Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Guide  (Read 1202 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
The Guide
« on: November 09, 2008, 10:49:14 am »

Ok. I am .. not new but still quite the n00b when it comes to Communtiy games. I am interested in creatign and setting up my own Community game. So I am going to tell you, I don;t know anything about doing the above. Can people please post here tips or Walkthroughs to creating a communtiy game, not just for me, but for Generations of kitten slaughterers to come.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Guide
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:55:20 am »

Succession is easy. You start out in a difficult or intresting place, you play for a Dwarf Year, and pass it onto the next player, how does the same. It sounds easy, but you get loads of different styles of play, and the longer it goes on, the more screwed up the fort gets. Boatmurdered, for example, basicly spiralled out of control from organisation troubles and no-one knew whether a lever would wipe out the entire fortress or re-fill their water supply.

The most true quote about succession games is along the lines of: "I assume it has a purpose for being like that so I'll leave it alone".
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:58:34 am by Plank of Wood »
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:01:51 am »

Community games are fairly straightforward.  One person (the player) plays the fort during its entirety, but people from the community each get at least one dwarf (exact number depends on the community fort player) and states what they want their dwarf(s) to do.  The player then posts the story of the fort as it progresses.  Most "dwarfed" people tend to post diary/journal entries giving their viewpoint on events.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 11:14:05 am »

A few random things to know about community fortresses:

1) file hosting is your friend. Images, movies, and well-placed links are your friends.
2) "dwarven" projects will boost your popularity. "dwarven" meaning not likely to work, has little benefit, more likely to cause harm than benefit, etc.
3) don't be afraid to ask the community for advice. They actually come up with some pretty cool stuff.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 12:56:06 pm »

Will you be using the unmodded version?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 01:30:28 pm »

Succession is easy. You start out in a difficult or intresting place, you play for a Dwarf Year, and pass it onto the next player, how does the same. It sounds easy, but you get loads of different styles of play, and the longer it goes on, the more screwed up the fort gets. Boatmurdered, for example, basicly spiralled out of control from organisation troubles and no-one knew whether a lever would wipe out the entire fortress or re-fill their water supply.

The most true quote about succession games is along the lines of: "I assume it has a purpose for being like that so I'll leave it alone".

THIS IS WHY NOTES WERE ADDED USE THEM PEOPLE
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 01:33:13 pm »

No-one ever reads them xD
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 01:33:26 pm »

Will you be using the unmodded version?

Yes

How do i upload a save file then?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 01:51:21 pm »

You just go to DFFD (dwarf fortress file depot), register there, and upload your file.  I'm fairly certain they explain the exact process there.  By the way, I remember you will need to put your files into a zip file (which can be done using windows).

As to advice on how to make a community fortress, this thread has some good advice.
All generalizations are false....including this one.