Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Realism improvment for LCS  (Read 795 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Realism improvment for LCS
« on: November 13, 2008, 07:42:49 pm »

Hi there, my job for the last 2 months was pretty much LCS without the violence/crime aspect.  And while I think LCS is a very accurate portrayal of this type of model, I think it is missing a few things:

Show Rate

Drop Rate

Burn Out

One of the trickiest thing in keeping an organization like this going is ensuring that your members feel like they are being productive, and part of something.  There is also a tendency for people to fall through on their commitments and just not show up.

Early failures are the easiest way to have someone drop out, as is having a group that is very small.  Once you have achieved a certain amount of people, new members are much more apt to believe that the group is actually effective and productive.  I could see someone who fails when trying to steal a car 2 days in a row just not showing up the 3rd day

Volunteers who take too much responsibilities upon themselves can easily get burnt out especially without compensation of some sort

I don't play much LCS, and don't really know how these changes would affect the gameplay, but just thought i'd share my experiences for your consideration.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Realism improvment for LCS
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:58:40 pm »

As long as you're able to pay the random off the street thugs money so that it isn't like an organization with voluntary and unpaid membership and more like a good job that they don't want to lose, this makes sense. But this should be something more rare and extreme, not where you recruit ten people one day and have nine drop out the next because the tenth one died.

And put the first letter back in your signature  >:(
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:09:54 pm »

I would think if you recruited 10 hippies and on their first day 2 of the other hippies were killed a few of the hippies would rethink their commitment. 

However, if those hippies had spent several months working with each other and with your organization, it would only harden their resolve.

It would make sense if you can start paying the people who are doing the dirty work for you, while keeping a volunteer force doing the happy clappy aspects.  You would start out having to build your volunteer force until you could afford to start compensating some of them to avoid burnout and increase loyalty.

And put the first letter back in your signature  >:(

Nevar!
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 03:43:32 pm »

I think the idea that you have to do some ideological indoctrination and/or low-level brainwashing to keep the casually involved's resolve up has merit and fits with the game well. One could even add a new form of teaching (with or without an associated Liberal Doctrine skill) to allow you to explicitly augment this effect.

Cash would be one motivator (though possibly not for everyone), but as stated, so would  a developed sense of fraternity... or complicity. This would be good if heat and/or negative publicity (atrocities) could also drive up the drop-out rate in addition to personal failure or casualties. If you've a clean police record, but you're working for an organization committing mass murders and branded terrorists, your resolve will be tested, even if you ultimately choose to remain on-board.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:10:05 pm »

The problem is that it would make the game impossibly hard if you had to keep the moral of individual soldiers, or even your whole organization in mind.  But moral shouldn't be all that important, y'all are batshit crazy and not exactly making rational choices anyway.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.