then he did it like three more times and summoned a witch.

How have you guys been doing with dedicated servers? I've just been LANing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 03:39:03 pm »

I can usually get a decent group, but everyone's had several days to play, and I think a lot of them are getting bored.  I'm sure once it's released the griefing will go down.
Shoes...

smeej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 03:52:32 pm »

I play purely Friends Only.

The demo should let you work on your Achievements >_>

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 08:52:49 pm »

Wow, this game is amazing. The animations are really top of the line. And I like how the system specs are so miniscule as well. It looks great and it feels great.

Though it's way too easy on normal.

Oh yeah, the floaty corpse thing. I don't find a problem with it though as as a CS twitch gamer, I'm always headshotting. So I know they're dead because they don't have heads.

edit: Man, this game gets scary on the highest difficulty... I mean, I go Rambo-style all the time in normal (with my pistol), running up to the zombies and whacking them in the face. But on the highest difficulty... wow... 5 zombies hit you at once and you're dead. And they spawn so often too.

edit edit: And the Director AI is truly a work of art. Example:
I hear the sound of a witch crying after I cap the last zombie. Crap. Kill the lights. We walk slowly down the path (which has suddenly become mysteriously devoid of zombies) and it opens to the crashed subway train in the huge underground clearing. And there she is, crying right in the middle of that open area.

The music goes into one of those "heartbeat tense" moments and the lights start to fade while the witch is slowly illuminated by a deep red light as we slowly sneak past by the side and climb onto the crashed train where the mood goes into a mini "tension over" phase with a let up in the music and slow recovery of the lights.

This was my third playthough. The first time, the place was again mysteriously isolated and we just waltzed into the train when suddenly, the front end starting flying towards us. TANK! And his army of zombies!

The second time, the place had a huge bunch of zombies which we mowed down before moving into the train when the music went beserk and a massive wave of zombies charged at us from both ends (and some even breaking in through the windows).

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 02:44:09 am »

Holy mother of god... that Director AI must be incredible to be able to do that to you...

I MUST HAVE THIS!  ;D

smeej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 12:45:06 pm »

Most epic death I had so far was when the Director sent a Horde after me, then a Boomer came around the corner and puked on me which summoned an additional Horde. Then, in my blind panic, I accidentally shot a car and set off it's alarm. One more Horde. Even a pipe bomb couldn't call them all off me. Oh yeah, it was on super hard.

I love whenever the AI Smoker isn't stupid and actually separates me from my party. Ugh.

Is there any real tactic to taking down the Tank, or is it just concentrate fire? Is his head a weak spot? I light him on fire, but that just seems to make the situation more horrifying.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 02:13:41 pm »

I don't think I've ever had an epic death, I've seen other people die in epic ways.

In the first mission, as we were leaving, a panic event hit.  Zoey and I seemed to be the only preorderers, as we immediately started running for the safe room.  Bill and Louis tried to fight it off.  In the chaos, someone hit the car alarm, which made things worse.  By this point Zoey and I had made it to the safe room, Bill was heading down the stairs, and Louis was off in la-la land.  Cue Smoker.  Louis suddenly slides back and begins to be constricted.  We're telling Bill to leave him, but Bill was a few elves short of a forest retreat, so to speak, and he headed back to save him.  Seconds later, he's grabbed by a hunter.  Only two of us were left, and the only way to save them would be to rush into the horde and drag them out.

We closed the door.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7