Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 141

Author Topic: Elona: Roguelike.  (Read 469445 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elona: Roguelike.
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

**Send me a message if you think this post or title needs to change to reflect some new information. I have a bad memory and forget to check the topic.**

I just found this game from a post on Temple of the Roguelike. It looks very interesting; very nice graphics, politics, weather, day & night, a bunch of classes and races. However, it's Japanese and the English translation beta isn't done*; it's mostly playable, however, with a few random bits of untranslated text here and there.

(*Has been significantly improved since I wrote this. Edit: Is pretty much near perfect now, or at least plenty good enough to play.)

The original post on Temple of the Roguelike details it very well, so I'll link you there.  http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0

Main Page (English): http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html
Elona Wiki (English): http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Elona_Wiki

World Map: Taken from the Japanese Wiki. Some major towns have been given English labels. http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/5116/elonaenglishcp0.png

Wooty's Better World Map:
I made this in paint using only the brush. Because I can.
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/3803/elonaenglishcp0nc4.png
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:58:48 pm by Keiseth »

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona Roguelike
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

This game is soul-crushingly hard yet fun at the same time.

One time in an older version one of my characters started with a cloth wakizashi, I imagine he probably slapped people around with it like a towel.

He also slept with a woman and that caused her to go insane for some reason.

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

Must've been really good sex.

Or really bad sex.

Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

The English download link on the site isn't working.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

Is it a land of wealth and bounty?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »

I tried playing a peaceful farmer in ADOM, until I found out that those "plant seeds" grow into trees and that I never had enough herb seeds to start a stable pattern.

I'll give this a quick once-over to see what all it's got.  Insantiy sex does sound like an interesting feature.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

Wow, I never managed to do that. I usually die before anything fun can happen, but I'm determined to get somewhere with it.

Torak: The download is working for me. Maybe it was down for a few minutes? If it still isn't working... hm.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »

I just took a peek at the screenshots...   Hrmmm...

I'd rather have an ASCII game, but I suppose I could get used to it.  I get used to most things, eventually.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:56:00 pm »

Beware, it's very far from ASCII, although gameplay wise it's identical to a Roguelike. Just with a *lot* of glitter. Even music, but you can disable it.

Playing an Elea Wizard is driving me nuts. I'm murdering *everything* but I have no money and the three spellbooks of Magic Dart didn't give me enough "stock" to last long. When I run out of Magic Dart, I'm going to die.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>Playing an Elea Wizard is driving me nuts. I'm murdering *everything* but I have no money and the three spellbooks of Magic Dart didn't give me enough "stock" to last long. When I run out of Magic Dart, I'm going to die.</STRONG>
Your days are numbered.  
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:25:00 am »

Okay, I made a character that would be able to make some cash from playing the piano, as well as being able to charm any woman he came across.

Well, he had the same general effect as the other character when talking to people (in other words, he annoys everyone and can't say a single good thing) and he got killed twice for playing the piano.  

The Japanese messages make it really difficult to figure out what's going on...  I think I'll just leave this one alone unless there's some way to cheat yourself into invulnerability.  Also, golems apparently need to eat.  My first one died of starvation.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

The gentleman on Rogue Temple posted a very informative post, and following his advice my next character managed to get a lot of gold. Sorta. 1600 and a platinum coin. A warrior with 17 STR and 18 CON, with a claymore, can dish out serious damage.

He then sold himself as a prostitute in a bar, for 180 more gold. How amusing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 02:28:00 am »

How the hell did that happen?

Anyways, I was zipping right along in some tunnels beneath that first mining town, slaughtering "putits" quick as you like, when some slimes appeared and I was destroyed in one hit.

They really have no concept of difficulty levels in this game...  Like with playing the piano, for instance.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 04:23:00 am »

How do you get to the Temple of Doom?
Practice. Practice. Practice.
 :p
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 04:56:00 am »

Kinda reminds me of Iter Vehimis Ad Necem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 141