Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cthulhu has been struck down.  (Read 6581 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Cthulhu has been struck down.
« on: April 29, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

By AWESOMENESS!!!

They announced when they're releasing the Creature Editor for Spore:  June 17th!

That's... 49 days!!!

Of course, EA has to screw it up with their corporate greed.  There's a DEMO OF THE CREATURE CREATOR.  WTF.  It only contains 25% of the creature parts, the full version is TEN DOLLARS.  Why would I get the full version when I can just get it in September when the game comes out?

Money-grubbing EA is money-grubbing.

[ April 29, 2008: Message edited by: Cthulhu ]

Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu has been struck down.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

EA plus something good can only result in tears. EA is the aqua regia of the games industry.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

There's another thing about this, which is only a rumor, so I have no substantiated evidence to prove it, but it seems that

in addition to

A) EA being a business (which to most people seems like they're money-grubbin bastards)

that

B) The creatures in the June creature editor, will be uploaded to the servers. Thus, when people get their games in September, the first creatures their game will pick up, will be the creatures made in June. It would also be reasonable to think that creatures made with the '10 dollar' version, will get spread further because

1) More parts, which means they have a higher chance of being needed
and
2) EA are money-grubbin bastards, so it would explain why they would sell it for 10 dollars.

Kayla

Edit: And with the addition of the SporePedia, the 'card game' within the game, that tracks all the creatures you've seen, it would also likely track the popularity of said creature. Thus, some people who will undoubtedly be playing to make the most popular creature, will have an advantage by getting the June version as well as the full game.

[ April 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla:
<STRONG>There's another thing about this, which is only a rumor, so I have no substantiated evidence to prove it, but it seems that...
(main post here)
[ April 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kayla ]</STRONG>

Oooh that +rumor+ is shiny. I must gather it from the greedy dwarves and put it in my cave.

A kobold theif has stolen a +rumor+!

Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

I wonder if you made an anatomically correct human with the creature creator, the procedure animation would produce convincing results for locomotion.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

Depends on how "anatomically correct" we're talking here.  You may end up with a leg you weren't planning on using as such.

That would be something to see.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 01:32:00 am »

Such a species would be feared on any planet they find themselves on.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

You do know that it's going to come with a coupon for ten bucks off the full game, yes? Or so I've heard. It makes sense, though.

Oh, and get ready for the penis-monsters. HORDES OF THEM.

I'll be making Dwarf Fortress elephants, myself. Maybe carpmen.

OOH, OOH. CARPMEN RIDING ELEPHANTS.

[ May 04, 2008: Message edited by: Tyrving ]

[ May 04, 2008: Message edited by: Tyrving ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »

I'll probably torrent it anyways. So will anyone else that doesn't want to feed EA unneeded money.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

I know. I am buying it. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAharharhahrharhackhackhack *die*

And the people who buy the CC get a discount on the game. Check Xspore.com.

[ May 04, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 11:05:00 pm »

Yeah, those stupid companies all want your money!  The nerve of them, expecting reasonable compensation for the work of hundreds of programmers and artists and designers.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

Not exactly hundreds...

But in any case, there are some companies that really deserve every cent they get, and others that don't deserve half of what they're asking.  I would have to say that EA falls into that second category.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 12:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Yeah, those stupid companies all want your money!  The nerve of them, expecting reasonable compensation for the work of hundreds of programmers and artists and designers.</STRONG>

I implore you to read this and reconsider your standing.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 12:56:00 am »

You see?  All that money that they shelled out in the lawsuits against them for overworking their employees without compensation?  It had to come from somewhere!  Let's buy a few more of their games so they can manage to make it through the next few lawsuits.

Bullfrog, BioWare...   Poor saps.  They're the ones that could've used more money.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

the honorable thing to do would be to give back some of the franchises to their appropriate owners,like that's ever gonna happen...
Pages: [1] 2 3