Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141

Author Topic: Elona: Roguelike.  (Read 471493 times)

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
Re: Elona: Roguelike.
« Reply #2085 on: October 14, 2010, 08:14:27 pm »

I've never seen that problem before. Was Numlock on? The controls won't work correctly if you have Numlock or Capslock on.
Numlock was off. Capslock was off.

That's intended. Demon and Hard (Something that explodes into rocks instead of gibs) meat causes Insanity/Dim status effects.
I can tell that random movement is intended, but as i said, the NUMPAD, and some of the keys to get off stuff gets bugged, and no longer works without a restart. I'm glad for \ being a cancel button that works, or i'd be screwed.

As i said before, random things that happen, like a skill leveling up, or eating on the world map, or anywhere randomly, and some attacks too, even levelups, too much stuff bugs the keys, and i don't get how the creator didn't notice that, unless he/she doesn't play it at all, but just fix stuff that people talk about.

That's intentional, what the hell did you expect if you give someone food far past its prime?
That they wouldn't be stupid enough to eat ROTTEN FOOD. I mean, they don't smell or look at it? Kinda unrealistic, don't ya think? I mean, if someone dies during your time getting the item, and being a delivery boy, why would she place blame on you, when it would be on the guard? He let the food spoil, so he should've been the one attacked. Either way, one person or both was a target in the matter. And lets not forget how guards are complete monsters. You steal something they don't knock you down, or try to arrest you, they kill you.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: October 14, 2010, 08:29:55 pm »

How come an Asian game uses a name from Norse mythology? Just closest translation?

It's because it's an extremely unprofessional translation mostly done for fun from what I remember - volunteer fans translating pretty arbitrarily :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: October 14, 2010, 08:42:32 pm »

Besides, I'd think if you have a sword that nukes the level while it summons a massive army of dragons then calling it something like Ragnarok might not entirely incorrect.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: October 14, 2010, 10:12:05 pm »

I tried the game but had a hard time getting into it the same way as other roguelikes.  The grinding feels very tedious and Korean style, and the combat doesn't have any sort of a clean tactical feel to it like DoomRL or Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.  There's a depressing feel to it where you either can beat an enemy or can't at a given level instead of having a chance of bumping off the most difficult enemy with a brilliant strategy or burning enough resources.

I played long enough to collect enough medals to buy domination rods and build myself an unstoppable army of bells, got all the other adventurers drunk, stole all their gear and equipped my fully limbed genetically modified bells with it, ground myself up to level 38, and gave up when my karma dropped through the floor because I got caught in a snowstorm, lost the diseased individual I was running to the doctor, and missed paying my taxes.  No, I didn't actually quit then.  I quit after I went infected every city with aliens, then nuked them and stole all the furniture for my cave.

The real problem is that I have no reason to start a new character, the next one will play exactly the same as the last after a couple hours of grinding unless I play one of the really diseased or otherwise disadvantaged classes.  Then it just takes several more hours to get to the same place I was before.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: October 15, 2010, 11:40:12 am »

Is this still developed? The dates on the homepage seem to be a bit buggered, does it actually mean the last update was 2 years ago?

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: October 15, 2010, 12:02:04 pm »

Yeah he's released some beta versions. Looks like last one was May 8 2010

http://noaneko.squares.net/dev/

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: October 15, 2010, 12:15:37 pm »

Last news post was last week so I think it's safe to say it's still being developed.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: October 15, 2010, 03:38:54 pm »

Last news post was last week so I think it's safe to say it's still being developed.

From the looks of it (I read a little japanese and translated the rest online) the news post says his computer exploded or something. So maybe not, maybe so.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: October 16, 2010, 12:15:06 am »

Well i found out what was messing up the game.

But now my party is permanently saying it's full when it's not. GYAH!

Edit: Well at least it's not a bug... the wiki helped.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:23:03 am by Hugna »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: October 16, 2010, 12:34:59 am »

Well i found out what was messing up the game.

But now my party is permanently saying it's full when it's not. GYAH!

Edit: Well at least it's not a bug... the wiki helped.

Just head to the inn, res your pets and dismiss them. Or boost your charisma.

Kasarn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: October 16, 2010, 06:18:48 am »

How come an Asian game uses a name from Norse mythology? Just closest translation?

It's because it's an extremely unprofessional translation mostly done for fun from what I remember - volunteer fans translating pretty arbitrarily :P

ラグナロク
ra-gu-na-ro-ku

It's a reference to Ragnarok in Final Fantasy. I didn't include it in the wiki because I thought it was rather obvious and yet irrelevant, and that people would be more interested in the myth.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:23:39 am by Kasarn »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: October 16, 2010, 07:17:06 am »

Does level actually matter much?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: October 16, 2010, 07:38:09 am »

Level influences a lot of things. Unfortunately, most of those things are against you.

Quests, monster levels, and a lot of formulas regarding the RNG are related to your level and fame. Level effects your max HP/MP as well.

Aside from that, it's usually best to raise skills/stats high and keep levels low.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: October 16, 2010, 07:50:35 am »

I keep getting burdened whenever I buy some decent armour :/ Anyway to increase capacity before burdened?
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141