Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hey I know! Let make LCS even more hated!  (Read 2537 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hey I know! Let make LCS even more hated!
« on: November 10, 2008, 03:31:13 pm »

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-fg-sadr10-2008nov10,0,1627051.story

This article inspired me...What if there is an LCS mod where you play as a milita in a war-torn area such as Iraq (like the Madhi Army)?

Of course, modding LCS must be pretty hard, so meh. Is it possible to keep the basics of the LCS game, but just rename organizations, for example, renaming the "Conservative Crime Squad" to the "Sons of Iraq"?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Hey I know! Let make LCS even more hated!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:22:12 pm »

No.

LCS is funny because it's in America, a functioning democracy where the government does a pretty good job of representing the people.  It's about a group of revolutionaries who are completely blind to the world and that's what makes it funny.  Putting it in Iraq would be tasteless and would ruin the game.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:05:44 pm »

Oh. Er.

Sorry then. Request withdrawn. I guess I have a terribly dark sense of humor.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 05:18:41 pm »

I think I would fear actually inspiring people to engage in violence by making it look like it's effective. But for what it's worth, I sometimes look to the middle east for source material. Kind of sad, really, that I could look anywhere for source material for this game.  :(

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 05:22:06 pm »

No.

LCS is funny because it's in America, a dysfunctional democracy where the government does a pretty bad job of representing the people.  It's about a group of revolutionaries who are completely fucking awesome and that's what makes it funny.  Putting it in Iraq would be realistic and would ruin the game.
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 05:24:36 pm »

No.

LCS is funny because it's in America, a functioning democracy Constutional Republic where the government does a pretty good job of representing the people.  It's about a group of revolutionaries who are completely blind to the world and that's what makes it funny.  Putting it in Iraq would be tasteless and would ruin the game.

Fixed that for ya.

But yes, this is why the game works. Ever see that video "If the other side wins"? Basically that in a game.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 05:27:29 pm »

I really hope the "Other side" isn't the south... because TECHNICALLY if the South won the American Civil war they would have broke from America and split the USA as we know it into two (or possibly more) Countries.

At least how I interpret it.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 05:54:31 pm »

I really hope the "Other side" isn't the south

I think he's referring to this video about the 2008 election, or something similar, where the "other side" is just whichever side you disagree with.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 09:13:49 pm »

But for what it's worth, I sometimes look to the middle east for source material. Kind of sad, really, that I could look anywhere for source material for this game.  :(

Really?  I thought the game was more in the spirit of Latin American revolution.  After all, American capitalist greed features quite prominently in said revolutions.

Also, Duke, words have meaning according to how they're used, and when I say democracy, people understand it to mean a government with elections not just direct democracy.  Don't play semantic games or I'll get angry.  And you won't like that...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:55:07 pm »

The game was written in the spirit of SLA-style US revolution, and to my eye still cleaves pretty strongly to it.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:10:19 am »

While I do sometimes look to middle eastern militant groups for inspiration, this is not to in any way diminish the influence that Latin American models have on the game. It is definitely correct to say that the game is in the spirit of Latin American revolution.

As E. Albright points out, the primary influence on LCS is the SLA, which was a small group of US militants based in California in the 70s. The SLA was directly inspired by Latin American revolutionary ideas, and misguidedly transplanted these ideas into California, where they made international news with various LCS-like activities before being eventually crushed by the police.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 07:09:13 pm »

Crushed is an understatment.

Didn't their hideout catch on fire?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

ChemicalVengence

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously...
    • View Profile
    • ChemicalVengence NG account
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:30:42 pm »

yeah, but a few of them weren't in the safehouse, but in a hotel room so they got away to recruit a few more ppl. Unfortunately, those were killed or arrested too. There's only like 3 that weren't killed, one of which is getting out in March

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 12:40:39 am »

one of which is getting out in March

Hah!  Now the LCS can begin it's work anew!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 02:22:29 pm »

I didn't quite see the Middle Eastern influence on this.

To me, it seemed like a dystopian future where the US was trying to become 1984, but instead of being communist or whatever, it happened to be conservative.
Pages: [1] 2