Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: (Succession) Speargroove nano fortresss,  (Read 69707 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Speargroove - Another high FPS succession game - Recruiting
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 11:10:15 pm »

Udil

Good gods this bedroom is like a palace! I've added an office above it, a bit more conservative in decorations, where I can keep my platinum collared giant leopard.

The gatehouse has just been finished and the floodgates levered to the dining room... AMBUSH! Hobgoblins, I shall never trust thee again!

Our dolerite guardians held them long enough for the floodgates to slam down.  I asked around and it seems we have someone with hunting experience.  I promoted him to grand high marksdwarf and he took them all out easily.

Our first artifact has been completed, a wooden tiara by our woodcrafter.  Not particularly useful.  Our first child born in the fortress as well, I assigned more and better furniture to her parent's room.

Seems to be some trouble with our seeds... dumping out of this barrel.  Who puts bags of seeds in barrels? Bah! someone else can deal with it!

EDIT

PROBLEM

I can't seem to get anything up to DFFD.  Could I get an email for the next person?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 11:23:11 pm by Time Kitten »

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 02:04:10 am »

O.K thanks Time kitten... On to Doppel. I will send him a pm asking for him to give his email to you.

EDIT] oops it looks like i put Doppel before caranha, I will instead ask for caranha's email.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:06:14 am by A_Fey_Dwarf »

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 08:30:40 am »

PM'ing Kitten with my e-mail now :-)

Hieda no Akyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 03:52:12 pm »

If it's not too late, is it possible that I join?

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 04:29:01 pm »

Sure, but I think you will have to be the last one to join until we start a second round of recruiting. That way I won't have a list 20 people long and people at the end of it forgetting they are playing the game by the time it gets to them.

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Speargroove - Another high FPS succession game
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 01:04:54 am »

I'm trying to get the save from Kitty. He sent me an ".ace" file (wtf?) that I can't really open (any unix/mac friendly ace uncompressors around?), so I'm waiting for another file.

Stay tuned! Don't leave your chair just yet ;-)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 01:14:59 am »

Gah! Damit, that was supposed to be a .rar.  Okay, finally found how to get a .zip again.

Got DFFD working for me.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=671
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:18:52 am by Time Kitten »

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 01:25:49 am »

Yay :-D

EDIT: Got speargrove up and running in my computer. The initial update will be coming soon.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:02:01 am by caranha »

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 03:23:08 am »

Diary of Olga Blankethames

After the last bugbear attacks, Udil, the manager, finally accepted to listen to me and hear my suggestions on how to improve the security of Speargrooves against future attackers. It was a nasty discussion, and he didn't like it much, specially because of the large list of improvements and suggestions that I brought to his table.

In the end, not being able to deny my points, but not really agreeing with them either, Udil threw his hands into the air. "You think you can do a better job than me? Very well - try it. You're the Sheriff now - I needed to appoint one anyway."

Very well!

==

1st of Obsidian, Spring.

After my talk with Udil. I decided to go around the fortress to review the main renovation plans. To assist me in my task, I called all the dwarves, and the only one who had any military experience was Kel Tosidolom, a Farmer who helped fight off some fire men during the first days of the fort. I made him my second in command in the military.

We checked the walls for blind spots in the fortifications. There were no walls or doors separating the trading depot from the fortress, which showed a trust in the traders above a level I was confortable with. I couldn't also readly spot the ammo stockpile, which worried me a little. I have rounded up the masons, and started working out on this problem...

====

Link for the end of turn 2:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-8930-quarters

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 12:42:55 pm »

The ammo is in a bin at the top of the lava shaft, or maybe the ranger used it up practicing since it was mostly wooden bolts.

The trade depot should have hatches on the stairs down, and I was planning on fortifications overlooking it.  The previous design had no room to improve it's defense and took up valuable garden space.

Oh, and you'll need to unforbid the seed bags next to the farm if you hadn't yet.  Had to dump them out of a barrel.

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 08:24:51 pm »

Diary of Olga Blankethames:

2nd of Granite:

Before starting work on the wall project, I decided to see what the other dwarves were doing. The millstone was stopped. When asked why, I was told that there were no bags to proccess the plants. The Metalsmith was wasting our iron making barrels. I told him that we could get those barrels from imported wood, and told him to make me and kel a suit of iron armor instead.

6th of Granite:

When I went to check on the progress of my plate mail, I find the smithy full of copper bars - and Led the smith is nowhere to be found. The other dwarves tell me that he has been acting secretive lately. Oh great.

8th of Granite

Finished moving the farming workshops underground (except for the mill) - That should free the ground floor for military training and trading. The farmers started a party on the dining hall - I just hope that the masons are more sensible than that, and don't stop the work on the wall.

Oh, and Led finished his "secret project". A scepter, in honour of our king, he says. Except that the king he engraved in the scepter has been dead for at least 20 years. Someone needs to keep up with the times.

13th of Granite

The Xelic caravan comes, and the farmers are still partying - and they invited a bunch of the other dwarves as well. I grabbed an idle peasant and asked him to open the main gates for the traders. Luckly, before the peasant could reach the lever, I spotted a bunch of bugbear raiders hiding near the entrance.

Kel manages to stop the peasant before he opens the gates, and me and Kel scare the raiders away by shooting them from the partially constructed ramparts. Kel got one, I got three of them before they fled.

Unfortunately all this commotion made most of the Xelic merchants leave in disgust. I managed to convince a few of then that all was safe, and led them to the expedition leader, Dain, for trading.

23rd of Granite

The trading with the Xelic is finally completed! We got plenty of wood, food and leather for bags from them, in exchange of a bunch of mechanisms we had laying about.

I ask Led, the metalcrafter about the plate armour I had requested weeks ago. He gave some excuses, saying that he was busy smoothing the walls of the bedrooms underground. I feel that was a lame excuse, we don't have enough walls to keep even two full time engravers busy, there was no reason for him to be messing with that. I tell him to stop engraving and go work on my armor, ASAP!

28th of Granite

AIEEEEE! I was going up to the surface from the dining room, when the floor collapses, ALMOST on my head. One of the masons had the brilliant idea of using a bridge to support the floor he was building, and the resulting accident dug a hole straight into the magma pipe. Fortunately, no dwarves got hurt.

1st of Slate

A bunch of migrants have arrived to Speargrove from the capital:
A miner, a Lye Maker, two animal trainers, a fisherdwarf, a miller, an armorer, a metalsmith, a clothier, a stonecrafter, a trapper, a pump operator, an engineer, a woodworker, a trapper, six peasants and two childs. I draft the peasants into the mason corps, and decide to deal with the migrants after I finish my current wall project.

2nd of Felsite

The migrant situation hasn't been completely sorted yet. I have assigned some of the stronger migrants into the military, a few into the mason corps, and the rest I decided to let them do whatever they pleased. Progress on the battlements has gone nicely - Now wagons can come in without compromising our security. I feel I can leave the rest of the work to the masons, and concentrate on redesigning the workshops.

During the past month, me and Udil discussed the matters about quarters for the new migrants. I wanted to dig smaller quarters for everyone, in order to better use our space, but he convinced me that given the royal limit to the number of settlers in speargrove, we could confortably affort a hundred rooms of the current size - so I ordered them dug and furnished.

The fort has now 49 dwarven souls in it.

==

Plans for next gaming bout:
- Sort all non military dwarves.
- begin melee training and outfit an 8 person militia.
- Build a more efficient workshop/stockpile structure
- Build some military structures: Training grounds, armory, etc.
- Finish housing everyone.

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 03:35:54 am »

Well. I have finished my turn. I'll post the rest of the turn report tomorrow, and then upload the save.

Does the next person in line:
1- Prefers the entire DF folder, or just the region folder?
2- Would like me to remove the custom job titles (mason 1, mason2, etc) I gave the dwarves, or would prever to keep them in the save?

See you tomorrow with the updates.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 09:27:55 am »

I think it'd be best if the entire folder was uploaded everytime, to avoid any unwanted unintended accidental changes (gosh that's long).

As for custom names, that's up to the person after you I guess.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 04:21:24 pm »

Sadly i have to forfeit my turn. Pretty hectic lately plus i'm getting a new internet, which is great, for me.  :D
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 09:25:55 pm »

Diary of Olga Blankethames

6th Felsite
Held a meeting with all the immigrants and the older citizens, and divided the population into workgroup. Not everyone got the work they wanted to do, but I don't really care. I'm pretty sure they will get used to their new jobs soon enough.

6 of the toughest looking dwarves were chosen to join me and Kel into the military.

11th Felsite
I asked the cook about why didn't we have any fish meals in the menu, even though we have two full time fishers. He looked at me with a funny look, saying that the fishes the fish caugth were not cleaned up, and he couldn't do that in the kitchen, ere it would contaminate other foodstuffs.

I ordered  another dwarf to build up a place for cleaning the fish near the fishing pond. Do I have to think about everything myself?

Also, I have finally finished organizing the magma workshops - Forges on the east side of the pool, furnaces on the west side, glass workshops in the south. I could have done a better job, but I have more in my mind right now.

14th Felsite
I've ordered the armorer to prepare plates and shields for all the new soldiers. We have just enough iron to do it.

Also, another construction accident happened today - there was this strange stairway in the middle of the courtyard, leading up to nowhere. I ordered the masons to take it down - it looked like it would fall apart at the slightest touch - and in fact it did! Luckly, no one got hurt.

====

12th Hematite
It is now summer, and the new recruits are showing a lot of promise. I have made them all train some basic wrestling moves, supervised by me and Kel. To be honest, the two of us also needed some training in basic dodging techniques, but we never told the recruits that. Looking confident is half the secret of leadership.

Also today a bunch of caravans showed up: High elves, Humans and Dysaurys. The trading depot is a real mess!

16th Hematite
Goblins, attracked by the plenty of caravan tracks, attacked our settlement. They killed some of the human traders and scared them all away before we could reach a trading deal. One of the human bodyguards pushed the ambush party back before they could reach the main gates, though.

17th Hematite
After the Humans left, a large number of thieves appeared around speargrove - Kobold, Goblin, Chaos Dwarves - you name it. I have called off the training, and let the new recruits handle this small problem.

21st Hematite
Our military has finally cleaned out all the thieves without any problem, and Dain is meeting with the High Elf Diplomat. I asked him to request more wood and metal, what we lack most in this settlement.

3rd Malachite
While working on new helms and armor the Armorer, Sarvesh started to act strange. He stopped all his work and grabbed some copper bars and turtle bones.

10th Malachite
After a week in the forge, Sarvesh finally comes out with this strange piece of copper armor. He tells us that it is the finest armor in all the land, but It could not fit any of our recruits - in fact, it was too big for any dwarf to wear it. Such nonsense!

14th Malachite
All the traders and thieves are finally gone. I ordered the gates closed so that my boys could train undisturbed with some iron crossbows I had made for them.

24th Malachite
Kogsak, the lady responsible for cleaning the fish for our incompetent cook, gave birth to a boy. That makes 50 dwarves in Speargroove. Hooray!

With the doors closed, the summer goes by without any problems. Work progresses with the outer walls, the military keeps its training schedule.

25th Malachite
For some reason, the citizens of Speargroove requested a more formal government. Dain was chosen to be the Mayor, and he selected me as "captain of the guard". The more things change, more they stay the same, I guess.

Anyway, he proposed some plans for a Mayor's office, and I managed to divert some resources for meeting room for the army and a prison.

28th Malachite
We completed a small well, near the aquifer fishing zone - it might come in handy in case of a siege.

6th Galena
The area for the prison has been dug out. I asked some iron chains for Led to furnish the prison, and he came to me with an iron chain mail in hands...

First Sarvesh, now Led. Are the smiths in this fort dense or what?

===

28th Galena
Uneventful Summer. The prison is finished, with enough chains and beds to last us for a long time. I've also had a proper dining room to be made out of green glass. We should be happy that we no longer have to eat in a natural cavern, with stalactites dripping on our food, but some dwarves complained that the tables and chairs do not match!

6th of Limestone

It is started to get cold. Dain used his new powers as a mayor to order some shoes made for him. Then he told us that for the next year we should not sell any of our shoes to the migrants. I asked him about it and he just babbled something about "trade secrets"... oh well.

The training goes exceedingly well. I had Led produce us some copper hammers so that the recruits could practice with weapons, now that they became used to moving around in their armor and shields.

10th Limestone
A dwarf caravan has arrived. Along with it, a bugbear and goblin ambush. The invaders managed to scare the caravan away, but the liason made it to the fort, and promised us to bring more bodyguards next year.

After my boys dealt with the goblinoids, a hobgoblin caravan showed up. Mistaking their features by those of our enemies, we almost attacked them as well.

18th Limestone
Violet xelics showed up to attack us. A dwarf bodyguard that remained behind helped me and the recruits repel them.

9th sandstone
The hobgoblins finished trading with us. Before they left, they told me that our enemies were spreading tales about my battle prowess. It seems that among them, I am known as "Olga the mean flimsiness of intimidating". Cool.

23rd sandstone
We spotted some dwarven merchants from the previous caravan outside Speargroove, milling about. I wonder what they want.

7th of Timber
The merchants told us that one of their wagons was stuck, and couldn't move. We helped them by dismantling the wagon. They managed to leave after that, but couldn't take their goods with them. We decided to keep their stuff. I'll tell Dain to make up for it by giving them a larger profit margin next year.

21st of TimberNot much is happening. I decided to order the miners to dig down, and found a layer of marble. We could use this to build a meeting chamber for the dwarves.

1st of Moonstone
Winter has began, and I spend more and more time training my army. I think we could probably separate the army into fortress guard and raid hunters, but I must give more time to this thought. I wish we had more iron to fully outfit everyone in plate.

One of the dwarf merchants and his bodyguard are still outside the fort, doing nothing. This intrigues me.

The fisherdwarves have been complaining that there are no more turtles in their aquifer pond. Well, since food is not a problem for us, I suggested they take the opportunity to take a break, make some friends, forget about fishing for a while. They gave me a funny look.

2nd of Moonstone
The merchant standing outside started acting really weird. As the snow started to fall on him, he ripped his clothing off, and perched atop a small boulder, mumbling uncomprehensive stuff. I decided to take a break from my training, to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid.

14th Moonstone
A small thief was seen skulking around. Me and Kel tried to nab him, without success. The crazy merchant seems content in staying in his corner, crying, so I guess I will head back inside and continue to train the troops.

18th Moonstone
Someone spotted one of the Chaos dwarves outside. I decided to go and teach him not to mess with Speargroove.

19th of Moonstone
When there is one of them, there are many soon behind. A raiding party of Chaos dwarves was spotted outside. Between me and Kel and some of the recruits, we made short work of them.

24th of Moonstone
Completed the Marble Hall. With nice statues, engravings, and exotic caged creatures, it should provide a nice place for dwarves to relax when not busy.

7th of Opal
Olon, one of the recruits, gave birth today. I hope this does not interferes with the girl's training.

Also, when I went for a Patrol outside, I spotted our leader Dain and the dwarven liason secretly discussing something outside the doors. Why was Dain talking there, instead of using his nice office?

1st Obsidian
Going back to my room, I hear a lot of noise coming from the marble hall. Getting there, I see that the children have dressed the marble statues in red gowns and caps, brought pine saplings to the room, and were calling everyone to participate in their party. Now that I feel I have reached most of my administrative goals, I think that kicking back and relaxing is an appropriate reward for the end of the year.

However, during the party, Fath, a mason, starts acting really strange, and rushes out towards his workshop.

15th Obsidian
Fath shows up at the party again hauling this big limestone coffin, adorned with jewels and bones. We are not sure if we should congratulate him or lock him away - it certainly spooked all of the children who were playing there.

=====================================

This ends my year in Speargroove.

I built a 2nd story wall with fortifications looking outside. If you keep the bridges closed, you can move the military around to any of those "windows" in order to pick on siegers outside. The siegers can shoot back, so it is not _completely_ unfair.

Also, I have trained a fairly balanced 8 dwarf military. All of them have some degree of shield, armor, wrestling, hammer and crossbow training. Sparring copper hammers and iron crossbows are available.

Things that need to be done include dealing with the acquifer, and fixing the messy food storerooms and the mason/clothing/carpentry workshops. Also, once we get more iron from caravans/goblins, we should finish crafting armor for all the military dwarves.

You can see how I left the fort here:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3988-speargroove

and the link to the savegame is here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=674
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:29:12 pm by caranha »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37