Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: Stranded II - God damnit I need two more vines.  (Read 76027 times)

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stranded II - God damnit I need two more vines.
« on: May 11, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

Stranded II is a first person island survival game created by Unreal Software.
The game is about a male character with a British accent who has been washed up on an island after a boat accident, To survive he must create shelter,
find water, find and cook food and avoid the islands wild life who would like to cause him harm.
Stranded II uses an odd type of creation system, to for example a hammer, you select a branch and a rock in your inventory and press the "Combine" button,
giving you a list of objects you can create using those two items while this is simple for a hammer, you have no hint towards lots of later on objects
and some may take as many as 4 different things to create!

Adventure Mode
First up is a cutscene showing how you ended up on the island.
You get a diary entry the moment you get to the island talking about you being stuck there, pressing V at any time brings up the diary.
Your diary is a handy tool, every time you come across something new it will come up and talk about it, giving you hints on how to use the new thing to survive.
So now we're on a beach, you're surrounded by remains of your ship, floating barrels, crates and logs.
Lets begin by walking up to a crate or barrel and pressing the left mouse button, this will attack it with your hands, after a while it will break leaving an item behind.
To pick up items press E or press the right mouse button.
Press C to bring up your inventory, for more information check the Inventory section.
Break up all the crates and barrels you see around the area and pick up whats inside them, then explore the island.
I'll leave the rest to you, as Stranded II has a real discovery feeling the first time you create or find something, and by me telling you about them
I take away the best part of the game from you, just remember to read your diary offen and save offen

Inventory

From left to right:
Use Uses the selected item, the same effect as if you held the item in your hand and pressed E.
Eat Eats the selected item, some items will cause damage such as rocks, but who the fuck eats rocks anyway?
Hold Wields the selected item, pressing E with an item wielded will use it, such as cooking meat, pressing the left mouse button will attack with it.
Combine Attempts to combine all the selected items, if it is a success it will show a list of possible items to create.
Drop Depending on the number below the cross, it drops a certain amount of the selected object.

Random Islands
Using the random island option from the main menu, you can create an island using some options, the main thing is size and how hard it is.
On a small island you'll still have quite a bit of moving area and see resources and animals more closely packed together.
On a medium island you'll have more than enough room and see animals at what seems like a good distance apart.
On a large island you'll never see half of it, most resources and animals are spread out, I've never seen a good reason to use this setting.

Easy has no animals which would cause you harm, you spawn with lots of suplys, this is basically a sand box.
Medium will see lion spawning stones around the island and a few random sharks which do not respawn, more tightly packed depending on size.
Hard you will see lots of piranha and sharks around the island and raptor nests on land.

Map Editor

The map editor allows you to create your own island or archipelago, while the land shaper is a pain in the ass, I've seen a few nicely done maps out there.
I'll expand this section once I go back and use the map editor a bit more.

Modding
Stranded II can be modded to an extent, while some huge things can not be done, there is a good mod that adds alot to the game but it is currently only in German.
There's not alot I can really say here so explore the files your self.

Bugs
I'll update this as more come up.

1: All adventure mode diary entrys refusing to display, any discovery entrys on random islands do not show up either.

Spoilers
Most of the fun in Stranded II is discovery of how to create things and how things work, so keep spoilers in spoiler tags with obvious warnings to
what is within them.

Stranded II Download

Screenshots

Also sorry for recreating a thread we already had, I was planning to make this for other forums so I figured I may aswell finish it and post it here aswell.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stranded II - God damnit I need two more vines.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

Oh, you got me. I *love* survival games* like this, Unreal World being a personal favorite*. This looks very interesting, and apparently free, too? Always a plus. I'll give it a shot; thanks much, Delamore.

(*That or "Survival Kids" for the old gameboy. Same concept as this, basically.)

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

I found this a few weeks ago... it ended up being the first game in a long, long time that I would play for an entire day off. I had a blast loading up a random map and building a little self-sustaining fortress to keep me safe from the lions. This is an excellent game, in my mind... though, I am probably biased, as I also love survival games, and there is a saddening lack of them in existance. Speaking of, does anyone else know of any games like this?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

That looks like a lot of fun, but this poor little laptop would cry for mercy if I tried to run it.  That, and the evil inherent in this touchpad would plot against me, waiting to strike at the worst possible time.

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rabek Jeris:
Speaking of, does anyone else know of any games like this?

Notrium has the whole survival aspect and such.
Wurmonline might be seen as survival for the first few days, but later on its bad.
Unreal World is a roguelike survival game.
Sadly there are not  a whole lot of good quality survival games, and even then non with multiplayer.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

Aw, that's a shame, Kagus. The system requirements are really low, but the touchpad would be terrible.

Looks very interesting. I built a shelter on a hill, managed to fish and catch some food, as well. I like how many different items can be made, and the cleverness in making them. It challenges you to think surprisingly more than I thought it would.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

Tried Notrium.  I'm not sure which of these I prefer.  Notrium is more realistic, and has graphics I prefer(I can't stand low-quality 3d graphics.  Graphics must be excellent, 2d, or nonexistent).  The main problem is a lack of on-screen warnings when a stat is low, if you're too busy trying to find something, you'll just spontaneously die; and a lack of randomization.  It doesn't look like the planet is very big, and it seems to have a storyline, which I don't like in this kind of game.  I'd rather sit there and try to survive without worrying about some kind of escape.

Stranded has the randomization/world size thing down, the islands I've seen are indeterminably large.  The problem is a lack of realism(It takes 35 sticks to build a torch, wtf?), extremely annoying difficulty(Easy has no enemies and plenty of health, Medium has so many enemies it's impossible to find a place to camp, and Hard has so many enemies you can't even walk, and when you jump into the water to get away, two or three sharks grab you.)  It also has the aforementioned graphical suckiness.

Shoes...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

Stranded (II) - Got bored after 15 mins.

Notrium - Always get killed by chasing aliens.

Unreal World - The best of the three, bought it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

I could never get into Unreal World, for some reason.

The little aliens are easy to kill in Notrium, but you need a ranged weapon for the big ones.

Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

From what I read, there are a lot of neat things you can do/make in Stranded... taming animals, for one. I tried Notrium: probably the only Sci-Fi survival game I've ever seen. Finished the tutorial and I like the combat and weather/temperature. I've had Unreal World for a while; it's a good game, but certain things tick me off to no end (within miles and miles of wilderness, you may find ... one squirrel; if you're lucky!) But I love the spiritual/mystical elements of it, the sound, and the style.

Thanks a lot for the links! There goes the time I was going to spend studying, hehe.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

I had another go at Stranded.  The Adventure mode is infinitely better, the random island generator isn't very good and mostly produces low, jagged noise.  The adventure island is the perfect size, with a good variation in supplies, and not so many enemies I can't survive, but not too few to get supplies either.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

If you get tired of adventure mode, make a map / find a map yourself, to get around the random map issue. I've only been playing Adventure.

Scared to death I'm going to chop all the trees down and murder myself.

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 03:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>If you get tired of adventure mode, make a map / find a map yourself, to get around the random map issue. I've only been playing Adventure.

Scared to death I'm going to chop all the trees down and murder myself.</STRONG>

If you check your character skills, get click planting and you can see when you can plant trees.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

The thing that scares me most is that it's all Blitz3D...  just how slow does it run?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 11:31:00 am »

For PIII 256 RAM 64Mb Gforce MX 400 it runs smoothly. With such level of graphics...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25