Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 141

Author Topic: Elona: Roguelike.  (Read 469485 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona: Roguelike.
« Reply #1695 on: November 22, 2009, 08:43:29 pm »

*sigh* Somehow I always end becoming a prostitute whenever I'm low on cash.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: November 22, 2009, 10:34:53 pm »

Whenever I'm high on cash I just go to Derphy and make love for days.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: November 23, 2009, 03:33:56 am »

Fucking disease. Now I have 1 Charisma. :(

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: November 23, 2009, 07:04:23 am »

The best: Secret treasure of the wicked

Less or no karma loss for being a douche and everything else.

Gotta do the nuke quest first... and survive the negative 40-60 karma before the guards stop attacking you....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: November 23, 2009, 08:09:51 am »

A good way to deal with high negative Karma in theory, before you're able to simply ignore it and slap the guards aside, is to stockpile wallets/briefcases and wait until you see a scroll of incognito or a disguise kit and are in possession of a rod of teleport.

Head to Derphy, teleport the guard on the stairs aside, head down, incognito/disguise, find the guy selling disguise kits (the 'fence' i believe, in the bottom right corner), buy several, stockpile them in your home.

Once you've done something terrible, take the briefcases and wallets, head to a town, disguise yourself near a guard and hand them over for the karma gain.

The above is how you can gain access to all the guild trainers too, without having to worry about going through joining any specific one until you're ready to pick one and stick with it.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: November 23, 2009, 04:45:28 pm »

If you had to choose to sleep in a blessed eastern bed or non-blessed coralwork soft bed?

Also, does anyone know what the best food preparation device is? I was told the food processor is the best, so I have this blessed bonework food processor now. It works pretty well, besides the fact that it is some sort of sacrificial bone altar for food.

Food for the Food God.
Bones for his bone range.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: November 23, 2009, 05:46:03 pm »

you could always just camp out in the wilderness buring dead bodies you come across until karma goes back up.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: November 23, 2009, 06:05:05 pm »

you could always just camp out in the wilderness buring dead bodies you come across until karma goes back up.

I did that once when I was new and I was at like -40 for screwing up some quests. Just recently I realized I could've just gone to Derphy and done quests there. They have no guards.

Now I open wallets and suitcases only when I expect to have good (More than 0) karma for a while, I.E. while I'm questing for platinum.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:08:19 pm by Morsigil »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #1703 on: November 28, 2009, 02:24:17 pm »

So, I got a Raw Shotgun
I was hungry, so I ate it.
It tasted pretty good. Should have cooked it though.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: November 28, 2009, 10:03:35 pm »

So, I got a Raw Shotgun
I was hungry, so I ate it.
It tasted pretty good. Should have cooked it though.

I don't think you can cook an equipment... but turning cursed equipments' material into raw is a good way to get rid of them when you don't have a scroll of uncurse around.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: November 28, 2009, 10:14:49 pm »

Tradanbattlan, off-topic, but wouldn't [speed:10000] make that the slowest cliff racer ever?

On topic, how do you raise a pianist to the point that you don't get killed whenever you play an instrument?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: November 28, 2009, 10:18:21 pm »

Train perform at a trainer and never perform in Vernis's pub.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: November 28, 2009, 11:22:52 pm »

Or play in your home, with your equally low level pets as the only audience; or in your ranch with low level creatures.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: November 28, 2009, 11:48:56 pm »

Or serenade monsters while your pets mob them.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: November 29, 2009, 04:16:15 pm »

TL;DR story tiem!

I have two characters.  My first one is about level 13 with the alias "Leg Bandit".  She wields a scythe, because I started as a farmer and it would be cool.  Scythes... kinda suck, really, so I'm basically the party skillmonkey - cooking, quest taking, occasional wand use, poison chucking, what have you.  My scythe's a living artifact, but it's only level two, as my pets are horrifyingly deadly and scythes are pretty awful.  I think it does 1d26 or 1d16 or something,

Also, this character's a female at like 188cm, and started at 70-something kg, and got a bunch of "your arms are all muscly" mutations.  I imagine her as a huge Amazon woman, except she is bad at killing you.

She has a little sister and a little girl (starting) for pets, both of whom have had bat genespliced into them for Greater Evasion.  The girl has good evade and armor, so she survives most fights... but she wields an artifact claymore that does 3d12+12 damage.  She kills EVERYTHING.  She also has a shield, so apparently she swings a sword around bigger than she is with one hand.  The sister isn't nearly as impressive - traded a scroll for her off some guy that visited my house, her evade is okay, but her armor rating is low, so she dies pretty easily.  She dual wields artifact knives - one does huge lightning damage on hit occasionally, I think, but the little girl is still our MVP.

My first character was a first-race-option Pianist, Maximum Finger.  I decided to make him a martial artist type (though I use guns and stuff with him, too), with a cat, so I'm pretty gimped in battle.As it happened, I eventually noticed he was like 122cm, 38 kg or something - so I started envisioning him as a guy with a twelve year old body, because a little boy with a piano strapped to his back, punching kobolds dead is AWESOME.

I didn't realize the job board was actually doable at low levels - that there were delivery quests and stuff, that is.  So I spent all of my first so-many levels around Vernis and the puppy cave.  I threw myself into the slime basement a bunch of times until I got sick of getting killed my slimes, and then I spent all my time in the puppy cave.

Eventually, some cursed equipment teleported me into the end room of the slime basement.  I dropped my piano there, and wasn't able to reclaim it until much later.  A pianist without a piano, how disgraceful.

So like I said, I didn't know the job board had, like "deliver [item] to [city]" stuff, so I ended up with nearly NO money left - not even enough to buy a meal at the inn.  The fruit trees I'd been living off had all gone bare, so I decided that since the ONLY thing I could really do was wait until I starved to death, I'd throw myself into the robber den and kill them all through sheer attrition.  I'd use my bow if they weren't in punching range, and punch if they were.  Eventually I managed to kill all of them, through maybe 20-ish deaths... and I got my cooler box, which I'm pretty sure I promptly dropped in the Puppy Cave and lost forever.

Eventually I got a couple sidekicks - a Noyel horse, and a Gunner from Derphy.   IIRC, they're able to hold their own passably well to go down in the puppy cave, but not enough to clear out dungeons or take on any quests that need me to kill things.

I've pretty much retired him.  He was level 10.  I think the biggest purchase I could afford with him was a blessed small cottage, but that's a pretty decent step up from "penniless starving homeless boy around Vernis whose cat hates him".

...Oh yeah, we were talking about perform skill, right?  I haven't really used it with either of my characters, even my pianist.  I guess that's understandable, since he lost his piano for so long, no?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:18:54 pm by Farce »
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 141