Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Wurm Online!  (Read 13306 times)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Wurm Online!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »

This looks cool, I check it out today. Let's make a mountainhome!
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »

I think I'll get frustrated by this game on my own, but if we can make a DF village I will definitely join in.  When I tried yesterday it was dark and raining so I didn't get a good vibe from it, but I will try again soon.  My character's name is Sappho, of course, and if any of you guys come on, try to get in touch with me and we'll get ourselves organized!

Also, I've found an interesting survival-based game on Byond called Archipelago.  It's actually rather enjoyable if you can block out the spelling and grammar errors.  If anyone wants to give that one a try let me know and we can start a DF tribe as well.

[ October 24, 2007: Message edited by: Sappho ]

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

We all need a way to contact eac other than this forum, we need a mass used program such as msn or xfire, of wich i have both.
Yim
Aim
and steam community are both good options but we would need to see who is iwlling to use what.

as for organizing i have a inactive character that can feed all of us in the begining for some time. as my character has fishing.

zac4213

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 07:04:00 pm »

A DF Village would be pretty awesome, i'd love to help make it (despite the fact that i'm a newb to wurm online). My x-fire is zac4213

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by zac4213:
<STRONG>A DF Village would be pretty awesome, i'd love to help make it (despite the fact that i'm a newb to wurm online). My x-fire is zac4213</STRONG>

Hi, Hellkor...

Sorry, couldn't resist. As of the time of this posting, I'm in the tunnels somewhere in the vicinity of you and Sappho. I spoke, but I believe I'm too far away to be heard.

For all of the new people, there is free food and drink in a bistro in Newtown.

[ October 24, 2007: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 07:46:00 pm »

My ICQ and AIM are in my profile.  I'll start downloading the thing amd hop on when I get home, in...uh...two and a half hours. *sigh*
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 07:15:00 am »

Perhaps instead of using instant messaging programs that not everyone has or uses or wants to have or use, we could get one of those Chatzy rooms like we did for the tabletop campaign?

In fact, how about this one: http://www.chatzy.com/919414774697

The password is quarry.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

Good idea Sappho.  I just started playing as well.  It's just like Cantr II, but with graphics!  Totally awesome stuff!

Hey, I'm in on the idea of starting a settlement/dwarf fortress with you guys.  I just started on the Home server.

I have a suggestion though.  Would it be better to start our fortress on the Wild Server?  I think the Home server is good for newbies because of the restricted PK rules, but considering the fact that we are going to band together to create a settlement as a group (we'll watch each other's backs), I think we would have much more freedom on the Wild Server.  Also, if we got into a fight or a war on the Wild, we wouldn't have GM's babysitting us or punishing us for our inevitable superiority      ;)  We would be able to raid enemy villages and expand our borders at will.

What do you all think?

Edit: By the way, my character name is 'Luram' on Home Server.

[ October 25, 2007: Message edited by: lumin ]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 11:16:00 am »

I'm generally wary of PK servers because of the inevitable jerks who sit outside the safe zones and kill newbies instead of going out into the world and finding a girlfriend.  Does anyone know if this is a problem on Wurm?  If not, then I suppose I'm in for the wild server.  Whichever we choose, really, I'm in - this will be fun.

Assuming, of course, that the new version of DF doesn't come out too soon, at which point I'm fairly certain most of us won't be doing much of anything else for a long time.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

It seems like everywhere you go is already colonized. I went to a mountain about five-hundred miles away from the starting town, nearly starved to death before I found some guy's cottage-in-progress and ate some of his stash, and then got killed by a spider.

This game is damn addicting. I can't wait for Adventure Mode to have crafting and mining and such available. Till then this is a decent substitute, even though everyone looks like Johnathan Frakes.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »

I said it in the DF MMO thread, i'll say it here.
Wurm Online is RuneScape with a more interactive environment.

Also, crippleware. Software which has been intentionally crippled via the removal of features to be provided as a non-functional demonstration ... Basically, level 100 is the level cap, and non-premium gets stuck with a "you can't do X, Y, Z" cap of 20.

Of course i've played the game ... For 2 hours before i realised that it was damn-near impossible to do a damn thing by myself.

1. All the good forges are walled off
2. Sign posts are very very rare and ironically, very very needed in New Town.
3. Failure rates are damn abysmal. How anyone can fail to put a round pole into a round hole is a F mystery to me. Same goes for combat; it's a freakin rat! STEP ON IT FFS!

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Same goes for combat; it's a freakin rat! STEP ON IT FFS!</STRONG>

Yes, but it's a LARGE freakin rat. You step on it and it eats your leg.

It doesn't look like you looked very hard. I find forges easy to find. Gold on the other hand... Some guy dug one square into the mountainside, found gold, and walled it off. I'll go back and see if it's a settlement. If not? What's a little wall destruction between friends?

Also, premium and basic accounts start at the same level. They're the same in every respect besides the skill cap and not being able to remove certain items. It takes ages to get to the cap the way I've been playing. Granted, the price seems a bit steep. What is it, $15-20 USD for a month? 10 Euros, however much that is.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

Well, I blame the US dollar going all to hell.

Like last year when the ABB community tried this, I'm fairly sure the US dollar was worth like 1.5 Euros, making the game incredibly cheap... around 5-6 bucks per premium month.

Then something happened and now the USD is worth .7 Euros.

Unless I'm mistaken and the USD has always been worth less than a Euro.

Anyway, back on topic, combat does suck. The miss rate is atrocious and even if you hit you're probably only going to bruise whatever you're aiming at.
Miss rate should be far, far, far less. Give a random joe a pointy object and tell him to kill something that wants him dead and you can bet he's gonna try not to miss fifty times in a row.
Killing something takes forever since both parties just miss forever. Combat should be more streamlined.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »

As far as I've seen, killing isn't really the point >.> There aren't even combat animations. Sure you can do it, but it's much more fun to work with a group of people towards building a house or something.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 07:54:00 pm »

Wow, thanks for mentioning this game; I've been looking for a something like this for a while. Once I get the hang of it, we have to start a DF village or clan or whatever!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6