Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 141

Author Topic: Elona: Roguelike.  (Read 471915 times)

Teriferin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona Roguelike
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2008, 04:46:00 am »

My character must be the most irritating person in the world as I have yet to get rid of even a single red face, even when I give engagement rings and the like as gifts.

Might have something to do with the rather frequent deaths my pets suffer.

I have also noticed that you can buy an "Indulgence" from the sister in Nuyel. Any idea what that does? I'm thinking its karma related, but I'm not sure.

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008, 05:39:00 am »

Does anybody know where engagement items are extremely common?

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 10:30:00 am »

The indulgences basically let you pay to bring your karma up when you're pretty far negative. It isn't enough to bring you out of criminalhood, but it brings you pretty darn close. As another note, Derphy doesn't have guards, so it's a fairly safe place to grab some quests to get your karma back up to safe levels (-29 or so seems to be the criminal point).

The guy next to the fire giant in Nuyel has -tons- of engagement objects... the problem being that most of them are super-enchanted, and thus cost an arm and a leg.

On another note, I've dumped probably a hundred thousand gold into this freaking magic shop, and still no cure disease potions... though I did see a cure corruption, but it cost 100000, and I couldn't afford it.

Chaosquirrel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

If you build your own castle/hire your own shop keepers and invest in them, you can get quite a few valuable items. Sure, it costs a lot. But a mage with three meatshields can easily cast a couple of spells.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

I can't afford any new house with the exception of the storage house. How do you folks get so much money?

Oh, not sure if this is known, but the Japanese Elona download page features an MP3Pack for music. It's 50mb and very nice, works in game and everything by unpacking it to Elona/user/music - great, if you have the space available. Not that I have anything against MIDI, but the average Windows XP/Vista computer has no sound card and absurdly horrible sounding MIDI.

Link to page: http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/elona_top.html

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

Ok, this game sounds very fun and all, but I can't get it to work. The error reports are in japanese, but does anyone have any general tips to try to get it to work again? I already downloaded the error corrector thingy.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

Bien had a problem that was solved by downloading it again; might be trouble with the server, corrupting downloads, or just bad luck.

Other than that... hm. Make sure you have video card drivers, as I'm fairly certain Elona makes use of your card for something (lots of transparency). I'm assuming it uses DirectX but I can't tell, so make sure that's up-to-date (although it probably is).

Failing that, are you running XP or Vista? If Vista, make sure you use "run as administrator" or what not. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 05:04:00 am »

How do I "Run under admin?"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 05:51:00 am »

It's where you hit someone hard enough with a car that they go flying up and over it instead of rolling underneath the tires.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

I think its an option upon right-clicking the executable, but I don't use Vista so I'm relying on what I've heard from others.

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2008, 11:06:00 am »

Ok, I figured it out. You need to have it's folder on the desktop for it to work. Thanks for the help. Except you Kagus.  :)

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

Also, Does anyone have any ways to make money? Or not die? Or both?

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

Noyel is pretty good for money. Run delivery missions to/from there... just be careful not to take missions that you don't have enough time for, or ones that want you to deliver insane objects (certain types of gravestones will be too heavy to carry anywhere, for example). As for not dying... best I can suggest is to buy the best equipment for your skills you can, and make sure to run from whatever you don't think you can take. Teleport scrolls can be a lifesaver in this regard.

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

Thanks. It took me forever to find Noyel. Also, can you be forgiven for "serious crimes", like failing a quest and "stealing" the item?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

There seem to be ways to regain karma, although it seems not very quickly - off the top of my head, if you find dead adventurers while in dungeons, you can bury them to gain 5 karma.

I saved up enough for a ranch.... And assigned a 'little girl' as the 'breeder'. Apparently the translation is more in the sense of the things doing the breeding, because I now have a lolifarm O.o I'm thinking this game would make Jack Thompson's head explode if it weren't so poorly translated. Regardless, it combines some of IVAN's material system with something approaching Harvest Moon, with a smattering of japanese pop culture references thrown in, so I've got a new favorite, assuming the english version ever becomes more than half translated.

I've found rogues, not warriors, are the easiest to play as far as combat goes. They have a nice balance of stats and useful skills in the beginning, and hit fairly hard with dual wield. The lowered death penalty at lower levels is also nice to get some good equipment - dungeon diving isn't nearly as risky as it would be in other roguelikes, where failure means permanent death, but you still seem to have a chance of losing items if you die. If you see something shiny, you're better off bringing it back right away than searching more.

[ May 11, 2008: Message edited by: Eagleon ]

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 141