Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Free To Play  (Read 11693 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Free To Play
« on: May 02, 2008, 06:28:00 am »

I thought I might share a discourse on a certain business model many of us are familiar with. You know, the free-to-play game? Think any Korean multiplayer game and you're quite close.

I've never been a big fan of this model, and I'll illustrate this below. Even as an astutely cruel being of business-nature myself, I still find this system incredibly cruel and inhumane.

Basically, a free-to-play model is just that, a free to play game. The key word is in "play". It is, for all reasons and purposes, free to "play"... usually. However, the clincher is that you usually need to pay microtransactions to get stand a chance in the environment, which is usually hypercompetitive by nature. For example, one might need to pay $1 to get a larger exp gain for one day, and $1 for a chance to get rare items, and $0.50 for teleportation back to a city, etc. etc. etc.

The thing is that these free-to-play games tend to always stray away from the essential nature that forms games; the concept of fun. It usually always turns into a mess of grinding or obscure "playing" in the form that it would be inherently impossible without some miraculous force of will to continue without engaging in the microtransactions. Even then, one would need to engage in more and more of these microtransactions until the cost of playing the game, be it time or money, greatly exceeds the opportunity cost had you merely played a subscription-based MMO in the first place.

Here's a cute story though:
I used to play this MUD several years back called Imperian, a member of the Iron Realms series of games. A MUD is basically an MMORPG that only has text. So, you get incredible detail in text, but in the end, it's all text. Not that that's a bad thing. I thought it was incredible in the beginning. So much depth for a world controlled solely by players. Everything was run by players, governments, shops, the economy. So there I was, a young lad who just encountered a nice free-to-play MUD. I got caught up in all the new formalities (many of which stick with me today, such as never typing lowercase "i") that come from a extreme-roleplaying heavy game. The real world doesn't exist in Imperian, it is only mentioned as an "external distraction". I'm not joking.

I spent a year or so leveling and engaging in roleplay with my socially-inept bard who spent a lot of time drinking himself to death while butchering orcs with painful song and annoying other players to sell him blade toxins to coat his mandolin with. But after all that time, I noticed that it was taking forever for me to level and that the super players were all that, super players. I couldn't do anything competitive and remained that useless whelp as long as I could remember.

Then I learned the gritty truth of the world of Imperian:
1. Nobody truly controlled anything. The moderators dictated if anything could happen. Wars couldn't be won and the balance of power was always the same. Even if somebody managed to overthrow a king, that king would be put back in place "by the Gods" in half-an-hour and the person who overthrew him would be banned.
2. It was impossible to become any sort of important character unless you purchased in-game currency called credits. Credits could either be bought with external distraction money or in-game gold. In my time, each credit would cost around 3000 gold, more or less depending on the current trading values. Credits would then be used to buy levels, get skills, and the like. Without credits, it would take years to get anywhere. Credits were also extremely expensive, and powerful characters would take thousands of dollars to fund.
3. Combat in the game, though advertised as realistic and in-depth compared to a simple "attack goblin with hammer", boiled down to who could program the best macro to counter all combats. Essentially, anyone without a macro couldn't survive even killing normal creeps. High level PVP was about as realistic and in-depth as pushing a keystroke and letting the program kill your enemy for you.
4. The players really did believe that the world of Imperian was a real world.

That's when I started hating it. It was hard to leave because so much time was already invested into it, and if I left, no one would remember me. That sucked. Then one of my friends who I quested often with told me how he discovered a bug that got us unlimited gold. We looked at it, examined it, experimented, and soon... we were wallowing in trillions of gold.

Heh. Heh. Heh. Heh. Heh. Thus began the greatest few days of my entire time of the year or so I spent in the game. Here's what happened:
1. The in-game credit market skyrocketed thanks to us. It went from an average of 3000 gold per credit to 15000 per credit and rising. Every single credit that appeared on market, we would buy instantly, regardless of price.
2. Using the hordes of credits we accumulated, we turned our characters into gods. We were the most powerful characters in the game by far. Nothing could harm us. We could point our fingers at others and they would literally explode.
3. My friend was a more lenient guy, using his ill gotten gains to finance his leveling and creep-killing career. Whereas I would sponsor contests with prizes of millions of dollars for whoever could kill whoever. Inflation was rampant, the whole world went chaotic to the march of us.

It was the time of our lives in the game. People worshiped the ground we walked on. We were immortal. We were ultimate. We were beyond-moderator. Rookies were lining up to attempt to be accepted as our disciples. All the oldbies who had invested thousands of dollars were now fumbling before our feet. Then we got perma-banned. Oh well.

I guess the moral of the story is that free-to-play games are usually something along the lines of an internet pyramid scam. But if you find a way to fight the system, embrace it and love the overwhelming power.

Good article concerning an extreme case of free-to-play microtransactions and scams: http://www.danwei.org/electronic_games/gambling_your_life_away_in_zt.php

[ May 02, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Free To Play
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 06:47:00 am »

Brilliant!  I commend you good sir, for you have done what I dream of doing!

I had hoped I'd found something to grant a person unlimited sausages in Illarion, but such was not the case.  I had instead found a way of transforming twenty or so half-finished sausages into one complete sausage.  I do not recommend it.

It's bad enough when you have the overbearing weight of gold (or rather, the lack of it) hanging over your character, but it's entirely another when the moderators insist on complete, immersive roleplaying at all times.  Particularly when the game in question is so full of unrealistic bugs and oddities that it cannot be taken in complete seriousness...

Nice touch with the poisoned mandolin, by the way.

I believe the correct term for such programs is "crippleware".  As in, you can play the crippled version for free, or the big strong one if you shell out.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 06:49:00 am »

quote:
Combat in the game, though advertised as realistic and in-depth  boiled down to who could program the best macro to counter all combats.

This is why I quit Achaea.

That's pretty epic though, what was the bug?

EDIT:  ZT is messed up, I read that article a few months ago.  It reminded me of when I was researching Scientology.

[ May 02, 2008: Message edited by: Cthulhu ]

Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:22:00 am »

There are good, completely free MU*s out there.  I spent a lot of time on a really awesome MUCK- pure roleplaying, no creeps, a simple rolling system for magic, other combat resolved by consent or staff judges in the rare case of dispute.  There were basic stats- mostly used as a conflict resolution guideline, but occasionally by the system, which was cleverly balanced.  Character advancement was very slow and only as a reward for good roleplaying.  Similar promises to the MUD- the opportunity to shape the world and make massive changes with enough work- except they were actually delivered upon.  I built an area which as far as I know is still there, for example.

The people were the most awesome thing, though- there were some brilliant characters out there.  Including, at various times, a Disney princess (not a pre-existing character, but an original smart pretty magical girl around whom others tended to spontaneously break into song and dance routines), evil vampire unicorns and mind-bending tentacle-cat-things, loony magic-item-creators, a sentient collective composed of flesh-eating moths, and a full cast of elves, humans, paladins, ghosts, mutants, robots, anthropomorphs et al.  One of mine was a twisted, monstrous, hulking amalgamation of flesh, bone and chitin- which happened to also have a very urbane and cultured voice and extremely good manners.

I miss that game.  At some point I will find the time to start playing again.

[ May 02, 2008: Message edited by: McDoomhammer ]

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

Heh heh, I was expecting someone to come in telling me what I did was ruin the game for everyone else and I deserved to be banned. Damn... my argument was all prepared too...

Anyway, the bug was this very obscure quest that was nearly impossible to locate unless you were actively searching for it. Basically, you had to be in this dream world (I think) and you needed to locate this item and bring it to another guy and he'd give you 200 gold. The thing was that the quest would reset instantly and that it was possible to take the guy to the item and repeatedly hand him the constantly respawning item for unlimited gold.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

quote:
 The players really did believe that the world of Imperian was a real world.

Elaborate, pl0x.

Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

You broke the Iron Realms credit scheme? You are awesome.

I used to play Achaea, enjoyed it for a time too. However, it really is devious. You start a novice character, and people actually train you in skills for a while. After you complete all of the newbie-things to get you on your feet, ready to explore this new world that promises no grinding, and no killing monsters for no reason, politics and...

...and then they tell you that there's a place for good characters to kill bad monsters and a place for bad characters to kill good monsters, right next to each other. Then you finish doing THAT, and you move onto the next place...

So by now you're quite bored of the whole affair, and you're told of a way to buy credits to improve your skills. The inflation in Achaea was so bad that trying to buy credits with gold was laughable. I kept playing for a while because I enjoyed the company of a few other nice players, but we all got sick of the lunacy around the same time, I think.

Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

Reminds me a BIT of Ogame(if you don't know, www.ogame.org)  a mostly free game with a few purchaseable features bought with a special resource that is easy to gain by funding them but can be gained in-game.

[ May 02, 2008: Message edited by: qwertyuiopas ]

Eh?
Eh!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

Wow, that article you linked to, Umiman, is disturbing. I can't believe games have become like that.

It said you needed about 5000 yuan on average to hit the highest level, and more occasionally for new equipment: that's about $715 according to Google. Yikes.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

That's less than Iron Realms though. Iron Realms is just more subtle about it.

Here's the price of credits in Imperian: http://www.imperian.com/credits.php

Here are some artifact prices: http://www.imperian.com/irex/helpview/help.php?id=489

We haven't even gone into prices to level, prices to learn skills, prices to get land, etc.

Basically, we're talking about a thousand dollars or so to get a good character. A few thousand for a maxed out character. More for a godlike character.

A good comparison time wise would be around... 6 hours for 3 credits? That's how long it takes to get the equivalent amount of gold and experience.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

Wow.

I've gotta hand it to you, Umiman: you choked the system in the throat, and at least for a little while, it gave in to pain and fell over. Bravo!

I wonder: could there be any lasting reprecussions(i.e., economy) within the game from your little escapade? Obviously, the game isn't FUBAR, but it would be cool to see how badly you screwed it up.

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

That's insane, a doomforge longsword for 450 dollars?
Shoes...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »

Umiman, that's so awesome. I would love to read a more elaborate writeup on what you did with that.

I play one MUD that uses money investments, but it really is very playable without them. (Ooo, $25 will get me 10% more critical hits, scary.  Nice, but totally non-vital, and there's limited PvP.)  I also play on a MUSH where...well, how would real money even work in that, anyway?

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

A more elaborate writeup? Haha, I can't imagine one. Just think of what you would do when you're a power-tripping god in a game. I sponsored FFA contests in the world where combat between factions and clans was taken very seriously. Friends started backstabbing one another to get the million gold prizes. Citizens from cities started killing their own countrymen. There was really nothing I couldn't do during that time. All the high tier royalty suddenly found themselves swarmed by crazed, greedy lunatics as I placed unofficial bounties on anyone and everyone. It was a really short period of time, but it was awesome!

Impending Doom: I believe the credit market is still stupidly high, but it was probably only accelerated by the escapade... was probably inevitable.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

since we're on the topic of muds can anyone suggest a mud with a pure player driven economy?  No shop spawns.  The only goods are the goods that players harvest and craft.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne
Pages: [1] 2 3 4