Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42

Author Topic: Kobold Camp  (Read 152833 times)

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 01:31:17 pm »

NO ITEMS
FOX ONLY
FINAL DESTINATION
Fix'd

The local slang term for people like that is 'scrubs'.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 01:39:24 pm »

Yeah, anyway.

I don't know why no one's asked this, but why not make a digging implement with [CAN_STONE]?  Make copper ore [SHARP] as suggested, or maybe something hard like granite, and then you've got actual digging tools without the logical inconsistency of embarking with tools you can't make.  (The idea there is that kobolds steal them from somewhere, and you've been lent a few.)  Yes, the idea of the mod is a primitive tribe, and no, the game can't differentiate between soil and rock for your stone picks, but if you're playing this mod you're already committed to playing to a certain style.

On that note, how's this idea.  A whole set of kobold-only weapons with [CAN_STONE], given a really low base damage to make them feel ineffective as if primitive tools despite the hard-codded equivalency to steel.  Axes, spears, knives, hammers, and the above soil-trenchers all make sense.  (Whether a rock on a stick is a hammer or a mace is matter of interpretation, and should be avoided.)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 01:50:18 pm »

The mod posted includes two primitive versions --  a chopper, which is a simple stone/copper axe, and a shovel -- but I'm sure more couldn't hurt. Either way, I prefer having weapons in such short supply that each caravan is anxiously awaited. With no stone and bone/leather in high demand as armor, you find yourself with very little in the way of trade goods and scrounging to make up for a few copper shortswords.

It's much more of a challenge than, say, being able to crank out all the stone swords you want for your entire village.
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 01:55:05 pm »

Like I said, if you're playing as Kobolds then you already want to impose certain restrictions on yourself.  Just because the option is there to crank out stone swords doesn't mean you have to.

Besides, if you give them a really low base damage (say 40 for swords), imported weapons will still be worth buying.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 01:58:23 pm »

True. If nothing else, it would provide a way for recruits to train their sword skills.
I always figured there should be a way to make wooden versions of various weapons, designed solely for sparring, to reduce the chance of injury and make it easier to provide for the recruits than for the actual stationed soldiers. As it is my kobold camp has a few wrestlers because I'm still just a few swords short of a full stock.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 08:23:25 pm »

Do you think kobolds should have blowdart guns or slings? Would it be possible to create a weapon out of leather?

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 10:11:31 pm »

Do you think kobolds should have blowdart guns or slings? Would it be possible to create a weapon out of leather?

If we can have artifacts that menace with spikes of silk, we can have hardened leather clubs.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 11:32:27 am »

Hey, don't underestimate leather's ability to beat the crap out of someone. Especially if you fill it with lead shot.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 04:33:18 pm »

Slings -- yes.  Making a sling from a simple leather strip is entirely possible.

Blowgun -- I believe they're pretty straightforward to make as long as you have a straight length of bamboo or cane.  You could mod in biome-appropriate bamboo trees and make the blowguns via smelter reaction, to ensure that only bamboo could be used.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 09:48:22 pm »

Added my own little suggestions, and embarked with a bunch of loser kobolds.  Five skill points each, no skill higher than level two, no picks/shovels, one axe and a spear for my hunter.

Embarked on a cave (on purpose) but the cave is too tiny.  And home to three zombie trolls (evil biome).  Also a named cougar and a named grizzly were listed as Residents.

I sent the hunter after the cougar, since it was right over the wagon.  After piercing it's lung, the cougar tore off his entire left arm (among other wounds).  They spent a minute passing out next to each other until I sent over the woodcutter and bonecarver to finish it off, and slapped together a lean-to with a couple beds and buckets.

Elapsed game time: seven days.  I've got a one-armed hunter, a named axekob, and a skeletal crocodile just showed up.  Kobold Camp rules.

EDIT: Whelp, the crocodile got the axekob.  Let's see how well the other five able bodies fare when they all rush it.  It's just one bony crocodile, surely he can't kill them all?

EDIT MORE: Turns out, yes it can, when they rush it one at a time.  Come on kobolds, can we get a little coordination?  Yes, I know you lost a friend to tragedy, but you're gonna lose more if you don't work together.

Thing I just learned: Because kobolds are so gregarious, death-of-a-friend unhappiness will spread like the plague.

EDIT STILL: And another daring kobold attempt has crumbled to it's quick end.  Next time I need to put together a shelter quicker.  And not antagonize the wildlife.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:25:01 pm by Aqizzar »

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 03:00:49 am »

D'AWWWWWWW.

They happen to be 2 of the Kobolds I first embarked with, both of whom are probably the most high-attribute Kobolds in the whole camp. Both are legendary record-keepers and both have insanely high strength/toughness/agility.

So cute.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 03:17:20 pm »

Those copper knives are stolen from human kitchens. Duh

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 06:28:40 pm »

Kobolds are such great carpenters.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 06:30:51 pm »

That's pretty much how my kobold game has gone so far. :)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 06:40:31 pm »

Code: [Select]
.####....
.#BB#....
.#~~####.
.#B~~~B#.
.#B~~~~X.
.###~~~#.
...#B~##.
.#.#B~^#.
...#####.

It's a thing of beauty!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42