Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tom Proudfoot site update!  (Read 3504 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Proudfoot site update!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

Of course, it probobly takes about 5 hours to play a single season that way...  :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »

Yeah, I'm not sure that would work out.  You might get an RSI from pressing . that much.  I think it's fairly relaxed for a real-time game since it pauses when you are doing anything, pretty much, but I can understand if it's not your thing.  Adventure mode is turn-based, but it isn't all that fleshed out yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

Though itīs nice the autopausing, sometimes I wish that the game wouldn't pause when you are looking at dwarf's thoughts, reading engravings and such. When you are just distracting yourself.

SkeleTony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://http://home.earthlink.net/~skeptic69/index.html
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

Yeah I tried. Generated a new world(AGAIN!) and by the time it was done I was tired so I thought maybe I would just quit out and try to play the next day when I woke up.

A half hour later I was still looking for a way to quit the game without just manually shutting down my PC. I finally just mashed and held down keys until that title screen with the "quit" option came back(no idea which key-press finally triggered this).
I am thinking a simple 'ctrl + q' or some such to quit the game from anywhere would be delicious. Every time I tried to return to the title screen by selecting that option from the menu that comes up when you hit the escape key I just got re-directed to more "How To" and options screens.
If it takes me that long just to quit a game and I still do not know how to do it then that is a pretty good sign that I cannot play this. This thing is like Civilization in real time and without the graphical UI.

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: SkeleTony ]

quot;I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know"-James Randi

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

DF relates to Civilization like The Lord of the Rings relate to a Donald duck comic.   :D

(Edit: spelling)

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Armok ]

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 12:27:00 am »

i, too, am a turn based only guy but i like DF a lot...i don't have to pay attention to what the lil buggers ar doing...they don't pay attention much to me either...once you get used to the key commands it's easy enough....
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2007, 07:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SkeleTony:
<STRONG>A half hour later I was still looking for a way to quit the game without just manually shutting down my PC. I finally just mashed and held down keys until that title screen with the "quit" option came back(no idea which key-press finally triggered this).</STRONG>
That really sounds like an exaggeration... I cannot believe anyone who enjoys roguelikes - of all things - would find it so difficult.

1. Press ESC
2. Save or Abort/Abandon/Succumb/Rest/Retire

My dwarves are not your dwarves.
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2007, 08:22:00 pm »

Actually I recall a similar problem when I first started playing. I'd go to the menu and instead of hitting enter I'd hit spacebar and get totally confused by being redirected to tutorials. This was on my 1st attempt at running the game and nearly overwhelmed me.

@SkeleTony: I'd really suggest you give it an honest go, taking the time to get comfy with the devilish UI. Missing out on a great game, possibly one of the best ever, because of a play style seems almost tragic to me. (Note I'll play games of any mode\genre, provided I think they're worth playing. Unfortunately that's not many.)

Pages: 1 [2]