Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42

Author Topic: Kobold Camp  (Read 153597 times)

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008, 03:42:58 am »

Ironically enough, whenever kobold traders <embark on their journey> a bunch of "A thief has stolen <insert item>" messages appear. Crazy kobbies are so used to their kin stealing stuff that they think the traders stole all the things they possess from them.
Sadly because they're marked as such in the raws, foreign kobolds leaving with items are assumed to be thieves. At first this is just a scare. Seeing several dozen items stolen after your first round of trading is a harrowing thing. But it has one major effect on gameplay:
Kobolds get absolutely no "exported wealth" because all the goods count as stolen, not exported.

Which means your fortres will grow very slowly.

I've left this in because a booming fortress is hardly vulnerable under these conditions, and it wouldn't convey the same feeling of helplessness and constant fear I wanted to instill on a race fantasy sword-fodder for all the others. To help balance it out though, Kobolds do give birth in fairly sizeable litters.

You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2008, 03:55:36 am »

Luckily, the wealth of Lolofodraynkus is not in exports or crafts... but mithril prepared meals!
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2008, 03:56:27 am »

Luckily, the wealth of Lolofodraynkus is not in exports or crafts... but mithril prepared meals!

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2008, 04:27:32 am »

Another oddity I've noticed is that some of the immigrants have job names that aren't actually kobold jobs, I've got a metalsmith and a cheesemaker. Upon checking they don't have any skills, they're basicly peasants with fancy titles.

Maybe they're using the titles as a cover-up to avoid having to work? I suspect foul play...

EDIT: The current created wealth from cooking is now nearing 35000, I'm also suspecting my kobolds to be French.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:39:01 am by Pruvan »

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2008, 04:36:24 am »

Sadly there's no way to stop immigrants from coming in with jobs the race is forbidden to have.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2008, 04:51:28 am »

if you took [item_thief] or maybe [SKULKING] out of the Skulking Entity, it might stop traders from being confused with thieves.  If that doesn't work it might be something hardcoded specially for kobolds.  You could change the creature name from KOBOLD to like KOBOLD_PLAYABLE and see if that does it. 

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2008, 05:26:14 am »

if you took [item_thief] or maybe [SKULKING] out of the Skulking Entity, it might stop traders from being confused with thieves.
Well like I said, since the only negative effect is a slower growth rate for the fortress, I opted to leave it in anyway.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2008, 12:29:19 pm »

I just noticed that your graphic sheet has no pictures for kobold hammermen or macemen.  They can't embark with them, but they can certainly get them.

Man, the mod reminded me just why carp are so hated.  With no steady booze supply I'm losing another fool every month.  Guess I'll have make them go back to the temple pool.

Speaking of which, I'm noticing that the finite water source my kobolds are drinking from isn't getting any smaller.  Is that normal?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2008, 01:12:51 pm »

Kobolds don't use maces or hammers, so no graphic tile is needed for macemen or hammermen. In addition, all non-kobold jobbed immigrants have skull icons too.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2008, 01:17:43 pm »

I'm almost afraid to ask, but does that word mean "plan"?
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2008, 01:39:20 pm »

I'm almost afraid to ask, but does that word mean "plan"?

No, it means 'Griflibrisfriblim'.  It's an incomprehensible language you know.

Kobolds don't use maces or hammers, so no graphic tile is needed for macemen or hammermen. In addition, all non-kobold jobbed immigrants have skull icons too.

As long as the military equipping menu works the same way, they certainly can use maces and hammers.  In fact, I added stone clubs to my copy of the mod.

Actually, I can probably draw them in myself.

EDIT: Macekobolds and Hammerkobolds.

I just realized that the macekobold looks like a cubone.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:25:42 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2008, 06:55:55 pm »

BAMP for awesome.

Saw this on /tg/ yesterday.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2008, 07:52:01 pm »

Hey Gobbo, Kobolds don't have the bowyer job enabled.  Is that intentional?  I would think they could make bows at least.

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2008, 08:00:05 pm »

Bowyer is crossbow-making, which I originally disabled because they don't use crossbows, but now that they use bows with the crossbow skill... hm.
Good point. I'll leave it as is, since I've grown attached to the need to buy weapons, but if you want to let them make bows themselves, go right ahead. It'll probably make things a lot easier -- which is part of why I'm opting not to change it, myself.

EDIT:
LRAYER HAS BECOME A MASTER WRESTLER
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:05:43 am by Gobbo »

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2008, 09:53:11 am »

Ettin is struck with laughter!
Lrayer places a chokehold on Ettin with Ettin's laughter!
Ettin has bled to death.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42