Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: GOG.com conference June 5th - 'Next Step for GOG.com'  (Read 5011 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: GOG.com conference June 5th - 'Next Step for GOG.com'
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 11:31:05 am »

I trust GOG a lot more than most gaming companies these days, but as with everything in life (and especially business), you have to wonder whats in it for them.

My guess, for this one, Desura, and the Humble Android App is:

"Hey, that Steam thing is kinda cool... let's do something like that.  Can't be too hard, right guys?  Right?"

In contrast, my guess for EA Origin and Ubisoft Uplay is:

"Valve is making megabucks on that Steam thing.  And that money is coming out of our pockets.  Let's turn that around on them.  We have to maximize corporate value for our shareholders, after all."

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 11:40:55 am »

Hm, Good Old Games did have that "regional pricing on entire game list" thingy a few months back. They did go back on that due to the communities dislike of the idea. My opinion of the company is pretty positive, they've done a lot of good work getting so many games on their store as well as support and fixing ones that didn't work terribly well on modern machines.

I wonder if the client could be used to determine users location. Weeellll... looking at the main page while logged in, they have region pricing on "The Witcher 3" so, eh. They already know that.

On a less cynical note. I wonder if they'll be working with the number of communities which have already worked on multiplayer clients for old games. I remember there being one for "Populous 3: The Beginning".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 11:43:26 am »

Multiplayer? Haha, yes! MAGOG rises!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2014, 04:05:51 pm »

I trust GOG a lot more than most gaming companies these days, but as with everything in life (and especially business), you have to wonder whats in it for them.

"Hey, that Steam thing is kinda cool... let's do something like that.  Can't be too hard, right guys?  Right?"
Desura is a sort of DRM in itself, and the Humble android app is branching out into new tech which is a fair enough goal.

As cynical as it may sound, I really can't believe that any business (especially one that does well - as GOG does) is going to just randomly undertake a huge project like that just for fun/to be nice. I mean, it just doesn't make any business sense, especially with how much work they'd have to put into it (which will be mega-loads). Even as a gesture of 'good will'/publicity thing, it'd make little sense as they sorta don't have competition for what I assume their primary market (buying old games) is.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »

Desura is a sort of DRM in itself, and the Humble android app is branching out into new tech which is a fair enough goal.

As cynical as it may sound, I really can't believe that any business (especially one that does well - as GOG does) is going to just randomly undertake a huge project like that just for fun/to be nice. I mean, it just doesn't make any business sense, especially with how much work they'd have to put into it (which will be mega-loads). Even as a gesture of 'good will'/publicity thing, it'd make little sense as they sorta don't have competition for what I assume their primary market (buying old games) is.

GOG does offer some modern indie games, which are also offered on Steam.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 10:46:49 am »

They offer quite a large number of indie games. You could have taken the 'Old' (and 'Good' if you're mean) out of GOG a long time ago.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 10:52:30 am »

They offer quite a large number of indie games. You could have taken the 'Old' (and 'Good' if you're mean) out of GOG a long time ago.

They did. They legally change the company's name to GOG, from GoodOldGames (spaces or no spaces, dunno).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 10:59:10 am »

Good Games doesn't have quite the same ring to it, though.

(Not to mention Games)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 2 [3]