Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Wurm Online!  (Read 13291 times)

Elshar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheekan.org
Wurm Online!
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:12:00 am »

Hey, any of you guys playing this one? It's a pretty fun mmo survival type game. My wife and I have put together a small homestead near a town called Aegis which is West of the starting town (NewTown). We're getting ready to move out into the wilderness far to the south of NT.

I'm suprised noone's mentioned it on the forums. If any of you play on Home and wanna get together, lemme know. I'll even be willing to help you get started and stuff  :)

arr!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Wurm Online!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:35:00 am »

Does this game have a website?

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:43:00 am »

I assume you mean http://www.wurmonline.com/

It looks interesting indeed! I shall try it at my next opportunity.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 02:48:00 am »

Bleh, I'd try it, but I'm too much of a cheapass to pay for the subscription.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:44:00 am »

It's free, though.   Paid accounts just let you play better.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 09:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>It's free, though.   Paid accounts just let you play better.</STRONG>

Please explain. "Play better?" That means that if I'm bad at playing the free account, I can pay and I'll be better at it?

And I don't usually enjoy "free" games that give people with money an advantage. I may try it, though. The one time I tried, I had dialup. Was not an enjoyable experience.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

What he means is, you need to pay to be able to access some features.

Like being able deconstruct a paved road, for example. I never, never could understand this. Trial accounts can lay them. Yet they can't remove them. Doesn't make a bit of sense.

And yeah, skills are capped at 20 with the trial. Paying removes this cap, so you make better items and work faster with enough training.

Though to be honest, the basic account isn't all that limiting. Once you get most of your skills to cap, things go fairly smoothly. 20 is a pretty large cap. It's a lot more fun with friends. Mining is definitely not fun if you're alone.

Elshar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheekan.org
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

Yea. If you can make 10 silver in-game there's players who buy silver for game-time. You give them silver, and they pay for one month for you. So you don't really need to pay anything. And with 20 skill, you can make 10 silver with enough patience.

Just make pottery or iron bowls to sell to the npc trader, or fill standing orders towns have for various goods, ie right now Rockcliff is paying 1s for 100 iron rivets which are easy to make..

arr!

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:05:00 pm »

Ah... That could work quite well... I might give it a try after all.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »

What th...OOOOH!  MMO Survival!  God I love that genre.  I wasn't quite happy with ATITD and I thought I'd have to wait for the Seventh Son MMO to get what I was after!  I think I'll give this a shot after work.

Of course, I'm sure I won't have time to play it much.  :/

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:09:00 pm »

By reading the Wurm wiki, it seems that it would have a steep learning curve. Once you get into the game, you find out how simple it actually is. Want to mine into the mountain side? "Activate" your pick (double click on it). Right click the rock you want to mine and go to the mine option.

It runs pretty good on my machine now that I've worked the kinks out (read: all settings on low and an updated JRE). I take back my previous comment. This should hold me over at least until the next DF version is released.

Quick question, though. How is taking stuff from a refuse barrel in NewTown stealing? I thought I'd rummage through the rubbish and see what people threw away. From a new player's perspective, it all looks nice. The take option was replaced with steal, though, so I didn't do it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »

Okay, I downloaded it but it's running painfully slowly.  How do I change settings?  I can't seem to locate a menu or anything...

We should start a DF village or something.  :)

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 12:04:00 am »

I still have the client but i dont play because i didntlikeh having to wait weeks for things or the feel of it.

I didnt like the skills system, I didnt like the game much at all...

thats probably because i had like one freind the entire time and did not join a city.

It just seems like your first year of playing is either gathering or Stat building, as it took me a hour to make a few copper.

BUT if we do make a df village i would help, i seemed to like making complex things like houses or wagons. ( i made my own wagon..... then forgot i had to store it somewhere, thankfully a freind stored it for me)

So was the game not fun because i didnt play with other people?

Edit:i may as well try again, elshar if you want i can help you with resources if you can help me get myself going (i have food under control, someone was nice enough to give me a fishing rod)

[ October 24, 2007: Message edited by: Pitchblack ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 11:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>Okay, I downloaded it but it's running painfully slowly.  How do I change settings?  I can't seem to locate a menu or anything...

We should start a DF village or something.     :)</STRONG>

Start the client. Before logging in, look below the login fields. There's a button labeled "Options."

After playing for a bit, I came up with what (I think) may be a great idea. Don't just do a normal, everyday village. Mine out a dwarf fortress! There are no dwarves, though. Not sure how that would work out.

[ October 24, 2007: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

I still haven't tried this out, but I'd enjoy trying to be self-sufficient with other DF players and little outside help.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6