Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NOCTIS IV HELP!  (Read 4192 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
NOCTIS IV HELP!
« on: May 11, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »

Hello guys, I wanted to make the Noctis-dedicated thread after I saw this AWESOME game on these forums.

Are there any pros who could teach me a bit? Two main questions are
1) why are there "invisible walls" on planets?
2) how to return to ship from planet? I can't find a capsule
3) how to start a new world, I appear at the place where I quit.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Xenomorph

• Bay Watcher
  • has sprung from ambush!
    • View Profile
Re: NOCTIS IV HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

Ah, good old vanilla Noctis.  It's been forever since I've played it, but let's see if I can help.

1)  The "invisible walls" are due to memory constraints.  There's only so much that can fit into 640k conventional DOS memory, after all.

2)  Your landing capsule should be close to 0,0 in your sector.  (Your current location can be seen at the top of the screen.)  Look around for a beam of light shining into the sky.  If you can't see it, head towards 0,0 until you do.

When you find the capsule, just enter it and you'll take off.

3)  If you're stuck on a planet and can't get off, come out of Noctis and find the surface.bin file, and delete it.  When you start again, you'll be back on the ship.  To completely start from the beginning, also delete current.bin.  The files should be in the "data" folder, if I recall.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

I've found CE! (community edition!) It has so many nice features!
Console while on planet! Jetpack! An ability to call your capsule to you! No invisible walls (the area "reloads" after you reach the edge)!

Just wow...

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

Suddenly, you hear a snarling whisper. "Noctis sucks", it growls. The voice sounds distant and cold, as though it were reaching from some remote plane of existance. "Staring at ugly and boring environments is all you get to do!" it continues.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

*Quickly casts Turn Undead on the Ghost of Fenrir*

For the record, I agree, there's not much to do beyond looking at bland, unattractive landscapes.  Felysian planets are worse than uninhabited, it's like Technicolor vomit.  When(If) Noctis V comes out, I'll probably play it again, but there's really only so long you can play before you've seen pretty much everything.

Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

Have you seen a felysian planet at a runaway star? I haven't. I did find one around a white dwarf...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »

I can't say it sucks. It's much more interesting than usual spacesims we have around =). I mean if you use your imagination...
And yes, I stare at dead landscapes. But it rocks. Definitely I'll get tired of it, but for now I like it so don't spoil my feelings =).

I can't find a way to see my Li+ reserves though...

[ May 11, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

It's an awesome game because you can just pick it up and go somewhere. There's no stats to worry about, no objectives, just wandering. It's very relaxing and a type a game that's good to keep handy.

Great for those "I don't feel like doing anything moments" because you aren't forced to.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 02:45:00 am »

So, any way to see your current Lithium reserves>
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 05:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>Suddenly, you hear a snarling whisper. "Noctis sucks", it growls. The voice sounds distant and cold, as though it were reaching from some remote plane of existance. "Staring at ugly and boring environments is all you get to do!" it continues.</STRONG>

Thanks for your opinion.   You can drop the "I don't post or do I?!?!" gimmick anytime though.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 08:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>Suddenly, you hear a snarling whisper. "Noctis sucks", it growls. The voice sounds distant and cold, as though it were reaching from some remote plane of existance. "Staring at ugly and boring environments is all you get to do!" it continues.</STRONG>

The man who rents a room in my flat said the same to me.
But I do not agree.
You cannot see...

This is not the kind of game where you act as something which disturbs/changes enviroment, but it's a good space simulation and I wish we had X-like game with such a "real" space and ability to land.
This is just a one-man project which can't take the minds of many people like you because it's a special thing. It's a kind of art. You just spend your time staring at the stars and exploring planets.
For sure I thought there're more variety in given info (i.e. soil type, atmosphere contents, ability to name found critters and all), but it's in development and maybe some day it'll be more interactive.

Also I want to recall that noone makes you to stare at those "ugly and boring environments", but it's a perfect thing for me to kill a few minutes between mathphysics studies - I find a planet, land there, spend 5 minutes or so and then continue my university tasks. It relaxes and refreshes my mind greatly.

If I spent this time playing DF/civilization/another favourite game I'd end with an unfinished project for uni and a very short time to sleep.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

Infinity: The Quest for Earth.

That is all.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

Still under development  :(. I think they will come out just when my child will become a space empreror himself...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

I respectfully disagree.  It seems like the engine is finished, which means that we will be seeing games in the vein even if some catastrophe occurs.  I also think that real forward progress is being made by the lead developer.  I call beta in 2009.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

Noctis is TERRIBLE AUGH MY EYES on land, but its very cool in space for a while.

Go to where you installed noctis, go to 'manual'. The music on the manual is the best "alone in dark and empty space" music I've ever heard.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.
Pages: [1] 2