Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Guns Skill Suggestion  (Read 3423 times)

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guns Skill Suggestion
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 02:21:58 am »

I think consolidating the weapon skills is a great idea, and as was mentioned previously - anyone keen on "individualizing" people will not a problem. In any case; YOU were the person who gave them a weapon arbitrarily in the beginning, right? Why is that less silly? I make sure every single one of my soldiers are trained in EVERYTHING, then I give them selective tasks. If one dies, his position is either temporarily reinstated (if he is important enough) by one of his squadmates, or I find another person to train.

Personally I never saw much use in having to train every weapon skill individually; but I did like the idea of practising "sniping" and so forth. I'd rather have it called "Long Range Combat" and "Close Quarters Combat" than burst and snipe though; as that would allow for a broader spectrum of possibilities (for example; the further back in your squad you are, the less effective a person with high "close quarters" skill would get, whereas a "long range" squadmember with poor "close quarters" would find it difficult to hit anything from the front. Perhaps a damage bonus/multiplier should be in place if you are at the very tip or the very back of your squad, depending on your skill?

Obviously the squadmember would use whichever skill he would be most efficient with in his position (but perhaps there could be a roll on tactical [I found a use for tactical! Woo!] and intelligence?).

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2008, 09:13:06 am »

I like that idea, too.

Longer rifles (M16, AR-15, M4) should give a bonus to sniping. Shorter (or more effective at a close range) weapons (shotgun, AK-47, pistols, SMGs) would be better for CQB. Of course you can easily use a pistol for sniping. You just get a bonus if you're using a weapon for the job, on top of what you already get for the skill you have.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2008, 10:41:39 am »

As it stands, the only sniping is when police snipers pick off your people during sieges. I can't really see how this would be changed, unless it's a completely new feature. For normal combat, bear in mind these guys can just as easily hit each other with knives and bats as they can shoot back and forth. You could say the person at the back of the squad is sniping, but that really doesn't make much sense if you think about it.

Combat in LCS is almost universally short range, room to room indoor urban combat; this is why accuracy bonuses and penalties on guns are based more on how light and maneuverable they are than how accurate the guns are at range. While LCS does use the same kind of space abstraction that leads to seven elephants crawling over one another in the same space that earlier was only large enough to fit one dwarf, I still can't see LCS combat taking place at ranges of more than ten meters, tops.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2008, 05:11:59 pm »

Then perhaps the skills would be best suited as "semi-automatic" and "burst-fire" as previously suggested (I think?); but I still vote for consolidation of the weapons. It's just so much less hassle.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 02:57:22 am »

Perhaps three sets of skills: Small arms, which would be all the pistols, Rifles, which would be any single shot weapon not concealable under normal clothing, and Automatics, which would be any weapon with burst fire. In addition, a general Firearms skill that has a ceiling of straight agility as opposed to the more specific categories 2x agility and gets 1/8 of the skill gains every time a weapon is fired. Weapons use whichever category is higher.

Personally, I keep a low profile until I have a decent stock of money and have obtained an Agent or similar with a decent set of weapons scores. I then purchase AR-15's if they are still legal or M4's if gun control is moderate for as many liberals as I can. I then let the sieges break on my wall of lead as my men train rifle skills and eventually start going on raids.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 11:16:05 am »

Perhaps three sets of skills: Small arms, which would be all the pistols,

Getting in before the rush: call it sidearms, if you want to go this route. Less confusing and ambiguous.

(Still in favor of "Guns" myself, with the possibility of an additional "Assault" or somesuch skill added for automatics.)
Pages: 1 2 [3]