Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tome  (Read 2051 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Tome
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

For those interested: there is a new Tome version released. 2.3.5.
Linux and Mac versions are up, Windows version expected this weekend.
Mostly bugfixes but still an unexpected release.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tome
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »

is this a very cool game?...it looks very cool....
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

I've played TOME and TomeNet. I've gotten stuck in this dungeon, and the exit, or at least I think it is locked.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

Troubles Of Middle Earth (T.O.M.E.) is another roguelike set in the world of Tolkien. It is reasonably deep, lots of items, weapons and spells.
The character building system is more D&D like than for instance Nethack, and it features a world map which is not random (middle-earth) with random dungeons and also pre-built special levels.
I think Nethack is more challenging to master, but T.O.M.E. is definitely worth giving a try (prepare for a lot of YASD and YAAD)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »

I'm addicted to LostSoul mode.  One of these days I'm going to snatch an epic item out from under one of these things' noses, and then I'm going to kill one of these things, and it'll level me up like 50 times.  Then it's time to start running.
Shoes...

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

I'm not so much a fan of this.  It's got some weird design decisions (assassins don't have stealth abilities?!  WHAT?!!) and is quite frankly prohibitively hard - I realize that's the allure of roguelikes (heck, it's what's kept me playing them so much) but after 20 characters that haven't cleared level 2, I'm getting a little too frustrated.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

That's weird.  The farthest I've gotten is level 8 of the Barrow Downs, and character level 12 or 13.

EDIT:  A hint.  If you want to level fast, make a RohanKnight Swordmaster, and go down the staircase in town, in the building.  You'll lose all your equipment and end up in a prison cell.  Hit C, and then E and T until your explore and tactics are set to Berserker/Running.  Go east a bit and get your equipment back.  A bunch of bandits will attack.  Tear through them, they'll be easy in Berserker/Running.    Once you kill all of them, you should be at level 4 or 5.  That's when you go to the Barrow Downs.  If you hear a voice say "Leave me alone, stupid -Insert Monster Here-" it's a princess.  If you can kill the monster(s) she is referring to, she'll give you a very good magic item.  I once got a Shocking Broadsword of Undead Slaying, with a really good attack bonus.  Like 7 I think.

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Cthulhu ]

Shoes...