Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 141

Author Topic: Elona: Roguelike.  (Read 471641 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona: Roguelike.
« Reply #1620 on: November 09, 2009, 07:06:31 pm »

Catching little sisters, IIRC. I think eating them is more worthwhile, but the quest reward is pretty good too.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: November 09, 2009, 08:28:18 pm »

Awesome stone.

+
It inflicts massive damage to dragons. [#####]
It negates confusion.

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The queen of Palmia got drunk, threw up, and starved to death. XD
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:22:24 pm by Jack_Bread »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: November 09, 2009, 09:38:27 pm »

Did she drop good loot?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: November 09, 2009, 09:45:19 pm »

Her card, figurine, meat, a crap knight helm [0,3] XP, a shield, and a nice artifact composite girdle.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: November 09, 2009, 10:53:11 pm »

Her card, figurine, meat, a crap knight helm [0,3] XP, a shield, and a nice artifact composite girdle.

Why am I not surprised.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: November 10, 2009, 12:15:54 am »

Why am I not surprised.

Chastity belt? Well, the King knows too well that he could be assassinated at any moment; to protect his asset before he can respawn, the device is a necessity... :P

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: November 10, 2009, 12:26:54 am »

Why am I not surprised.
The queen is red mage in disguise! Now if only she could spawn with the name Debora...

On an unrelated note, why am I still playing this game! I can't get past the newbie dungeons, it seems like the developers never balanced anything, and magic is ridiculously underpowered. This game should stink, so why doesn't it!?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: November 10, 2009, 01:37:03 am »

Why am I not surprised.
The queen is red mage in disguise! Now if only she could spawn with the name Debora...

On an unrelated note, why am I still playing this game! I can't get past the newbie dungeons, it seems like the developers never balanced anything, and magic is ridiculously underpowered. This game should stink, so why doesn't it!?
From what I've read, magic is almost impossible starting out. The magic missile slaughters shit left and right, but then you run out, and you run out of books, long before you can cast anything higher. (The count stuff is bullshit; you spend mana, and gradually lose the ability to cast it at all if you don't have a steady stream of inexplicably disintegrating spellbooks >:| . The fuck? It's like all the worst parts of different casting systems rolled into one...) Of course, I've never got a magic user higher than level three, and only got to level four with a claymore, which would appear to be overpowered bullshit, compared to everything else I've tried. And even then, giant squirrels like to tear me apart, and kobolds often kill me in a single hit. >:|

Only thing I've managed to make money doing is running delivery quests between derphy, the port, vernis, and palmia. So long as it has enough time to make the journey (it takes two days from palmia to vernis, with 80 speed (if I remember right), about two more to the port, maybe three, I'm not wholly sure, I like the 8-10+ day ones :D), a single one, with at most one random encounter, nets 1500-2000 gold, items, including so far some spellbooks and what is apparently a randomly generated artifact (a heavy small shield called "sex parents" :| ), and occasionally a platinum or two.

It does appear to be significantly friendlier than any other roguelike I've played, however. Probably the fact that death doesn't delete your fucking save. >:|

Only managed to do dungeons with that claymore. Failed with every caster and the one golem warrior I tried. Hence my guess that the claymore is overpowered as fuck all. And even there, I died often, or had to run out (usually in search of food)...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: November 10, 2009, 02:05:01 am »

This game should stink, so why doesn't it!?

Any more stupid questions?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:11:11 am by Blaze »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: November 10, 2009, 02:14:29 am »

Ooh! I love how panties do mind damage. XD
Also, what's with the last pick?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: November 10, 2009, 05:18:58 am »

It's exactly what it says on the tin :).

Also, have you guys checked out some of the moongates?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:52:05 am by Blaze »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 10, 2009, 10:38:33 am »

Only managed to do dungeons with that claymore. Failed with every caster and the one golem warrior I tried. Hence my guess that the claymore is overpowered as fuck all. And even there, I died often, or had to run out (usually in search of food)...

Golems are too slow to be useful - anything I've tried to do with them results in getting raped by basic ranged enemies (public performers, yeek archers, etc).

Also, what level were you attempting these dungeons at? You say you've only reached level 4, but from my experience it's only smart to start attempting a danger-level 1 dungeon by at least experience level 5 or 6 (probably higher for non-warrior classes).

I keep getting this moongate level wherein there's a small, locked room with an extremely high-level friendly mage in the centre, surrounded by portals that continually spawn monsters for a (seemingly) set amount of time. Wait outside until the explosions stop, and hey presto, free items. Still haven't found anything exceptionally interesting, though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:44:57 am by 3 »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: November 10, 2009, 08:10:07 pm »

I forget how exactly I set him up, but I was playing as some sort of dwarven chef...  My main goal was to set up a ranch or something where I could farm people.

I got really lucky with him.  You know that piece of beggar meat you get when you start out?  Well, I had him eat it, and he immediately got that cannibal trait.  He now eats humanoids regularly, and absolutely loves human flesh.

Don't know where I left him though...  He's been my single most successful character to date.  I might just have to start it up again and keep playing with him for a while.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 10, 2009, 08:19:57 pm »

Golems are too slow to be useful

Get a mount.

Their usefulness just multiplies after that.

It takes a bit of work to keep the horse useful mind you (Genetic Engineering to give it a proper amount of limbs for example) but honestly when your playing a Mounted Golem, you will kill everyone!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 11, 2009, 12:39:13 am »

So I'm going to assume the easiest (or least painful...) way to start off is to just run delivery missions until you've leveled up a few times, have good equipment, and enough platinum to bring your combat skills up to par? That's the best way I've managed to avoid adding to the death message spam. ::)
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 141