Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Similar to Dwarf Fortress, But Hamsters Instead Of Cats  (Read 2048 times)

BathosAndPathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Similar to Dwarf Fortress, But Hamsters Instead Of Cats
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

I was talking about this before in a couple other threads.  It's fun, and it's even easier to starve your "fort" than in DF.

I started getting obsessive about food production, and I tooks drastic measures to ensure there was enough good eatin' to go around.  The tactic worked quite well, actually.

The game does have its shortcomings however.  Mostly technical problems related to the dreadful movement of living creatures.  The conceptual stuff was all very pleasing.

I remember being reminded of this quite a bit when I was playing DF...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »

It sounds very DF-like. Ordering dwarves to dig and to make food?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:25:00 am »

Yep.Get them to dig, farm (giant mushrooms, hamsters, grubs), build elaborate traps ("squish" trap.  Takes three stone chunks, if I remember correctly), cook, breed (no immigrations), and bury the hats of all their dead enemies before they actually tend to their own.

One of the main things that annoyed me was that the Urwald maps didn't have any metal in them.  I dug and I dug and I dug, but not so much as a scrap of ore came out.  

There are four "worlds" in Diggles.  Urwald, which is a verdant and mossy area that sports a calm environment, prime mushroom-growing conditions, and generally lots of wild hamsters and grubs.  It also will often have several pools of water in some places.  This is the hippy/laid-back area.

Then there's the sulphur zone.  Everything has a disgusting dark-yellow color, vile alien flora grows rampant, and small bursts of flame pop up from time to time.  However, "base" ores such as iron and gold are very common, along with large amounts of coal.  This is the industrial area.

Next we get hell.  The stone takes on a blood-red tint, and very few things grow.  Vile monsters roam the caverns, waiting for a chance to sink their teeth into dwarven flesh.  Ores are very common however, as is coal.  This is the bastion-against-evil area.

Finally, crystal.  The air is filled with a perpetual fog of sorts, and the whole world takes on a dark blue color.  Vast crystalline formations grow from the walls and lend the area a very strange yet mystical atmosphere.  Coal is hard to come by, but it contains a smattering of every ore in the game.  It is also the only area (so far as I know) where you can harvest the crystal, and in great quantities.  Crystals are used in making the most expensive and lavish accommodations in the entire game, as well as certain other interesting things.

But beware, not all the crystal is so docile as to wait around for your harvesting efforts to destroy them.  Strange crystal spiders make this area their home, and although they appear delicate and filled with unearthly grace, their razor-sharp appendages can make mincemeat of an unprepared dwarf.

Also, don't even try hunting hamsters without a slingshot.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 10:57:00 am »

Ooh I love this game, i still have it around here somewhere.
one thing that always bugged me is that the diggles have a pick, an axe ,and i think a couple of other things, in their pockets (or maybe in their hats).
has anyone ever made a lightsaber? I never could get my research high enough.
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.