Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquaria!  (Read 2512 times)

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquaria!
« on: December 08, 2007, 02:41:00 am »

Aquaria just got released and it's a blast!  Try it out, ascii junkies  :D
http://www.bit-blot.com/

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquaria!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

Yup, I've been waiting for that game.
Unfortunately, their website seems to be down.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 11:16:00 am »

The link refuses to work for me either,  :(  could someone explain what kind of game it is so that I know if I should keep track of this tread?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:15:00 pm »

It's ... hard to describe.  In terms of moving, if you've played Ecco or other underwater platformers, it's like that.  Yeah, I can't explain it well.  Combat is similar to space platformers.  Meh~  guess you'll have to wait for the website to come back up for a better description  :p

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

I got the demo, so without revealing too much, its less like a game, and more like a feast for your eyes and ears.

The music and looks are just absolutely hauntingly beautiful. There are tons of things everywhere, and at times, your not entirely sure what wants to eat you, and whats just interested in you. For the first good portion of the demo, your swimming about (using the left mouse button to swim about), no seemingly gravity
is applied. After a bit, you get your spell that allows you to move objects around  
You cast all your spells with the right mouse button and holding it near your character. Finally, during the last third of the demo, you get your energy form, which is the first one that allows you to actively attack back those enemies. Its alot of fun and the rest of the demo becomes alot more challenging afterwords.

I wouldn't say its anything like a platformer, its more of a freeroam(ish), go-at-a-slow-pace -and- enjoy-everything-your-senses-are-feeding-you game, versus one where you just run through trying to beat.

Thats my two pennies.

Melody.

Edit: At least for the parts I played, gravity still isn't applied to you, in any of the forms. But it is to objects you move around, so if you stop moving them around they will drop. This is how I killed some fishies without having my energy form first. Hope that cleared up any questions before they get asked, but feel free to ask them anyways!

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Kayla ]

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla:
<STRONG>I got the demo, so without revealing too much, its less like a game, and more like a feast for your eyes and ears.

The music and looks are just absolutely hauntingly beautiful. There are tons of things everywhere, and at times, your not entirely sure what wants to eat you, and whats just interested in you. For the first good portion of the demo, your swimming about (using the left mouse button to swim about), no seemingly gravity
is applied. After a bit, you get your spell that allows you to move objects around  
You cast all your spells with the right mouse button and holding it near your character. Finally, during the last third of the demo, you get your energy form, which is the first one that allows you to actively attack back those enemies. Its alot of fun and the rest of the demo becomes alot more challenging afterwords.

I wouldn't say its anything like a platformer, its more of a freeroam(ish), go-at-a-slow-pace -and- enjoy-everything-your-senses-are-feeding-you game, versus one where you just run through trying to beat.

Thats my two pennies.

Melody.

Edit: At least for the parts I played, gravity still isn't applied to you, in any of the forms. But it is to objects you move around, so if you stop moving them around they will drop. This is how I killed some fishies without having my energy form first. Hope that cleared up any questions before they get asked, but feel free to ask them anyways!

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Kayla ]</STRONG>

Geez, there's a proper review than mine  :p
I'm kind of stuck on the demo.  I finished all the areas I can think of, and there seems to be nothing to do now.  Have you gotten to this point, Kayla?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

Might be something wort looking into.

Is it in the caliber of Battleships Forever, Cortex Command, Noctis, or even DF? (NOT implying those games are equally good, but that general design strategy that results in very good games, "fey mod" development)

From the descriptions it sounds somewhat like Battleships Forever mixed whit flow, whit spells?

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »

Kinda, minus the make-your-own-ship thing. Its definately in the caliber of those games.

As for the help, there is a place called the Song cave, or something. You go in there, and near the bottom right are three rocks with symbols on them. four symbols. Then you go to the middle of the song cave, there will be a big door. You cast those four symbols (your song notes), and it will open up, eventually giving you the 'bind' spell. Which is what you use to move the rocks. If you passed that, then you go towards the left of the map, to get the power form, and if your passed the power form, thats about the end of the demo.

Based on what the spell screen looks like, I think theres upwards of 20+ spells to eventually find.

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 05:49:00 pm »

Downloading now, thanks for the links!
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »

I downloaded the demo aaaaand...

AWESOME GAME!  :D

Might even be wort buying, might, I'm kind of greedy, also DF is FREE, but should I ever want the sin called eyecandy this is DAMN mutsh better than any "crysis".

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 08:54:00 pm »

I've been looking forward for this game, but it kinnna bores me. Still good tho.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 11:05:00 pm »

Now I'm the one who is stuck. Just right after you defeat the energy god (the big merman with the claw thingy), when you go up, there is a temple thing that requires a pearl too. Ive checked everywhere, and the only place that resembles something that might have a pearl, is a suspicious plant near the end of that screen. Except I cant get it open, any ideas?

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 12:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla:
<STRONG>Now I'm the one who is stuck. Just right after you defeat the energy god (the big merman with the claw thingy), when you go up, there is a temple thing that requires a pearl too. Ive checked everywhere, and the only place that resembles something that might have a pearl, is a suspicious plant near the end of that screen. Except I cant get it open, any ideas?</STRONG>

That was the part I was referring to when I said I was stuck   :D

But I figured it out.  Actually, I never figured out how to get that pearl in that temple, but go back outside.  As your home is in the middle, go past it to the right, where there are three caves.  The lowest one should have a pearl, which  you should put in the middle cave.  Now you're in the new area   :D

[ December 09, 2007: Message edited by: RustedAxe ]