Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Wurm Online!  (Read 13320 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wurm Online!
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LSTAR:
<STRONG>I've been playing Wurm for nearly a week now and WOW! I'm loving it! In just two days I've racked up nearly 12 hours of gaming time...</STRONG>

Heh, my newblight ran out after less than two days. It's an addicting game, especially if you have a group of friends to play with.

Irrod here, by the way. Need some help or directions, just holler.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »

Blah. Set everything to "Medium", 800x600 and I was playing at, usually, less then 5FPS from the looks of it. Old computer. 1.4ghz P4, 512mB SDRam PC133, GeForce FX 5500oc.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2007, 11:44:00 am »

Speeds up quite a bit once you leave newtown, But really any large set of buildings will slow yer FPS, I keep my settings at low to minimum personally.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2007, 08:51:00 pm »

May I present, Uvellakish "Bearback", a Dwarven Settlement!

It's only a size 5 homestead at the moment, with me as the sole citizen. This just prevents people from claiming the town. Once (or if) we make some good money we can upgrade it to an actual village, and all become citizens. Good times!

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2007, 10:03:00 am »

Looks like a horrible game to be honest.   :D
You can build stuff, but the combat looks like utter crap.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2007, 10:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>Looks like a horrible game to be honest.    :D
You can build stuff, but the combat looks like utter crap.</STRONG>

Since when has looks mattered here? There may not be many character animations, but that doesn't matter. What does is the gameplay.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2007, 11:21:00 am »

I'd liken the combat to DF combat. It's pretty abstract, but the game does inform you where the hits are landing, and weapons and shields matter. ("The Young Deer bites you hard in the left upper arm.") It's not quite as detailed and bloody, but pretty satisfying to me. Also, part of the fun is trying to make and improve your armor and weapons. Not buy better gear, but actually improve your stuff at a forge.

I'm a healer, not a fighter, but seeing a Young Huge Spider on the road ahead scares me pretty bad. 'Specially at night when they're hard to see!

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."

Elshar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheekan.org
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

Hey guys, we should work on mining a ton of rock shards to start repairing the buildings before parts of them decay. You'll need a mining pick to mine the shards, and a stone chisel to turn them into bricks.
arr!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Elshar:
<STRONG>Hey guys, we should work on mining a ton of rock shards to start repairing the buildings before parts of them decay. You'll need a mining pick to mine the shards, and a stone chisel to turn them into bricks.</STRONG>

Part of it's already done. If you walk to the right inside our mine, there's two huge piles of rock (hey, just like in DF).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto:
<STRONG>

Since when has looks mattered here? There may not be many character animations, but that doesn't matter. What does is the gameplay.</STRONG>

Nop, you misunderstood me. What I meant is: the combat system is what looks crap. I dont care about graphics.

Anyways, can you tell me in a few words that what is the point in this MMORPG?
People are building towns I know that...but what else? Also why is that good if you have a house or town? You probably wont stay in your house 5 hours / day, just because it looks cool.
Are there any strategical features? You can build towns, other people or guilds can capture them?

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>

Nop, you misunderstood me. What I meant is: the combat system is what looks crap. I dont care about graphics.

Anyways, can you tell me in a few words that what is the point in this MMORPG?
People are building towns I know that...but what else? Also why is that good if you have a house or town? You probably wont stay in your house 5 hours / day, just because it looks cool.
Are there any strategical features? You can build towns, other people or guilds can capture them?

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]</STRONG>

I'm not sure that there is a point. I and the others on Home log on and practice our skills while chatting with each other. Owning a town is good because it keeps others from stealing your stuff if it's built correctly. If you were to go to the Wild server, there is the possibility of confrontations with other players. From what I've read, they can destroy your buildings and generally make life difficult. It's not something that can be explained as to why it's fun. It just is. If anyone has heard of ProgressQuest, you know what I'm talking about.

Edit: home->Home

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2007, 06:13:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

I'm not sure that there is a point. I and the others on Home log on and practice our skills while chatting with each other. Owning a town is good because it keeps others from stealing your stuff if it's built correctly. If you were to go to the Wild server, there is the possibility of confrontations with other players. From what I've read, they can destroy your buildings and generally make life difficult. It's not something that can be explained as to why it's fun. It just is. If anyone has heard of ProgressQuest, you know what I'm talking about.

Edit: home->Home

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Mephisto ]</STRONG>

Well to be honest, this already sounds better than WoW.
  :D
I used to play WoW, but that game is so dull and boring after a period, that I cant even describe it with words.
I was unable to find any interesting MMORPGs.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Elshar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheekan.org
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>
If anyone has heard of ProgressQuest, you know what I'm talking about.
</STRONG>

That's funny that you mention it, because we were talking about PQ earlier while building a new house in the town  :)

arr!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Elshar:
<STRONG>

That's funny that you mention it, because we were talking about PQ earlier while building a new house in the town   :)</STRONG>

Yes, I have it installed on my computer but forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

The point is to increase your skills and improve your gear, so you can make more cool stuff and kill more baddies. The other point is working together to accomplish goals. The other other point is exploring the world, because it's beautiful. And on Wild server, another point is furthering the war effort.

For instance, right now the group is working on rebuilding an amazing settlement (originally made by SA goons some time back). Personally I'm working on healing, gathering, farming, and metalsmithing skills, while others are working on whatever they like and needs doing. Some are into cooking, some weaponsmithing and fighting, some mining and carpentry. Then there's personal challenges you can set for yourself, like Sappho who is determined to be the first to the peak of the tallest mountain in the land. Eventually we may move on and build our own site, maybe at the top of that mountain! Of course you may choose to go it alone, too, which makes it more challenging to complete big projects, but potentially more satisfying if you manage it.

Basically it's very fun and rewarding to make and do things that help you and the group. Every "quest" is dictated by the actual needs of the group, or is something that helps you reach your goals, so everything you do is meaningful. Instead of being told "Go bring me 10 plump helmets" by some stranger, you *want* to go find 10 plump helmets so you and your friends can use them. It's fun (and free)!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6