Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39

Author Topic: Backstabbing treasure hunters RTD: Epilouge - Kashyyk won!  (Read 60535 times)

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Backstabbing treasure hunters RTD: Epilouge - Kashyyk won!
« on: November 12, 2008, 01:17:31 pm »

RTDs seem to be popular so I'm starting my own. I'm tweaking it a bit however.

I'll be using two 6d dices which will create a basic curve . This will make extremes more unlikely. The rolls will work like this:

For actions:
The example is kicking a stone
-1: (1 with a -2) Ouch, just ouch. (You fall and impale yourself on your sword, massive damage to your heart.)
0: (1 with a -1): Epic failure. (You miss and break you sword)
1: Dismal failure causing disaster. (You miss, fall and break your leg)
2: Massive failure causing undesirable results. (You miss and break a toe)
3: Complete failure with slight undesirable results. (You miss and bruise a toe)
4: Failure but nothing bad happens. (You miss)
5: A third success. (You push the stone along slightly)
6: Half success. (It goes a short distance)
7: Success but no other good results. (It goes a good distance)
8: Large success. (It flies through the air)
9: Massive success. (It flies a massive distance)
10: Incredible success with slight other benefits. (It flies through the air and underneath it you find a coin)
11: Incredible success with large other benefits. (It flies through the air and reveals a secret door in a wall)
12: Incredible success with massive benefits. (It flies through the air and underneath you find a poisoned dagger)
13 (When you get a +1 with a 12): Incredible success with incredible benefits. (It flies through the air and reveals a hidden hole containing a magic sword)
14  (12 + 2): incredible success with extreme benefits. (The stone is smashed beyond all recognition and in the powder is a magic gem which grants +2 to mind powers.)

I'll also have mind powers. These are balanced to be fair. They are much more effective than weapons (you can insta-kill by severing nerves in the brain) but if you fail they fail a lot worse than weapons (you could sever an artery inside your head.)

If you have no skill in an action (except for basic actions like eating or making a fire) it's automatically -1. You have three +1s which you may assign whichever way you like among the skills. You could get +3 in one or +2 in one and +1 in another. The skills are:

Agility (Affects dodge)
Strength (Affects attack damage)
Training (Affects attack chance of hitting)
Mind powers kinetic (Moving objects, handy for insta-kills by severing nerves in the brain)
Mind powers forces (Fireballs, wind etc. Used in the enviroment to start a fire, break open a door etc.)
Mind powers healing (Handy for fixing internal injuries. A medic is also unlikely to get killed soon)
Healing normal (Bandages and splints, less effective but can't go so disastrously wrong as mind powers)
Senses (Affects finding hidden stuff and negates minus in dodge when backstabbed)

Combat works like this

Roll for hit chance.
Roll for dodge chance.
If hit is bigger than dodge the blow hits.

Roll for damage caused. (E.g. Major artery severed)

Counter attack which follows the same mechanics as above.

No counter counter attacks.

Now for the fun parts:
Backstabbing someone (attacking them while they're distracted by doing something like fighting a bear) is -3 to his dodge.
The skills are too much to be good at them all encouraging teamwork.

The plot is that you're treasure hunters that found a fabulous treasure inside a jungle. It's very heavy and split up between you. For each 10% of the treasure you carry beyond the first 10% -1 to all actions except mind powers. Last player standing that makes it out of the jungle wins. Scheming is encouraged. Private messages are allowed between players on the condition that the moderator (me) is sent a copy. You may change the treasure distribution by giving a player a certain amount of your treasure but he has to accept it. This doesn't count as taking up a turn. When a player dies his treasure is equally divided between the remaining players. His items all go towards his killer if a player killed him and dropped on the floor to be picked up be the player that rolls the highest if not.

So in the beginning you'll have to work together and keep each other alive as pack donkeys and meat shields. Later in the game as you near the end of the jungle the backstabbing and cheating will begin. Lying and in game threats are allright (E.g. give me all your treasure or I'll kill you with my sabre while you've got a broken arm). Insults are never OK. Neither is carrying grudges beyond the game (hating someone for cheating you after this game has finished).

All players start with quantum backpacks (the adventure mode kind), a machete (+1 to damage, -1 to hit chance), a dagger (-1 to damage, +1 to hit chance), enough food to last 10 turns and a full waterbottle which has 6 days worth of drinks. A player gets hungry every 5 turns (dies in 30 turns without food) and thirsty every 3 (dies in 9 turns without water). They start in the jungle in a group.

Sign-ups closed.
1. Fenrir, Mind Powers Healing +1, Strength: +2. Semi skilled in healing he is really trained as a warrior; his powerful blows will be needed.
2. Banzayatc, +3 mind powers forces. A budding fire mage.
3. webadict, +3 mind powers kinetic. Rejecting using energy like Banzayatc he modifies matter.
4. Kashyyk, +1 sense, +1 Mind powers kinetic, +1 Training. Only semi trained in the mind powers he is an all rounder.
5. Jay Kayell, +3 mind power forces. Another treasures trained in manipulating energy. He prefers lightning but can use any force well.

EDIT: Added players.
Also, you may try to create items from thin air, but it is -6 and there is no skill for it. Changing an item has less of a penalty. The similar the item is to what you want the less. Changing the balance of a sword to make it more effective is -1 and has a lot of potential to improve it.

Important: When using mind powers, the less laws of physics you break and the less worse you break them the better chance of succeeding. Severing a nerve is little penalty as it is little change, breaking every bone in a players body is -6 because it requires a massive amount of change. A clever use of mind powers is essential to using it at all. Try to think creatively. E.g. instead of blowing a door open unscrew the hinges from the wall.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 05:27:08 pm by Martian »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Backstabbing treasure hunters RTD
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:19:07 pm »

I can't believe I'm doing this, but sign me up!

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 01:23:50 pm »

When signing up please remember to say where you want your three +1s. Thanks.

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:38:05 pm »

Finally, RTD with free player slots :) Count me in.
+1 Agility, +1 Senses, +1 Mind powers forces
On a second thought...
+3 Mind powers forces! I'm gonna be a fire mage! :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:12:18 pm by Banzayatc »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 02:44:24 pm »

I suppose I'll be in. With Kinetic Mind Powers +3 of course. I'll probably need a Healing Mind Power person to help me, but I'll team up with you Mr. Fire Mage.

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 02:47:50 pm »

Of course you'll team up with me. You don't want to be burned alive, do you? :)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 02:49:44 pm »

I could probably do a Mind Force Push on the rubble...

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:50:27 pm »

This looks very mad, Very DF in fact!!!

+1 sense
+1 Mind powers kinetic
+1 Training

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 03:01:55 pm »

I'll join!

+3 mind powers forces. If a specific focus is necessary I'll pick lightning.
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 03:05:50 pm »

Oops, sorry. I really shouldn't have skimmed.

Mind Powers Healing: +1
Strength: +2

EDIT: Wait, we can pick a specific focus for our mind powers?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:13:17 pm by Fenrir »

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 03:12:35 pm »

EDIT: Wait, we can pick a specific focus for our mind powers?
No, the focus is just flavour. It has no effect on the game and a mind powers forces with lightning as flavour is just as skilled when using heat.

EDIT: Unless you meant the focus as something like healing, then yes. But you may only pick those listed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:14:37 pm by Martian »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 03:16:32 pm »

No, the focus is just flavour. It has no effect on the game and a mind powers forces with lightning as flavour is just as skilled when using heat.

EDIT: Unless you meant the focus as something like healing, then yes. But you may only pick those listed.
I understand now. Are you really going to be able to handle ten players? I hear that rolling takes a while, and you've got more complex combat then the other RTDs, I think.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 03:19:18 pm »

I understand now. Are you really going to be able to handle ten players? I hear that rolling takes a while, and you've got more complex combat then the other RTDs, I think.
Good point. Especially as I'm new to RTD's. I'm starting the game with 5 players. Flavour text and official start coming in a few moments.

EDIT: Here's it:

Each player starts with 20% of the treasure and so -1 to all actions straight from the start. Dodge still applies when using mind forces.

"They five had set out to hunt for an Aztec treasure deep in the jungles. They had searched hard and long until all their food was almost gone. At last they found it, hidden in a large stone coffin half buried under tree roots. The loot was so large they could barely carry it all and were weighed down. Most of them were trained in mind powers and they considered a solution to carry it more easily but were interrupted by nightfall. The next morning they woke up and started pondering what to do."

It is now turn 1. Please preface all actions with Action in bold. Please remember to send a copy of all game related messages to the mod. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:27:23 pm by Martian »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 03:52:05 pm »

I use my kinetic mind powers to modify my blade for better aerodynamics.

Matter manipulation at its finest.

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 03:59:06 pm »

I use my fire magik to make my machete constantly flaming.

I also offer my help if anyone wants to make their blade flaming, too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39