Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: dead space  (Read 4333 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: dead space
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 01:42:26 pm »

oh, there is plenty of continual repulsive presence in dead space

the entire atmosphere on the ship is just unnerving.

I really liked this one area where there is at first these extremely loud machines, and this fan that made the light flicker like hell. I knew exactly, if anything was coming for me, I would not notice it, but hell, the entire area was devoid of enemy presence.

similarly to that was this one unit where this flesh stuff grew over the walls, and they would continualy make these horrible wet noises, and move and pulsate, and I only wanted to get out of there as fast as possible, but hey, not a single enemy in there
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 01:47:22 pm »

Thanks Soulwynd, and Akroma!  I actually saw Yahtzee's review (and the antithesis of it, the Penny Arcade guys who sold it as fantastic) which moved it from my "must buy" to my "watch for a while" list.  I'll probably end up getting it... maybe see if the folks will pick it up for me for a Christmas. 

I think the real problem is there are actually too many good games out now.  Fallout 3, Dead Space, Gears of War 2 (sort of), Far Cry 2... for once, I actually have to be responsible because I'll go broke buying everything I want. 

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 02:06:14 pm »

I had exactly the same problem Heavy Flak

but I went with dead space, and I am damn happy about it.
well, my ass is not happy about it, because this game makes me shit bricks, but with those I will be able to build houses for the homeless
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 03:16:36 pm »

Don't get me wrong, it's worth buying and playing once, but if you have a more critical view of things you will notice the flaws yahtsee pointed at.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 03:56:16 pm »

you are never going to enjoy games if you play it and look for flaws
this is why I will not watch yahtzee before I finished it, or any other review for that matter, or gameplay vids

I play the game, get supised by stuff because I did not know they were coming and hey, it's really fun and really scary, so yeah, there you have it

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 04:00:14 pm »

I have Dead Space, and I really quite like it so far. I'm ... 7? chapters in. I was skeptical at first; I thought initially that it would be too much like Doom 3, which I dislike rather strongly. But I was pleasantly surprised. I doesn't have me so scared so badly that I feel like quitting (Like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did in those underground segments), but several times so far I yelped out loud, and I find myself acting very cautious. The weapons are unbalanced, yes. But, if you didn't know, you mostly receive ammo for the weapons you are carrying ... meaning, carry one or two, have tonnes of ammo but limited options for whatever threat you might face. Carry four, the max, be constantly scrounging. I carry four, and I'm constantly having to switch to my ripper, which uses ammo  conservatively, but is a beast to control when fighting multiple critters.

As others have said, the game oozes atmosphere, sometimes in a System Shock 2-esque way. You find audio and video logs of long dead crew members, and sometimes you can hear disembodied voices. The scrawlings of madmen can be found on walls everywhere. (Incidentally, did anyone else see the alien alphabet translation? I saw it, but felt too tired and antsy to write it down.) You can hear your characters heart beat speed up and slow down after you fight and defeat an enemy. And I ADORE the lack of a HUD. It is very slick, and really helps you feel like Isaac in a derelict spaceship and not some chubby nerd in his comfy chair. I hope other developers try this sort of thing in the future.

And the music. FUCK the music. Glissandi harmonics in violins is not pretty.

There are flaws, but this game well makes up for them with polish and design. Well worth a purchase, and I plan on playing through at least twice.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 04:23:14 pm »

General rules of the thumb:
If it has claws, it's not dead untill you personaly saw it die.
If the music starts playing while you look at a pillar or a corpse, ready your weapon.
If you hear a vent break, or something fall from great height, pull out the line gun and turn arround.

Enemies and strategies to kill them:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't completed chapter 9 yet so there may be a few enemies i missed but this should keep you going for the first three quarters of the game.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 05:09:06 pm »

you are never going to enjoy games if you play it and look for flaws
this is why I will not watch yahtzee before I finished it, or any other review for that matter, or gameplay vids

I play the game, get supised by stuff because I did not know they were coming and hey, it's really fun and really scary, so yeah, there you have it
Sure you will. I enjoy DF, X-Com, Arcanum, Fallout, and quite a few others.

I still don't find it scary, I think it makes me more nervous than anything else, gives a small rush of adrenaline and despise being repetitive with the scenario being very very typically bland for its theme, it's still fun to play at least once.

I know I am very critical of games, mostly because what I look in them is lasting fun. I mainly characterize games within 3 classes; Play 1 hour then delete, play it all the way through once then delete, and finally keeper.

Dead Space falls in the "play all the way through once" games for me. Which is saying a lot. It's a good game but it has annoying things going on and no replayability.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 05:19:26 pm »

Asehujiko

you forgot that:

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 03:42:55 am »

I did mention them, look below the entry about tentacle heads. Anyway, i'm going to play chapter 9 now and see if there's any more enemy types.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 06:44:01 am »

Update: At the start of chapter 12 and the game took a turn for the worse during chapter 10.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 07:29:12 am »

It was suprisingly good to have come out of the dungpile called EA.
Never lost interest during my playthrough though it was only creepy at most for the first few enemies untill i figured out that the soundtrack changes as soon an enemy appears.
By then i stopped looking around every corner and just ran straight ahead till i heard the change and thought "oh, another one"
The plot progress is too similar to system shock 2 but that might have been a reason why i liked it.
Though its hard to get scared, startled at most, from it when theres enemies everywhere, you get numb to any sudden appearances due to she sheer quantity.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2008, 08:17:33 am »

So i finished it now and the boss+ending was a major letdown.

Atmosphere - For a few minutes.
Gameplay - Average but repetative.
Story - Falls completely flat on it's face.

The only scary segments are the first 2-3 jumpers, the regenerator and well, the regenerator part deux.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

admitetly, the regenerator is absolutely the most scary thing this game has to offer (especially when you play it in dwarf-mode and say no to overpowered weapons)

I am a bit stuck in level 7, where I have to plant this radio transmitter thing on the asteroid

god damn I hate these rotating things, they just keep tearing me into thousand different parts

which reminds me, Isaac seems to be made of papermache. I know, looking at how many wounds he is receiving, him dying is perfectly reasonable, but does he always have to be cut through straight in half by just a single swing of these not so muscular looking arms ?

not to mention, all other body parts go flying as well. It's like arrows in DF

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2008, 12:25:25 pm »

Akroma
jump onto the rock and go outside and plant the beacon

Asehujiko
Pages: 1 [2] 3