Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Space Colony Games  (Read 15890 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Space Colony Games
« on: November 07, 2008, 02:39:11 pm »

I've been playing a lot of GalCiv 2 lately, but am looking for a good space colony sim.

Back in the SNES days, I used to play Utopia, but never played much else.  Does anyone know of a good game like this?  I suppose you could call Alpha Centauri a colony sim, but I'm looking of something more focused, where you manage the city itself.

Fragile Allegiance looks pretty good, but haven't played it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:41:00 pm by lumin »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Space Colony Games
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 03:56:32 pm »

Fragile Allegiance is a classic, I used to play it a lot when I was a teenager a decade ago.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 04:35:30 pm »

Deadlock was great.  Deadlock 2 I never played, but I heard people weren't too fond of it.

Still...Deadlock.  Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock:_Planetary_Conquest
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:47:01 pm »

Deadlock 1 looks pretty good.  I sort of like the art style.  Deadlock 2 looks a little too cartoony.

I've always wished someone would make a space colony sim with a darker tone to it.  Like something out of Aliens or Starcraft. 

I could see how finding some vicious alien race would be pretty fun, and then have to call in a distress signal to the homeworld for help.  You'd have to arm your citizens and make a militia like stand, until the marines arrived.

Reading Speaker of the Dead, and Xenocide, by Orson Scott Card are also good source material for a colony sim.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 04:49:00 pm by lumin »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 05:24:57 pm »

Deadlock was good too. I remember there was this game where you made a colony underground. I think it was made by microsoft too. The followup obviously sucked.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 05:26:30 pm »

Startopia is exactly the game you're looking for.  A space-station management sim made by the guys from Dungeon Keeper, though it's pretty light humored.  Loads of fun, and remarkably detailed and pretty for a 2001 game.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:28:55 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:28:51 pm »

It was fun for a while. It's rather interesting in multiplayer modes.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 05:56:52 pm »

I've got a game buried around here called... Space Colony. Never would have guessed that, would you?

It's not really the best game out there. It attempts to be SimCity, The Sims, and Generic RTS #5, but doesn't do any of them particularly well.

Hey, you didn't say they had to be good space colony games.

There's also MoonBase Commander. I can't tell from the screenshots if it's the one I played years ago. If it is, it's pretty much the original SimCity on the moon.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:27:14 pm by Mephisto »

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 06:07:57 pm »

I've always been fond of Alpha Centauri, but then again, I'm also a big Civ fan.

I also enjoyed Outpost for a short time.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 06:42:17 pm »

Anybody try the Mars Simulator?  Looks interesting, but maybe a little too much "sim" and not enough "game"

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 06:57:46 pm »

I recall Alien Legacy having somewhat of colony managment, although overall it was more focused on the storyline and flying around exploring and collecting resources for research. The storyline was great because you were trying to find out what lead to the destruction of the colony that was supposed to have been established there years before your ship got there.

Also, while story driven as well, Imperium Galactica (the first one) was initially pretty much about being governor of a planetary colony with a small fleet to take on threats like pirates. I'm uncertain how it fared later as it crashed on my computer during a cutscene. :C (although I've heard you keep advancing in rank till you become ruler of humanity and in IG2 you start off from there - ruler of one of 3 races)

Concerning Fragile Allegiance, it's more about establishing small corporate mining colonies on asteroids and fighting off the competition than really managing colonies (especially since the resources are exploited quite fast, so you may as well abandon them then).

Also, while I can't really recommend it since I haven't gotten very far into it, Reunion is rated quite highly among abandonware sites.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 08:52:51 pm »

Mars Sim. is great if you're a realism freak. There's no real goal to the game, but then, it's the DF forum after all.
Somewhat similar in hard-sf approach, but less hard core(not much), was Outpost. Like Mars Sim the focus is purely on colony management=no alien invaders, but with a game goal and some nasty bugs to boot. There was a sequel as well, but I've never played it.
Reunion was great back in it's time, however it may seem somewhat simple/cliche today(or maybe it's just the jaded soul of mine speaking). It had a cool story and atmosphere though.
Ah, Utopia, the fond memories...
And does anybody remember K-240, the precursor of Fragile Allegiance?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 07:41:48 am »

Oh yeah, the game I was talking about was Outpost... I guess it was made by sierra then. *smirk* Great game. But don't play outpost 2.

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 08:00:38 am »

Outpost 2 was not as fun as outpost 1.5 but to bad when game wasrelease it was half finish .
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 09:19:51 am »

Outpost 1 itself was crappy as hell. Incomplete and full of bugs, but I don't remember the details, I guess I got the 1.5 later, if it was the one that worked on win95 instead of 3.1
Pages: [1] 2