Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Space Colony Games  (Read 15889 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Colony Games
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 09:22:44 am »

I own Outpost 2... it isn't exactly a Space Colony game in some senses of the word.

I dislike the game however mostly because almost every single map has a Time limit... If you go over the hidden time limit then the map floods with lava pretty much ending the game. (Even with Lava Proof Walls the game pretty much ends as you can't build anymore)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 04:43:54 pm »

Yeah, I owned both. I like 1 better, despise all its flaws and micromanagement.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 05:25:27 pm »

I've been meaning to try out Startopia and Reunion.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 05:54:39 pm »

Startopia is awesome.  What's Reunion?
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 06:35:47 pm »

Ahh, K-240 was fun.
Not very well balanced (nuclear missiles were the easiest way to win, unless against one of the alien races with missile deflectors), and kind of difficult to manage with many colonies, but stil loads of fun.
I still remember the dread of hearing 'Incoming missile' or ' Resource deficiency'.
I had no idea that there was a PC remake.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 08:08:56 pm »

Reunion was a bit like imperium galactica in colony management and type of buildings.

Outpost 2 sucked because the ubiquitous timelimit prevented any relaxed development I find enjoyable in simcity etc. Outpost 1 was fun, but eventually got boring as it lacked something in a goal or storyline. (something the sequel tried to remedy with fatal cnsequences)

Startopia is great fun. Especially the biodeck I like.
It's levels have varied missions to overcome.
Sandbox play is still fun because of the many aspects and occasional event such as meteorstrike or saboteur.
Can be played very offensively with security troops and droids. Droids are great.
there are several areas of enterprise: -agriculture, industry, research, medicine, entertainment, security, trade! (always have a spacedock+storage).

Enemy nations. (mediocre)

try UFO -  Afterlight.
It is the third in the UFO(X-com)-inspired aftermath-aftershock series by Cenega, focussing on a martian outpost.
It has territory grabbing (by military means), research, and a little outpost development. Interesting is the limited number of troops/inhabitants. Essentially you'll have to manage with what you start out with, so medicine is not optional. Most of the game will focus around squad combat though, as is traditional in the series.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 08:45:20 pm »

Afterlight is good, except that there's no auto-mission. It's one of the things that has always bothered me about x-com. While it wasn't much of a problem in ufo defense or x-com 2, excess of combat gets annoying in the after series.

Seems like you can't have your soldiers go to the bathroom to pee a little without having to fight aliens.

As for reunion, it's very interesting, I have played it quite a few times before. The UI is very very 90s and clunky tho.

Edit: The site where you can get Reunion reminded me of two good oldies. Supremacy and Maelstrom. Again, two clunky time consuming colonization/management games.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:03:13 pm by Soulwynd »
Pages: 1 [2]